Rejusu

Model distribution needs to change

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/the-soltheican-order

And this only muddies the waters further. Also:

"The last thing we would want is to allow Union players to purchase the Faithful: New Beginnings box set without first explaining that Veteran Fangtooth & Seasoned Spigot's Union model status is temporary."

They didn't seem to mind people purchasing Seasoned Brisket without first explaining that her Union model status was temporary. Also how are they even going to make this work? With these releases the Church minor guild is going to be spread across two different boxes, one of those boxes containing four models usable in neither the Church nor the Union.

31 minutes ago, Rejusu said:

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/the-soltheican-order

And this only muddies the waters further. Also:

"The last thing we would want is to allow Union players to purchase the Faithful: New Beginnings box set without first explaining that Veteran Fangtooth & Seasoned Spigot's Union model status is temporary."

They didn't seem to mind people purchasing Seasoned Brisket without first explaining that her Union model status was temporary. Also how are they even going to make this work? With these releases the Church minor guild is going to be spread across two different boxes, one of those boxes containing four models usable in neither the Church nor the Union.

This bit of news is liable to get me banned pretty soon. :angry:

Well on the plus side if they start doing resin singles again that solves the problem with the boxes somewhat. On the minus side I already bought Colossus in metal a while ago...

48 minutes ago, Rejusu said:

Well on the plus side if they start doing resin singles again that solves the problem with the boxes somewhat. On the minus side I already bought Colossus in metal a while ago...

Don't get your hopes up yet, fella. It might be boxes of 5 from random guilds, including one mascot and two squaddies that are changing guilds for season 4. But you're just going to have to put up with it if you want resin.

Lets give them a chance to show what they’ve got planned before we worry too much :)

(or I’ll take your other Rataclysm template away @Selfy :P)

11 minutes ago, Mako said:

Lets give them a chance to show what they’ve got planned before we worry too much :)

(or I’ll take your other Rataclysm template away @Selfy :P)

Sorry mum.

19 hours ago, Rejusu said:

They didn't seem to mind people purchasing Seasoned Brisket without first explaining that her Union model status was temporary. 

The mini has been available for pretty much a year, it'll be 18 months by the time the s4 changes come into affect and she becomes "The Order" team captain..

I understand people feel like they are being "ripped off" or have been miss-sold certain products especially in relation to the Union players in major guilds, the UiC Exiles and New Beginnings boxed sets and with all the changes to the game with the inclusion of minor guilds but I honestly don't see the issue.

Guild Ball is a luxury product, you are not "forced" to buy anything they release and in the grand scheme of things they are reasonably priced compared to competitors products.

That being said, I do feel they should offer single minis directly from their web store and hate all the concessions begin made regarding accessibility of both regular and LE minis to favour "LGS", it should not be Steamforges responsibility to make sure game stores can remain profitable.

Hopefully these resin recasts will fix some of the drama, although I'm not expecting them to be a "cheap" substitute..

WTF!?

I want sBrisket to reamin Union!

I've spent time and effort as well as monies to buy, assemble and paint her following period of learning to use her!
And now what!?
You're invalidating my purchase while at the same time trying to make me buy dudes for guilds I am not interested in!
Tell you what: You may end up making a lot of people upset, but its your choice if you want to loose customers ;)

35 minutes ago, Larhendiel said:

WTF!?

I want sBrisket to reamin Union!

I've spent time and effort as well as monies to buy, assemble and paint her following period of learning to use her!
And now what!?
You're invalidating my purchase while at the same time trying to make me buy dudes for guilds I am not interested in!
Tell you what: You may end up making a lot of people upset, but its your choice if you want to loose customers ;)

Luxury product dude! ;)

The Blacksmiths Guild has announced a deal in conjunction with the Farmers Guild:

Buy ONE pitchfork (new or used) get a SECOND and THIRD half price!

The Lamplighters Guild would like to remind all customers that they should use torches responsibly during street protests and should under no circumstances attempt to "improve" them with any substance provided by the Alchemists Guild.

I agree with most of what has been said. I have 1 team: masons. Buying the box and selling all the models I don't need is not an option for me. Same with buying the one model I want (vet honour just for the sculpt). No one was selling that one, probably cause farmers is pretty popular in my area. Same with masons so I expect the same result for the new release.

Worse,  I'm still looking to buy a Lucky model, but can't find it anywhere. (well I guess there is one on ebay at 30 euros including shipping, but as it's from the US that also means 20 euro import taxes).

I ordered the rookie from the web shop, but that will be my last purchase. I'll start buying more when their releases make sense.

There is a company that once started to practice at first invalidating single units, then whole faction to discontinue entire range
They see no more monies from me.
Follow their footstep SFG and there will be no more monies from me too
BTW i dunno where to post it but the kickstarter manager doesn't submit my questionaire when I choose none of the additional purchases, but at the moment you won't see any additional purchases from me until your politics regarding already released models will once again respect purchasers

So put yourself in SFG shoes either:

1) They put out lots of single blisters to stores - they don't like the amount of space it eats up

OR

2) You sell singles online - stores don't like it because it cuts into their profit margin

OR

3) Everything goes to box sets which stores can easily stock and sell.

Which of these cuts into their profit margin less...you not wanting to buy a box or a store not buying a box? At the end of the day SFG are a business and they want to make money. If you buy a box and have some models for guilds you don't own it may tempt you to spend more money with them later to acquire that guild.

I'm not saying there is some sort of conspiracy here they are a business they have overheads to pay out.

TLDR; The company likes to make money and keep FLGS happy.

My own personal opinion is I will keep any additional models because they look pretty or I can use them in RPGs or I can donate them to newbies to draw them in or to events to increase their prize pool.

Heavens, what a wonky argument. 

You can "keep FLGS happy" as much as you like, it won't matter in the least when they're not ordering boxes or blisters because the customers are so pissed off with the availability they're not buying them. 

You're right that companies like money, which is why if a change sees a net drop in income you'll pretty rapidly see a change in policy. Like producing single models in resin, for instance. 

My point was at the moment SFG seem to be trying to please everyone and you know what it isn't working. They seem to be flip flopping around which makes me MORE concerned that they let themselves be bullied. Now we have a weird situation where they don't do single blisters but they kind of do in resin.

All this time and effort they had to put in appeasing people that could have gone into designing new product.

If they appease shops but upset customers, customers base may dwindle, so shops will loose merchandise, therefore shops will no longer feel it will make 'em monies to try to sell stuff and may just dump it anyway.

At the same time if customers will want to buy and shops want to do business by earning on trade, shops will suck it and carry on product or face loosing a piece of cake.

I agree you can't please everyone.  Recent decisions and multi boxes have made me think long and hard about continuing purchases.  

My local stores have all been burned carrying both singles and boxes.  With such a capped range unless getting new teams or the occasional new release purchases are limited and it sits on the shelf longer than most other products.  They are all special order only. 

On 28/04/2018 at 11:19 AM, Redmaw said:

The mini has been available for pretty much a year, it'll be 18 months by the time the s4 changes come into affect and she becomes "The Order" team captain..

Guild Ball is a luxury product, you are not "forced" to buy anything they release and in the grand scheme of things they are reasonably priced compared to competitors products.

Just because she's been available for that long doesn't mean that's when people purchased her. And it still doesn't change the fact that people aren't going to be happy to find they can no longer play with her without making additional purchases (and currently one of those additional purchases required includes rebuying her!). You seem to be forgetting that miniatures are an investment in time, not just in money. I have precious little time to paint so I wouldn't be pleased to find out I'd used that time on something temporary.

Also sorry but this second paragraph is nonsense. You are forced to buy miniatures you don't want if (if being the keyword here) you want to buy the models you do want. You aren't forced to buy the models you want however, that part is voluntary. The issue is people want to buy the models for the guilds they do play but don't want to be stuck paying for models for guilds they don't play. Saying it's a luxury product is no excuse for poor selling practices.

Also the pricing on Guild Ball isn't that amazing if we're being honest here. It's a low buy in to a playable standard but frankly you don't get a lot for your money. If you want to compare it to big war games like 40k or Sigmar then yeah you pay a lot more to get into those games. But it's a false comparison. If you put Guild Ball against Games Workshops smaller scale games then it comes up short. A warband for Warhammer Underworlds is £17.95 RRP (and can be bought for as low as £13.50) and contains between 3-7 miniatures and a deck of cards. A Blood bowl team is £20 RRP (can be found for £17) and has 12 miniatures. The cheapest you can buy a new team box for Guild Ball is £35 RRP (£31.50 online) which has six miniatures, eight if you count the goal post and terrain piece, tokens and cards. But for most guilds it's £50 RRP (£45) for 6 miniatures and 6 cards. Six!

And future plastic releases aren't much cheaper if the pricing on the minor guilds is anything to go by. And while I like the Blacksmiths I got during the sale I'm not going to pretend they have the same crisp detail as the Warhammer Underworlds miniatures I've been painting lately.

It's not the worst offender on the market but it's hardly the best. £50 is a lot of money to be spending on 6 small miniatures you can use, it's an absurd amount to spend on 1-2 you can use and 4-5 you can't.

15 hours ago, Scapegoat_Stephen said:

So put yourself in SFG shoes either:

1) They put out lots of single blisters to stores - they don't like the amount of space it eats up

OR

2) You sell singles online - stores don't like it because it cuts into their profit margin

OR

3) Everything goes to box sets which stores can easily stock and sell.

Which of these cuts into their profit margin less...you not wanting to buy a box or a store not buying a box? At the end of the day SFG are a business and they want to make money. If you buy a box and have some models for guilds you don't own it may tempt you to spend more money with them later to acquire that guild.

I'm not saying there is some sort of conspiracy here they are a business they have overheads to pay out.

TLDR; The company likes to make money and keep FLGS happy.

I disagree that this keeps FLGS happy, I've noted here that messing around with the distribution is why my local store have stopped stocking it and judging by other responses in this thread they're not the only ones. Also a store can't easily sell a box that requires a customer own half the factions in the game to get the full value of it. Hard to convince someone who's just picked up a £50 box of Engineers to pick up another £50 box that contains precisely one model they can play in their new team.

Also as has already been noted stores don't seem to have a problem stocking a mix of blisters and boxes for every other miniatures game on the market.

3 hours ago, Rejusu said:

1) It still doesn't change the fact that people aren't going to be happy to find they can no longer play with her without making additional purchases 

2) You are an investment in time, not just in money. I have precious little time to paint so I wouldn't be pleased to find out I'd used that time on something temporary.

3) The issue is people want to buy the models for the guilds they do play but don't want to be stuck paying for models for guilds they don't play. Saying it's a luxury product is no excuse for poor selling practices.

4) A warband for Warhammer Underworlds is £17.95 RRP (and can be bought for as low as £13.50) and contains between 3-7 miniatures and a deck of cards. A Blood bowl team is £20 RRP (can be found for £17) and has 12 miniatures. 

5) While I like the Blacksmiths I got during the sale I'm not going to pretend they have the same crisp detail as the Warhammer Underworlds miniatures I've been painting lately.

*cropped original post for easy response

1) & 2) People are always unhappy about every decision.. This is basically the same argument as with older Union players being removed from active duty in other Major Guilds.. First of all, unless you put them in the bin or melt them down, there is nothing to say you can't use any of these miniatures in games.. The only change is to which line ups can be fielded for competitive play and that's something that regularly changes with new releases and game erratas..

3) Most TCG / LCG games require players to spend a minimum of £200 every three months or so at a random chance of getting cards they need for the current meta, or on individual unpackaged singles at a much higher price.. Games like Xwing and Shadespire require you to purchase miniatures you do not need just to get one or two cards out of the box.. While it's not ideal the same can be said for almost any "competetive" game and at the end do the day, all purchases are optional...

4) As mentioned above, Shadespire requires you to purchase practically every release to get all the cards required for "competitive" play.. At the time of writing that's approximately £140 and counting (and a lot of miniatures and cards you don't need).. BloodBowl requires you to purchase at least two boxes to make a viable tournament roster and then it's just 4x the same static pose, that's £40 base before you start to add in Star Players, and again a lot of excess miniatures you don't "need".. As an additional comment I will add that Necromunda is exceptional quality in terms or both value and what you get in a box, however each gang still "requires" a minimum buy in of two boxes to make all of the "official" loadouts and additional books and cards with every gang launch... 

5) You aren't going to get any argument from me regarding the lower quality "board game" PVC compared to GW production plastics.. But that is a topic which has been flogged to death on multiple other topics..