Sign in to follow this  
AaronHypetrainWilson

Would you guys be interested in my ramblings?

33 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

Hey all, in the last month I've been mucking around with Butchers. I went 3-1 in my first event with them and went 4-0 this weekend with them. I was going to write a breakdown of the event etc, would this something people would be interested in? :)

Yes mate!

Yeah, pretty much interested in anything that has to do with Butchers and tactics for playing tchem as I am at a complete block right now

Sorry about not getting this written up, real life is being a real dick right now. I had another this event weekend in Brighton U.K.

25 players & due to the pair down losing his game round 4 it went to 4 rounds. I went 4-0 and came 1st. That puts me 11-1 with Butchers in events... turns out they’re pretty good :) 

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

turns out they’re pretty good :)

Not trying to be cheeky, but are the Butchers good, or are you just good at the game?

I think that some players will just perform outstanding on any Guild, just because of their understanding of the game. I agree that the balance between Guilds is very close, but it takes a skilled player to take them to the top of the leaderboard.

N.B: I'm not trying to say that everyone that keeps losing with a particular Guild is just bad, but there ARE gradations of skill, that's just a fact. For example, I think that in a head-to-head with me, Aaron would 95% of the time come on top. But that doesn't make me a bad player, or make my Guild a badly balanced Guild, as in my current meta I nowadays usually win 75-80% of my games.

But I'm going way off topic here. Sorry for that. Just wanted to spew some of thoughts on this issue of rants about why something is bad or, as Aaron says, "pretty good".

Basically, the TLDR of my last post can be summarized as "imho skill > guild balance". There might've been a tad of grudge in there, as I am one of those that struggles to just go even on tournaments. Top 3 just feels so far out of reach, and then reading "I went 4-0, I am 11-1 now, Butchers are pretty good" can sting... :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

I'll always respond to that point in the same way, if a good player can go perform well with any guild surely that means that every guild is on a level pegging? :)

Totally agree on that, Aaron. It was not meant as a stab towards you or anything. My apologies if it did feel that way. :unsure: 

But let's get back to your Butcher ramblings. I'm mightily interested in what your take on the Guild is. I've always enjoyed reading your musings on the Hunters. :)

3 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

I'll always respond to that point in the same way, if a good player can go perform well with any guild surely that means that every guild is on a level pegging? :)

Well that depends on the average level of skill no?
If one player is above the skill curve than the rest of the field, then their choice of guild is less impactful as the innate skill disparity will be more emphasized.

Which is to say that most wins/losses are likely to have remained wins/losses regardless of which guild either player was using.

Where I think guild power comes into play is when the skill gap is consistently slim, or non-existent.

I hope it's clear I'm not saying this to take away from your results or conclusions, I definitely think the Butchers are in an okay-pretty good spot.

1 hour ago, Malritch said:

Any and all advice given... on any and all guilds... is very welcome by players like me ... striving for mediocrity!! :) Always enjoy reading your take on things @ForestRambo.

Just remember that for every winner, there must be a loser. So if it wasn't for the likes of us Forest Rambo would be a nobody! ;)

I will 100% get something written up soon. I’m currently doing a bunch of work on the house, paired with playing games and making sure my fiancé knows I exist my time to write things is super limited.

I have a event this weekend and the weekend after that (5 events in a row, then I have like a month break).