Sign in to follow this  
malladin.ben

Game balancing the butchers

With Season 4 now looming on the horizon and "balance passes" being mentioned by SFG, I thought we could have a bit of a fun game to brainstorm some changes for butchers models. Just for fun.

Based on a (possibly flawed) premise that butchers are just generally just a little bit below overall strength, but have fairly good internal balance, here's the game:

Each model gets only 1 change. That could be adding or swapping out a new character play or trait, a new result adding to the playbook, or a tweak to a stat. If, and only if, the change has a knock-on effect (such as a TAC buff or removing a GB play creating an empty column on, or needing adding in to, the playbook) you may also correct the knock-on effect.

Everyone gets a positive change except Meathook who needs a negative change.

Here's mine:

Ox: Tough Skin becomes a play that gives out Stoic

Fillet: Quick Foot becomes Quick Time

Princess: Gains Make It Rain (allows rabid animal on a parting blow)

Truffles: Gets back Smell Blood

Boar: Gains non-momentous 2 KD on column 6

Boiler: Gains non-momentous 2 >< on his 4th column.

Brisket1: 1dmg on col 1 becomes 1<

Brisket2: Quick Time becomes Acrobatic

Gutter: Add momentous 2>> to col 4.

Meathook: Lose Smell Blood

Shank: Swap Thousand Cuts for a new play: Taunt (CST 1/GBGB, RNG P, SUS Y, OPT Y - If target enemy model makes an attack against a model other than this model they suffer -2 TAC).

Tenderiser: Hard to narrow down all the ideas for this guy into just one change, but that's the game. Part of the problem is that goalkeepers just don't gel well with my playstyle, but i know others do get good use out of him. In light of this I'd move his KD down to the 1st column, replacing it with a T>> so that he can do that goalkeeping job properly, and be a decent threat if he gets into the scrum.

Your turn!

Cheerio,

Ben

Tenderizer brings 2 influence.

Princess 1dmg on 1 is momentous and gains hobble trait instead of rabid animal.

VetOx gets Rowdy as a trait and the 1dmg on 1 is momentous. 

Otherwise I am pretty content. 

This sounds interesting and I'll give it a go, much of which will be agreeing with the above.

Fillet: I like swapping Quick Foot for Quick Time.

Ox: I like the idea of switching Tough Skin with Stand Firm(Sturdy).

Princess: Either Hobble or Follow Up to harry models.

Truffles: Make Hog Wild a character trait.

Boar: Seems fine, so the 2KD on the sixth column sounds good.

Boiler: Possibly too much, but Get Over Here[Princess].

Brisket: A reliable dodge, probably 1< on first column.

vBrisket: I rarely find myself using it on other models so changing to Acrobatic sounds good.

vGutter: I have yet to put her on the table, but Grapple Hook being able to target friendly or enemy models seems much more interesting.

Meathook: Seems fine to me, possibly lose Sanguine Pool?

vOx:  I've never been able to get much if any work out of him so I'll leave this to others.

Shank: I know the game states only one change per player, but I could see him becoming better at ball handling or fighting.  If ball handling, change KICK to 2/8"(not any more accurate, but better at getting the ball where it needs to go).  If fighting, a trait to go after returning players such as "And Stay Down: This model gains [+1] damage to Playbook damage results against players at or below their Icy Sponge level".

Tenderiser: Definitely feels like he needs a rework.  For a different idea give him Poised while within 4" of the friendly goal-post.  It still won't stop a lot of strikers getting goals, but does make it a bit more tricky to bounce off of.

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

The only change I’d like to see is Tenderiser bringing 2. Butchers have some of the best players in the game in there roster (Meathook, looking at you) backed up by two strong and different captains.

That's not playing the game. It's just for fun, so join in! Plus, Meathook needs a nerf, that's one of the rules.

6 hours ago, number2648 said:

vOx:  I've never been able to get much if any work out of him so I'll leave this to others.

Lol I completely forgot about vet Ox.

So, one change to vet Ox: >> on 2, replacing it's position on 3 with 1>>. Let him swing people around like a looney.

Ox: Remove Tough Hide for "How it's done": Cost :GBGB: / Range: P / Zon 2" Aura / Sus: Yes / OPT: Yes

Friendly models within the aura gain +1 Tac.

Fillet: Change column 1 :1: to :momD:

Shank: Give him something to compensate for the max cap INfl 3 ( as SFG claims are done to all models with that max cap).

I'd like him to get Heroic play: From the flank
This model may use character play "Where'd they go?" without spending the Influence cost.

Tenderiser: Make him a INfl 2/4

Tried to keep them all clean and simple.

Ox: Momentous :2::P: on four hits

Fillet: Haemophilia also triggers on her Legendary

Princess: TAC5

Truffles: MOV 4/7

Boar: MOV 4/7

Boiler: Swift Stance cost changed to 2/:GB:. Move :GB: to column 3

Brisket1: TAC5. Might be too good.

Brisket2: Delete her second playbook column. Might also be too good.

vGutter: Add Life Drinker, or make Fan Favorite grant [2] MP. Don't think she needs much.

Meathook: Sanguine Pool range reduced to 1"

Shank: Add Trait - Whenever this model inflicts the Taken Out condition on an enemy, it may immediately use a Character Play without spending influence.

Tenderiser: 2/4 inf

vOx: Remove  playbook column 7, move the :mom4: to be on column 6

I kinda agree with @ForestRambo (btw my kids love your avatar) for the most part I think we have a strong (albeit varied) team.

but to play the game.

Fillet: (really guys I love quick foot!!) I think loose Haemophilia and give her either a more fighty ability, models damaged by this player gain bleed at the end of the activation? Or something like Bloody mess - Models suffering from the bleed condition must pay an extra MOM to use defensive stance, counter attack etc etc Or a more footbally one (while within 6" of a bleeding opponent she gets +1/+2 kick?_

Ox: I think he needs some way of dealing with strong counter attacks similar to what I have mentioned above for fillet

I like the idea of Hobble or weak point for Princess rather than rabid animal or blood

Truffles can have vindictive Human animal and mechanica

Boiler: Maybe make his 1dmg on 1 Momentous

Brisket:  :momD: on 1

vBrisket: Switch the :mom1: on 1 to a :momT:

Meathook can drop Scything blow for all i care

vOx I think needs to drop his :mom2: to the second column and have :PP: and :KD: on third column

Shank needs something bigger to make up for the 3 inf maybe a heroic that lets him use a cp for free (imagine free thousand cuts then 3 swipes inside the aura ooh baby)

Boar, maybe give him a mom concussion. Also there is literally no point of it being a double GB symbol on his card....

Tenderiser....... um at least make him a 2/4 but also change up his PB a bit, Tackle push on two maybe?

vGutter just something. Scything blow? Maybe change grapple hook to a dodge?

Ox: Gains Sturdy

Fillet: Gains Crucial Artery

Princess: Gains Oooh... Ball!

Truffles: Gains Furrow

Boar: New Character Trait - “Lives For Violence” When this model inflicts the taken-out condition, this model gains +1/+0 Inf for the remainder of the turn.

Boiler: Gains Get Over Here (Princess)

Brisket1: T< on column 1

Brisket2: 2” melee

Gutter2: Tac 6

Meathook: 2/6” kick

Ox2: Mom KD on colours 4

Shank: Gains Crucial Artery.

Tenderiser: Resculpt the model so he looks like he’s as big as he’s supposed to be.

I would like to see:

Ox: gain 2" melee

Fillet: take blood dance back to season 2

Truffles: loses hog wild and gains ramming speed

Shank: 2/4 influence, or make him a 2/8 kick

brisket2: balls gone moved to column three and loses the momentus T>

meathook: loses scything blow, change Hooked to only work on bleeding targets

Vox: Loses rowdy and is replaced with a new play that gives him a counter charge, 2 inf/GB

Tenderiser: 2/4 influence , 2 arm

Ox - gains Tough Hide or Sturdy

Fillet - Haemophilia either changes to work at the end of activation or back to S2 trait

Boar - gains Stoic or turnus concussion to MoM concussion on four

Boiler - switch place for >< and KD on his Playbook

oBrisket - gains momentous T< on two

vBrisket - gains non mom T on one

Meathook - looses Scything Blow

vOx - dunno, needs a complete rework IMO

Tenderiser - 2/4 inf

Shank - make him Vindictive or 2/4

vGutter - gains either Smell Blood or Crucial Artery

Princess - gains a 5th column with non mom KD to make her parting blow feared 

Truffles - Hog Wild becomes a trait

That is probably way too good and i can only dream. But still it is a pleasant dream.

Cheers 

Varred

Ox - Momentous Butchery on 5

Fillet - Clear up Haemophilia so that she heals regardless of initiative

Princess - Gains Between a Rock...

Truffles - Gains Smell Blood

Brisket - Gains Acrobatics

vBrisket - Swap Tackle dodge on 3 with Ball's Gone on 4

Meathook - Loses Sanguine Pool

Shank - Goes back to 2/4 influence, Where'd They Go? costs 2 influence (I know this is technically two changes but one is an overall game change so I'm going to leave it here :P)

Tendersier - 2/3 influence

vOx - The Old Ways changes to "If a model is taken out while engaged with this model..."

vGutter - Double push on 5

On ‎5‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Starlight said:

Boar: New Character Trait - “Lives For Violence” When this model inflicts the taken-out condition, this model gains +1/+0 Inf for the remainder of the turn.

Ummm how would this work, he has already activated and been allocated influence so.... for the rest of the turn he stands there with a grin saying to himself yay I'm a 2/1 inf player until the end of the turn when it won't be relevant at all...

1 hour ago, masterkdog said:

Ummm how would this work, he has already activated and been allocated influence so.... for the rest of the turn he stands there with a grin saying to himself yay I'm a 2/1 inf player until the end of the turn when it won't be relevant at all...

Boar (Furious) charges a model, takes that model out, gains +1 allocated INF, then starts punching another model that he's also engaging? +1/+0 INF on the off-chance that you can kill something on the charge (or with Berserk) and basically gain a single free allocated point of INF.

That's my guess, anyway.

So wording would need to change to: immediately gains 1 influence.

Otherwise it reads like he is gaining a statline bonus that can not be used on this turn as allocation of Influence has already occurred.

23 hours ago, masterkdog said:

So wording would need to change to: immediately gains 1 influence.

+0/+1 INF for the next turn would also do for me :)

2 hours ago, angyi said:

+0/+1 INF for the next turn would also do for me :)

Think I prefer this one, otherwise you risk taking out an opponent and getting 1 inf to spend on nothing as you are not engaging anybody else

21 minutes ago, irondesk said:

Wouldn't that make it the only ability in the entire game that carries over from one round to the next?

Not really. Take vBrisket's Above and Beyond and Bonesaw's Offensive Defense

On 29/05/2018 at 2:43 PM, ningu said:

Not really. Take vBrisket's Above and Beyond and Bonesaw's Offensive Defense

And of course Casket Time. Although Casket Time has the dubious honour of being the only play that lasts beyond a turn and still has an effect upon a model, even after the accompanying token has been removed.