Sign in to follow this  
Shojo

Beat engineers

I almost always play Esters into Engineers.  Whenever possible I try to light them on fire and get some of our faster, harder hitting players to get in their face as quick as I can- Lucky and soon-to-be-released vetCimate are good candidates, especially if Tooled Up.  It doesn't take much to kill the flimsier engineers, and they HATE being on Fire (slows them down and chips damage).  I find it's best to try to eliminate one at a time- hit them with an AoE, have Friday toss Dirty Knives at them (bonus time is helpful in a lot of cases) to lower their Def, try to knock them down if necessary, and delete them.  Mash can also be helpful against them, as they don't have a lot of 2" melee (though this will change a little when Harriet comes out with her sucker punch) to try to get the ball back from him.

They're not an easier matchup for us, I don't feel, but if you can get to them, you can do some damage.  They're also a team I feel you can afford to give up a goal against if it'll expose them to retaliation and get you the ball (so you can hide it from them).

I've had quite the opposite experience against Engineers (and they are probably my most played opponent as Brewers): I always play Tapper into them and it pays off. Once you will engage them (usually that happens on turn 2), reliable KD, Commanding Aura and extra influence will give you a decent advantage. And Brewers are resilient enough to shrug off the damage and survive without risk of early takeouts until you will be able to engage them. 

Harriet will become a real problem though... and 16 HP with 4+/1 means that you probably won't be able to one-round her even with fully loaded Tapper. 

Interesting...Esters has been getting work done for me in this matchup, but I'll have to give Tapper another look.  Everything you're saying about him sounds solid...I do appreciate the extra buffs Esters can kick out in this matchup, though- messing with the Engineers planning and math by increasing your defenses and threat ranges can really gum up their works.

That said, I like playing Tapper better than Esters, so if I can get him to work for me, that'd be great.  I'll give it a go- maybe at the Spring Fling this weekend!

I prefer Tapper into Enginners. Esters gives maybe a more stable game as with a 6+/1 Friday you can deny any goal scoring (at least until Harriet) and you can grind it out, I've had plenty of success with Tapper. More or less what Sid said. My standard 6 into Engineers was Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Friday, Spigot and Pint Pot when receiving and Lucky when kicking (to clear that KD from Dead Bolt when playing against Ballista).

So I gave Tapper a go at the Spring Fling into Engineers and it worked out pretty well.  I kicked; the lineup was Tapper (who took the kick), Quaff, Hooper, oSpigot, Mash, and Lucky.  Opponent was playing Ballista, Mother, Salvo, Ratchet, Hoist, and Locus.

It worked pretty well; I rushed everybody in pretty much as quickly as I could.  We got shot up pretty badly, but got in there.  Gave up two goals to Mother, one as a result of good Engineer planning and one to the result of a very unlucky ball scatter that went a long way and happened to land right next to a spider nest.  After that, though, things turned in my favor pretty quickly; between Tapper, Hooper, and Spigot (applying Quaff's buff to the latter two as needed), we were able to kill Ballista, Hoist, Locus, and Salvo.  Lucky finished off Ratchet, eventually got ahold of the ball from Mash, and used Raise the Stakes to make a 12" goal run and close out the game.

Mash was an all-star in this game; I kept him more than 3" away (ideally about 5") from the rest of the team at all times, so that even if Hoist or somebody else tried to hit one of my players and dodge into him, they wouldn't be able to get in range.  Unpredictable did the rest.  The one time Hoist did manage to get in on him, the robot had already been knocked down once during the turn, and Mash countered with a HOWZAT! (Hoist was ganged up on and Mash was in the CA) to chuck him back into the rest of my team and lay him out for the others to finish off.

One thing I can't emphasize the importance of enough- in many cases, it may be better to beat an Engineers' player down to 1 or 2 health remaining and leave them there to kill at the top of the next turn.  Many of them are quick enough or have good enough ranged character plays that if you take them out at the end of a turn, they're just going to come back on into relevance at the top of next.  More than once I had Hooper trading down for momentous pushes to build up my MP, heal damage from Minefield (which I took a lot of over the course of the game)., and ensure that I got to go first.  Then the first activation of the next turn was to take the player in question out and keep them away for at least a turn.

In the same vein, I don't recommend trying to score goals on the Engineers unless the goal is going to win you the game.  Scoring is just going to give them the ball back, and that's often going to lead to a goal pretty quickly (especially with Mother on the pitch).  Get the ball (give up a goal or two if you have to- try to make it only one, though!), and then march up the field killing their team until you can break out and head for the final goal to close out the win.