Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

Bases

How have you all taken them off their bases, I'm mid way painted, and have a set of sewer bases I plan to put them on, just wondering if it's just a matter of snipping them off? Thanks!

It’s in my expert procrastination thread in the display cabinet... can’t go fishing for the link at the moment, but it’s in there somewhere (just before Sledge got painted). It’s a pretty easy thing to do :)

@Mako I think this was it...

Oh, and because I forgot - I've started working on Sledge (not much, because I have a busy week apparently :) ). First impressions under the file and knife are good, the casts are about as easy to clean as metals, though any big mould lines come off smoother on the plastics and filing doesn't leave toothmarks on the surface. Also, no cooling related pitting/roughness in the flat surfaces that needs filing and putty coating, and no excess glue blobs from assembly.

Also, because I want fancy bases, I needed to cut him loose - that was really simple with how they've been designed and glued (as opposed to SDE, where I snapped a cutlery knife in two trying to prize something off its base). Clippers to cut off the recesses under the bases, a quick poke round the exposed foot pin with a knife to weaken any glue down the sides of it, then a bit of careful prying loose and he popped right off with both foot pegs still intact and no bending, gouging or even base damage.

Z3PpwRD.jpg

In my experience, that only happens if you are lucky (for me, most of the first Farmers box). The majority end up needing to have their bases destroyed with clippers, piece by piece.

It was very easy....I just used cutters to cut into the base near the model a few places.  That usually release the model from the base.  Then used an hobby knife to remove the little nub.  Then pin the sewer base.

I've seen it claimed on other message boards that putting models in the freezer overnight causes the water molecules in the superglue to expand, making it easy to snap apart the superglued plastic. Has anyone tried this on Guild Ball models? (I'm just finishing my farmers at the moment, but am happy with the bases for them as I only want them standing on earth/soil anyway ... might try it with a future guild).

The freezer trick can work, though I’ve not tried it with these ones. Haven’t had to fully break them up yet :D

And thanks @Malritch!

edit: as an additional, the freezer trick is really designed for metals. Hot water followed by freezer makes the metal contract and expand, which forces the weakened glue to crack ;)

I find using standard side cutters is better than using your sharp cutters for plastic.
The extra shearing force often is enough for the glue to break.