Sign in to follow this  
AaronWilson.

Mataagi, first cross guild player spoiled

I'll say it again

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY. With that out of the way, one thing I think is really cool, is how he doesn't seem to favor one captain or the other.

Skatha could be useful to keep him safe by bailing him out after he goes in for an attack.

Alternatively, in between him, Theron and Egret, the chances of nabbing a takeout before the first turn is over seem really high.

He actually makes Theron's ranged damage relevant, and can make good use of Blessing of the Sun Father and a full stack of Influence.

God I'm falling in love with the Hunters again!!!

I rather would have a Tooled Up, as this AOE has some ways to counter and still you give the activation advantage with it.

It will be different in Falconers for sure. 

Situationally very good. As the Hunters are usually.

Yeah this guy looks fun, but really tricky to use. Obviously anything with 10 boxes is liable to die to stiff breeze and we'll have to be smart about finding the right moment to activate him, but the Harrier AOE plus some Jaecar-like goal runs mean this guy is going to be a flexible combination of playmaking and support.

I think he pretty much knocks Egret out of my 10, which is sad because there's definitely some synergy between the two of them.

I love him. Keeping him alive is simply not going to happen, so getting the most work out of him while he's on the pitch is pretty important.

I mean he has a great KICK, is super fast, has low 2 DMG, has ranged Tooled Up (on multiple models!) and causes Bleed. He's bonkers good. You take him every time as far as I can see - he's a better striker than half our guild. I think he and Jaecar are going to rip the town up and combing with Minx2 = special sauce. My only issue is who am I dropping now?!? The 6 pressure is immense.

Some random thoughts coming to my mind:

About Harrier

• Hunters have been claiming a Tooled Up system for them for a long time, and Harrier gives that. They have Chaska's Boom Boxes, Jaecar's visits, Seenah's hugs, Theron's INF-burst melee attack activations, and a long et cetera.
  • I would have preferred Tooled Up over Harrier for Hunters. Hunters need more reliable forms to make good damage and Harrier doesn't give that, but of course Harrier has a good utility. With this format, Harrier compels Hunters to bring enemies inside this AOE AND to keep them inside until Hunters' damage dealer has done its job. The problem is these jobs are very "activation-exhausting", and give the enemy player time to react against the situation. We need to inmobilize enemies with Jaecar's G&S or Theron's Pinned inside the AOE, we need to make a marathon of pushes with Chaska, Hearnes or Theron (maybe Chaska would only need one BB to put the enemy inside the AOE), or we need to burn activations to attack some already activated model.
  • Harrier also works as a deterrent element. Scrums (our big nemesis) are going to hate it. Also, Harrier can be thrown over a loose ball (with Jaecar or Seenah close to it, INF-loaded) to intimidate strikers.

About Cricual Artery

• I don't know if Crucial Artery is good news. Hunters don't need more condition bloating, because of the condition dilemma (the more conditions a model has, the more motivation the enemy will have to remove them). In exchange, Maatagi is a good last activation model.
  • Let's look at this scenario. Mataagi loaded with 4 INF and activated the last. Assuming he is within 6" of an non-set up enemy model, then Hot Shot triggering Harrier and 1 MP for 1 INF, jog towards the enemy and then 3 Attacks triggering 2nd column momentous 2 DMG result and Bleed. That's a reliable 12 DMG output, and a very likely situation. And this damage can be greatly increased if the enemy is setup (after a oHearne activation, for example).

About Mataagi

• Mataagi is a good battery model. With 1 INF, he can Jog 6" and attack an enemy to get 1 MP and, either to throw Harrier or to put 5 potential DMG over an enemy.
  • Mataagi gives us a new tool to recover balls. T on 3rd column is hard to get, but with a little setup (snared, mostly) it becomes reachable.
  • Excluding Snow's Feral Instincs and some Skatha buffs, Mataagi can take profit of all the Hunter buffs. BoTGF Harrier, attacking a KD, snared, Singled Out enemy or advancing with MOV-boosting options, Mataagi will thank a lot.
  • At the moment, I still prefer the old Minx over Mataagi as a setup piece. The crazy things you can do with a loaded Minx are just amazing.

Just a thought, he gives us another tool to deal with Unpredictable Movement. I think Ulfr might not actually need to be in the 10 now...

His playbook is sorta meh for tackling, but he doesn't rely on the top of it for damage and he can benefit from all of the Hunter's buffs without any of them being necessary. The more you stack the more he gains and with Harrier wraps are going to hit like a truck even on Tough Hide models.

Unpredictable models rarely have the HP to withstand melee, and a nearly guaranteed 4 DMG (1 on 1 + Bleed)

Can’t wait to charge a snared, harried model with Fahad and do 7+ damage with << for 0 influence and no opportunity for a counterattack.

Add Singled Out to the mix. Look, my mascot just did 11 damage on the charge. 

That’s not even all that much setup as Hunters goes.

The bear hugs will be even more friendlier! 

I already get most of my points from Seenah. This will just make it that much better. 

20 dmg Chaska activations? yes please! Though, that's a hard dream to live. 

More conditions too! I love it. 

Mataagi is just amazing T.T

So excited, totally ramps up the fun of Theron just sniping players, probably makes me want to try using Egret again and well, Seenah, Jaecar, vMinx, Murder cat funny fun fun times. Sorry lost my self in the awesomness that is Mataagi now.

Love this guy, completely re-invigorated the hunter game. The other falconer is going to have to be insane if he wants to top this guy.

Skatha team biased hot takes:

Hot shot = the thing. Ability to retrieve the ball at range without getting counted or unpredictabled is absolutely HUGE. Difficulty is hitting col 3 with 5 tac on most models that hold the ball. Snared target and anatomical from snow prob need to be set up first, but this is still a major step.

This guy has serious football game. 6/9 move with 8" kick is a good base goal threat. skatha speed boosts takes this to legitimate striker threat. Most importantly hot shot again. With dodge on 1 mataagi can escape 2" melees that attempt to tie him down by staying out o 1". 

I would seriously consider kicking with this guy into certain teams as the ability to retrieve the ball and shoot is absolutely there (annoyingly better with theron for blessing mom generation). He will die instantly (unless you zarola him back), but no quicker (less quickly?) Than ulfr. I'm told the early skatha goal is all important, so it's worth it.

Egret loves this guy, not sure I agree she is the drop. Flurry in harrier aoe people! Add in a snipe from mataagi and that's 5 dmg followed by 5 condition damage if they don't clear bleed and poison. This could affect multiple models if you hit a scrum and mataagi has enough inf. Diminishing returns of Condition stacking acknowledged.

Chaska can make bird boy 5/1 or do a 5 dmg boombox. Potentially tricky to keep targets in aoe for multiple. Don't think you often bring both though sadly.

Mataagi is a Legitimate last light target for vhearne, or equivalent for vminx.

Mataagi helps out damage for all the obvious suspects. But i think we look at skatha with 6 inf a little differently. vhearne with vminxs support also reaches surprising levels of dmg with harrier. Not something to build a game round in either case, but some surprise sources of damage. Even Ulfr gets a damage bump which doesn't conflict with lone failure. However, he benefits least of everyone on the team (again) as if he is not 100% on goals he is 200% a liability.

We can now field an essentially 5 models with def5 team: skatha, fahad, zarola, mataagi, vminx, X. Doesn't seem awful.

Mataagi is the last final ultimate nail in the coffin for ulfr, better in almost every meaningful way at the same job, with truckloads to offer beyond. 

While WTG is useful against goalies, I just don’t see Ulfr making the cut anymore. He is just awful at what he does with the added TAC penalty (and it is a penalty not a buff) trait. If he doesn’t get fixed in S4 I am going to be so mad. 

While I think Mataagi favours Theron, his football skills added to Minx2 make Skatha pure football at least more viable. 

13 hours ago, EpicChris said:

While WTG is useful against goalies, I just don’t see Ulfr making the cut anymore

This is an honest question because I am ignorant.

Do people seriously see a goalie dropped and think "what I need here is ulfr"?

It seems to me that hunters early drafts (even skatha) don't commit us to a football game where one might see goalie and think "cripes, I've committed now, better get me some wtg on a chassis easier to kill than many mascots!".

Further, teams with goalies (engineers, alchemists, morticians) tend to out-football our footballiest builds. Which leaves tenderiser butchers, where I can see an argument for ulfr, but he is free points thereafter

Also, again out of genuine curiosity, I see posts that say the equivalent of "ulfr scores in most of my games". I find this is approximately true for me. He gets one goal then dies, then is either out of the game or dies some more.

More importantly, i notice that I could have almost always have scored his goal with literally any other player I had treated in the same way i.e. keep away from everything dangerous until it's time to load up inf grab the ball and shoot that planned goal.

How does this map on to others' experience?

9 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

To be clear - I think Ulfr is shit and was just giving the only time I’d take him. He helps vs UM and Rush Goalie. But otherwise he is a conflicted mess. 

I don't play Hunter's but the guy I regularly play against does. My thoughts would be that Ulfr would be the guy to get the pass when buffs come along with season 4.

16 hours ago, EpicChris said:

To be clear - I think Ulfr is shit and was just giving the only time I’d take him. He helps vs UM and Rush Goalie. But otherwise he is a conflicted mess. 

After charging Ulfr into alloy with the ball having Anatomical and the Vminx marked for death , croud out and a blessing of the sun father.  I manage to to only get 1 net hit not getting the ball then the following 3 attacks did nother but dance around him. I know dice happen but after the charge ullr accomplishes nothing. He is supost to be this lone hunter who does things by himself. But without support he can't ie being to slow or needing some croud outs to get better chances of hitting them results. But he is punished for it due to lone hunter. Blood scent is only good for snap shots really, everything he needs to do needs to be done of the charge. SF said he is playing the way they intented him to be. I think he really needs another look. Just a idea get rid of lone hunter and replace with crazy its fluffy and suits the model 100%.

I don't want this to devolve into an Ulfr thread, as we should discuss the hotness that is Mataagi.

I generally enjoy using Ulfr but his rules do sometimes get in the way of his ability to score. Honestly, if they made his 5th column  3 dmg double dodge momentous, that would open him up a lot. I think just changing that on his card and nothing else would be sufficient to making him more viable when considering roster selection.

SFG posted a battle report last week with Hunters, fielding vMinx & Mataagi, into Farmers .  As it turned out, Hunters were pulled into the scrum and Farmers beat them up pretty good.  Mataagi does not change the way Hunters need to be played.  Hunters can put out some good damage, but they are still a bit squishy.  I still think that they need to work the edges and not try to get pulled into a scrum, especially against 2" melee models.