Kingpash

So what's your favourite thing about Guild Ball?

It's Friday and the internet needs a wee hint of positivity, so let's steer things into positive shores. 

Simple question: what do you enjoy most about Guild Ball?

For me, it's a number of things. 

Firstly, I like how well it works in a competitive environment.  Coming from a Warhammer background, I do not miss having a new "comp pack" for each event, not the various different restrictions and FAQs, plus different rulings on the same scenario.  These used to leave me exhausted at the end of the gaming day, Guild Ball doesn't do that.  I could happily play 5 games in the day and still feel human at the end of it.

Secondly, I like the size of what you need to bring.  I used to cart around a Battlefoam 720 bag to events and still need another box for all my widgets and stuff.  GB fits into a quarter size KR case and that has everything I need in it, if I take the bare minimum.  Of course, this hasn't stopped me from gathering widgets for every eventuality but I think that's more my own issue than the game!

Lastly, I think Guild Ball is just damn fun!  I enjoy playing games against new people, growing the community, and travelling for events.  I've been here since GB Season 1 and have been doing regular events.  I've yet to hear any horror stories to the level of what we used to get in other games systems.  Maybe GB just attracts a better class of gamer?  WHo knows but I thoroughly enjoy it and I plan to continue to do so for quite some time yet.

Now it's your turn ;)

I've played a few tabletop games but the thing that pushed me into GB was its competetive nature. 40K  style games just never scratched that itch.

I also come from a fighting game background (Mainly Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) and the number of comparisons between high level fighting games and GB seem super obvious, especially on a psychological level.

Character playbooks, ranges, individual skills, footsies, okizemi and threatening moves are a few of the things the games have in common.

1: clear and easy to learn ruleset with good core mechanics 

2: every model is valuable and brings something to the table; often, models mainly serve as expensive wound counters

3: models are awesome

1. Minimal Setup faff. Once you've agreed to play a game, you can setup the pitch, and build a list in a couple of minutes. I've played Guild Ball tournament where I've not even chosen a Guild before arriving at the event, let a long a roster. Not having to agree on missions and build lists makes it easier (and quicker) to try different things out

2. Each model and Guild plays and feels different, whilst still being balanced. You can pretty much pick and 2 guilds and they will have different playstyles, which actually makes it worth trying different guilds. 

3. The models are all awesome and full of character.

The game is a blast for all of the reasons listed previously... but it really has been the amazing people I have met in the last 6 months or so. If you game with fun, pleasant, respectful people...you are going to have a good time... plain and simple!

4 minutes ago, Malritch said:

The game is a blast for all of the reasons listed previously... but it really has been the amazing people I have met in the last 6 months or so. If you game with fun, pleasant, respectful people...you are going to have a good time... plain and simple!

This too! I went to my first GB tournament last February, place last, but still met some amazing people, to the point where it encouraged me to go out to more events. I'm not that much better at the game (still place around mid-table) but the games are always great fun.

I got in to it to support a new local company, and I just really fancied something that wasn't GW. 

I stayed involved because I've made some good friends through playing the game, and it's easy to arrange a meet up to play at my house, or to travel to a mates. You only need a small case and a widget box. 

I'm not actually very good at table top gaming, but it's rare I feel like I didn't do at least one very cool thing during a game of Guild Ball, and that's the main appeal for me. Cinematic gaming is my shiiiiit. 

The internal balance - right now I feel I could take any of the guilds to a event and have a chance of winning as long as I play well enough, that paired with the amazing Guildball community is what makes the game for me. Every tournament is a pleasure to go to for the social side!

It was the art and sculpts that originally peaked my interest.. After that it was the simplicity of the base rules mixed with the complexity and flexibility of team crafting that kept me buying and trying more things.. Lastly (but probably most importantly) the fluff makes me feel attached the the world and the characters / players in it.. 

Not having to check a rule book every five minutes. 

In fact, not having to check a rule book at all!

Seems like it should be simple to get right, but I don't know any other game that's managed it quite so effectively.

I got into it for the minis, I also love the artwork, feel and background. Since I've started doing tourneys I have to say it's the best gaming community I've seen.

So all those things are great, but I kind of feel they all hang off a tight, tactically deep, and clearly written rule set and cards. Plus continued support

Clear, elegant rules with a usually fast flowing and engaging game.

Deep tactical level where you can plan and plot to achieve what you want to achieve.

Great models, and small model count.

Also, I just love Guilds. Personally I blame endless reams of fantasy literature and PC games for that, and a certain Terry Pratchett. I think the world of Guild Ball is thoroughly entertaining - although I think they overplay the grim and dodgy characters angle... some people in the universe must be nice, honest and decent folk! :P

I got In on the Kickstarter and first It was the Miniatures that I loved about the game, I love painting and they are my favourite sculpts to paint.

Then when I played the game and see how well designed that rules are, the most accurate and tight game going.

Guild Ball has the best Community by far, I really enjoy going to events and all the friends I have made because of this Awesome Game (:

I love that there is a great design team that loves the game and keeps knocking out interesting teams. Well done Design Team. While SFG love the game, I will love the game.

Alternating activations and the enormous dept that gives the game, combined with clear and comparably simple rules.

Plastic and resin models.

The game size: Ease of set up and travel.

small count of models (i can collect all guilds :D ) ,  clear and simple rules with very fast forum help if something is not clear (lawyer guild great thing). 

* Clear rules that are easy to learn, but offers great depth the more you play the game.

* Factions that all feel different, with their own theme, strengths and weaknesses.

* Low model count. Makes it ok to sit down and paint them and even spend some extra time with details on the models.

* A really great community. Always helpful and supportive.

* Personally really enjoy the fluff. So dark and gritty, but still have elements that are a bit on the "silly" side, but without stepping over then line.

* Models that all feel different and in many cases manage to mesh the fluff of the character with the rules/traits/plays.

* Alternating activations. Think I'd have problems playing games that does not have it.

* Models returning to the game after being taken out/killed. Even losing a captain only means it comes back next turn again (unless Casket time.... Caaaaaaskeeeeeet!!!!)

* One set goal of the game, but two paths to get there (or more commonly, a mix of them).

* Nicely sculpted models that really fit the game (yes, even Colossuss and Farris).

Rules that when you look up a question you find the answer. 

Small model count

Faction variety

Playbook mechanic. 

I came from a pretty long history of competitive Warhammer 40k and before that I played Magic for longer then not at this point in my life.  Before Guild Ball getting my wife into gaming was an exercise in futility. 40k was too sci-fi and grim dark, magic was way too complicated and I was told I wasn't fun to play against.  She agreed to try a new game in the new year. I chose Guild Ball because it was probably the only game that met her list of requirements for a game she was willing to try.  She  really took to the game, the mini's are dynamic and  interesting, she really likes the  the fact that everyone has their own little card she can reference when she wants.  and she likes how fast the game feels.  Which is amazing for someone who's never played a tabletop game before. 

My experiences with the game compound upon that. It's a game that is quick to learn and has rules that 'make sense' in the context of the game.  I haven't had a game yet where I'd had a bad time playing and after each one  I always want a rematch.  From a competitive standpoint I feel like very few games I've played have been complete blow outs, Even against a pre-nerf farmers team, I was able to play  effectively around what I knew was coming. I still lost but  unlike in Warhammer or Magic  where  games can just be unfun in a competitive environment I still had a good time. 

Lastly, I love how every game is different,  I never know what to truly expect on the pitch.  The game has room for style, playing against each person even if its the third Blacksmiths player I'm sitting across from has been a different experience.   I'm all in on guild ball now, and have been slowing converting my old 40k friends over to the game, I'm excited for the future and can't wait to see what Steamfroged has in store for us. 

Low entry cost (even after buying tokens and dice for the factions).

Dynamic gameplay, particularly with drafting teams.  Unless you play the same faction against the same opponent running the same roster, the game feels fresh and fun, despite win conditions being the same every time.

Unique models means you aren't creatively blocked by having to paint a horde of identical models.  Combos well with the low model requirements, allowing you to paint each faction as a faction of characters, rather than an faction of rank and file.

Variety.  I play a large number of games (Warhammer 30k and 40k, Age of Sigmar, X-Wing, Infinity, and formerly Firestorm Armada, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War).  It's always nice to just have another game in the repertoire to break out for variety, and because of it's low model count and low entry cost, Guild Ball remains a refreshing game to always pick up or expand with whatever new guild tickles my fancy without heavy investment in time or money.

- Terminus -

On 04/05/2018 at 9:39 PM, Selfy said:

I'm really loving the all new alt Pride model. I've bought two, one for either side of my garden gate. :)

Very small garden, or just a small gate?

• Low entry cost.
  • Easy to learn the game very very hard to master
  • Amazingly detailed models
  • Easy to set up and play with low model count (having played 40k and Hobbit this is a big bonus)
  • Community is fantastic too.