Sign in to follow this  
EpicChris

Squeak - I'm so confused how to use him

Hi folks, I've played a few games with Rats and I keep finding Squeak to absolutely useless. I see Dreadful Shriek as amazing but it's 1" and Squeak is SOOOO SLLLOOOWW. Also I don't want to spend 2 INF for the charge or pay for it (1 dice play) and Tac 3 to hit column 2 is...bad? His crap defence stats just see him getting taken out and generating momentum (and character plays in one painful experience).

How are people using this rat...cos' I'm definitely using him WRONG! (I wish he was DEF 5...then at least he could run around crowding people out). Help meeeeee... :)

In my experience thus far (which is still fairly limited) he hunts utility mascots very well, while it’s not the greatest role in the world its relevant against things like Quaff, Strongbox and Coin.

I think similar it's a great character play, but is slow, i know tha have tag alon but i only use the first turn and maybe the second turn and have low defense...

Useful into unpredictable movement models that already activated.

Triggering the unpredictable for the main killer to go in next or risk you hitting the character play on the charge and walking them into a friend.

Also dont forget that his tag along triggers on this walk for the crowd out if you wish.

I did try him with graves heroic but it was underwhelming in general....the 1 net hits is useful after disease has spread. Hes actually quite good into high def low hp models with the heroic as its a reliable 6 damage even if you miss every roll.

During my games this weekend, I just used Squeak to help with gang ups.  I normally did not allocate him any INF, as I always thought it was spent better on the other models. 

11 hours ago, Stephen78 said:

I did try him with graves heroic but it was underwhelming in general....the 1 net hits is useful after disease has spread. Hes actually quite good into high def low hp models with the heroic as its a reliable 6 damage even if you miss every roll.

Please will you explain how you get to the "reliable 6 damage"?

I read this last night. Looked at the cards, slept on it, read the cards again and still can't work it out.

Bill

With the heroic from Graves2, Squeak gets +1 damage. And Squeak gets +1 net hits if the target has less health than Squeak. So even if you miss all your rolls, you still get the 1 net hit which is 1 damage, going to 2 with the heroic. On 3 attacks you will then always do at least 6 damage.

8 minutes ago, Mootaz said:

With the heroic from Graves2, Squeak gets +1 damage. And Squeak gets +1 net hits if the target has less health than Squeak. So even if you miss all your rolls, you still get the 1 net hit which is 1 damage, going to 2 with the heroic. On 3 attacks you will then always do at least 6 damage.

Sorry for being dumb :wacko:

I think the downside of this tactic is that it costs 3 INF & 1 MOM, and you might not generate any MOM.  The opportunity cost is the 3 INF that could have been placed on another model.  I found that I normally was placing 6 on Piper, so with 3 on Squeak, that only left 4 to allocate to the rest of the team.

Piper is a thirsty beast isn't he. I start by trying to not to allocate 6 to him...and then by the end of the phase he somehow has 6 INF... :)

3 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Piper is a thirsty beast isn't he. I start by trying to not to allocate 6 to him...and then by the end of the phase he somehow has 6 INF... :)

Yes he is.  You have to put 5-6 INF on him as he is the center piece of the team, and you need to threaten a goal run.  On turn 1, you also need think about 3-4 INF on Miasma for Rataclysm, so it just does not leave a lot to allocate to Squeak.

Think of dreadful shriek as less of a jog and more of a push. Lets say you got squeek and vetgraves (or any decent pusher really) together take a wing. If some cheeky striker or other model tries to get within 6 inch (average jog) of the edge, squeek can come in make them jog to the edge of the pitch. Vet graves has great push results and can easily get an extra VP. 

If the opponent haa already moved, then outside of a pass or special ability that model is likely dead even if you have to wait until the next turn to activate your pusher. 

Better yet if they get first activation next turn and squeek is engaging. They will burn influence just trying to disengage so they can run away and save their model. And you can likely repeat what you did previous turn. 

Make an enemy model (especially Furious ones) go stand on the obstruction - and they can't charge this turn any more. :D  

17 minutes ago, Sid said:

Make an enemy model (especially Furious ones) go stand on the obstruction - and they can't charge this turn any more. :D  

Enemy models under your control can never advance over an obstruction. (RB p48)

He’s an influence battery and a mobile crowd out.

his counter attack is strong but I think trying to rely on him for much is a mistake. 

He does however have a 14” threat on reverie and it’s  a tap it (eat your heart out salt)

In my games so far, Squeak usually stays in the middle, trying to fulfill two purposes: One, be in goal range for a cheeky Piper activation. Two, try to zone out important players that have committed to one flank, and is now trying to get back. If they come close, either make an attack into them or bonus time a shriek, whichever is most likely, and make them jog the opposite way. Most games he doesn´t really come into play, but if you can make a captain or a big time beater waste a turn on jogging back and forth, that is one influence you won´t regret spending! :) I originally wanted him to set up push outs, but it never quite seems to come together.

Yeah, I suspect he isn't going to do much on a regular basis.  The rest of the team is too influence dependent to really give him any regularly.  My normal turn is 6 on Piper, 2 or 4 on Miasma, and 3 on Scourge.  If Miasma only gets 2, it is usually to get Pelage somewhere she couldn't get to normally, or to buy an attack to try to hit the singled out, or to give Skulk one to either Horrensous Odor, or get him into a better spot for a Reverie goal.  Not sure why, but he has been my primary scoring threat so far.  That said, I gave Squeak one in a late turn in yesterday's game on a lark, and he was able to momentously take out Veteran Minx when I failed to kill her earlier in the turn.  I probably should start giving him some influence just to test out how much trouble I can cause with him with the shriek, but it just seems like the influence I gave him could be put to better use somewhere else in general.

Refresh my memory on Tag Along.  Can Tag Along trigger on the opening kick off?   If you kick off with Piper, can Squeak Tag Along?  I am thinking yes, but just wanted to double check. 

I am trying to think of ways to get our mascot more into the game.

1 hour ago, mr baron said:

Refresh my memory on Tag Along.  Can Tag Along trigger on the opening kick off?   If you kick off with Piper, can Squeak Tag Along?  I am thinking yes, but just wanted to double check. 

I am trying to think of ways to get our mascot more into the game.

I don't think he can as that happens before the game starts. Tag along is an in game action. The same sort of question was asked about Tentacles & Corsair. It will be in the rules questions somewhere.

As per the collected clarification thread:

Tag Along:- May not be used on the Jog during a kick-off, since this is a once per turn ability and the kick-off does not take place during a turn.