Banjulhu

Veteran Sakana

Too bad his name is Sakana but I'm super hyped! In two months, we'll be getting three new models and a whole new team to play (in theory). Though I guess this means I might have spent too much money on pitchforks and torches. Ah well, hindsight and all that :D

15 minutes ago, Penguin Warrior said:

Too bad his name is Sakana but I'm super hyped!

It very much depends on what he does. I'm expecting him to be more striking orientated, but would love to be proved wrong about that.

50 minutes ago, ningu said:

It very much depends on what he does. I'm expecting him to be more striking orientated, but would love to be proved wrong about that.

One day Angel will become relevant again, but it is not this day.

I do like the fact that the only outward change to him becoming a veteran is that he is now wearing a bandanna and his spear has a flag on

2 hours ago, Nykolae said:

Sorry @Banjulhu, kinda ninja'd ye there. :ph34r: I'll remove mine, as these are both still new.

EDIT: Can't really find where to remove threads... :blink:

No worries, it was me time wasting trying to get a hi-res photo into the post.

I think you need to summon a mod to do some forumaturgy to remove threads.

Sakana gradually turns into Angel: bandanna - check, trident - check (and the pose is overall less show-off); I bet the seasoned version will be wearing fishnet tights and cuddling otters. :lol: 

54 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

I do like the fact that the only outward change to him becoming a veteran is that he is now wearing a bandanna and his spear has a flag on

To be fair, we've not see the model or fluff. Quite a few of the Veteran models haven't changed that much.

2 hours ago, ningu said:

Absolutely. I just would have been even more excited if it was vAngel or vKraken, considering that those are more rarely used. Still very much excited :)

When you say striking, do you brawling? I would guess the flag means that he'll be more of a support piece that plays a kind of leadership role by handing out buffs that amplify our ability to fight (also hoping this is wrong if that's what you meant). I don't think it's likely that he's just going to be another striker since he would likely just be redundant then. Maybe along the same lines as vSiren but buff-focused and with reach

6 minutes ago, Penguin Warrior said:

When you say striking, do you brawling?

No, by striking, I mean playing ball (as a striker). The Fish guild is more oriented towards playing ball, so we are unlikely to get a straight up fighter. As oSakana is mostly a striker, but with a armour debuff, I'd expect something along the same vein - similar to the difference to oBrisket and vBrisket. Whilst he won't get any momentous damage, he could very well get some scrum debuffs to aide Corsair.

39 minutes ago, ningu said:

No, by striking, I mean playing ball (as a striker). The Fish guild is more oriented towards playing ball, so we are unlikely to get a straight up fighter. As oSakana is mostly a striker, but with a armour debuff, I'd expect something along the same vein - similar to the difference to oBrisket and vBrisket. Whilst he won't get any momentous damage, he could very well get some scrum debuffs to aide Corsair.

I definitely agree that he'll still play the ball to a degree, I just don't think that he'll be as focused on it as he is now. Almost every model in the guild plays around the ball to a certain degree, so I'll be shocked if that doesn't extend to him.

But I think he'll shift some of his focus over to some combination of support abilities or brawling so that he has a different identity. Won't be surprised to see his Kick change to either 3/6 or 4/6 and have him lose Cover of Darkness while picking up more pushes and picking up something like Confidence or an aura buff so that the two models have different identities. Or maybe something that allows friendly models to dodge for free when they receive a pass from him. So he becomes less of a playmaker himself in exchange for improving the players around him.

13 hours ago, ningu said:

Scored a hat trick with Sakana in my last game out with Fish.  Not sure how he could get better at scoring, or how much my opponents might hate me more if he does... :)

Well, I love oSakana a lot and hope they don't screw up his flavor too much.  I'd have loved for them to have tweaked Angel before messing with a player everyone who plays a scoring team already takes. 

I'm happy that sakana is getting a vet version. As long as he's different and also a solid piece, It will force coaches to make a choice and I think that's an important part of the veteran system. I'm actually worried about the new one being underwhelming and getting stuck in a siren or spigot scenario where one of the versions is nearly useless. Opportunity cost matters and the vet system let's SFG have player that sit above the curve, but that are limited at least slightly in which other models they can play with. 

I hope the fact that the fluff has shark and Sakana basically pit fighting each other at practice and the crossed bones on the box art that he is very piratey and more dmg focused. Just what a Corsair team that's about to lose gutter would want...

As far as Angel goes I would much rather see a reworked version than a veteran one from a playability standpoint. (I get that some people want her for fluff reasons). But if they made an awesome vetAngel that wouldn't solve the problem of the current one being very underplayed. I do not envy masons, if this chisel is good you might as well just mothball the first one.  

The blog post today about the solthecian order also made it sound like reworks were coming for existing models. So I think it's safe to assume that no one will be receiving any buffs or fixes before then. 

Between the faithful box, navigators, and season 4 incoming, we might have a very different environment come winter. I'm excited to see where everything goes. 

*queue fish civil war*

My hope and dream is he provides a little bit of extra melee support for Corsair. Seeing as to how we are losing our Union access sooner than later, and Navigators will likely be a speed/positional based scoring team, I hope he tilts a little more towards the Damage side of his character.

That said, I was really thinking about Sakana as a Veteran the other day and damn... that is going to have to be a hell of a card to see play over the original Sakana. I think I often take his flexibility and massive striking potential for granted. Tac 5 anatomical momentous dodge on 1 with crazy speed / goal threat / inf efficiency. Free counter attack. So many great things about Sakana 1.

At the moment I'm struggling to think what vSakana could have that would make him compete for a spot.

This feels like it will go only go one of two ways either one Sakana is superior and the latter is just ignored or they are equally strong and they make it even more unlikely that Jac, Angel, Kraken and vSiren ever get a place on a roster again.

24 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

This feels like it will go only go one of two ways either one Sakana is superior and the latter is just ignored or they are equally strong and they make it even more unlikely that Jac, Angel, Kraken and vSiren ever get a place on a roster again.

I dunno if it needs to be quite that intense of an effect.

Sakana is actually a model who should be fairly easy to design a veteran around given his flexibility. You just pull him a little harder in one axis or another. It's not hard to imagine two great Sakana models, one being more flexible and one being more dedicated to a certain role. I think SF's vet design has been fairly on point lately. It's likely both models are viable.

For your second point - Tons of people use Jac and Kraken now. Frank, who is the top Fish player in the Americas, Ran Vet Siren several times this weekend at Spring Fling. Yeah another model will always further endanger less played models, but remember season 4 balance pass is coming. #MAGA - Make Angel Great Again.

Remembers when stories of the Angel turret and single turn Angel hat tricks were not uncommon on these forums (or rather the old forums)...

47 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

Remembers when stories of the Angel turret and single turn Angel hat tricks were not uncommon on these forums (or rather the old forums)...

That was season 1 when the scope of the game was much smaller and easy counters less available.