supertzar

What to do with Hammer?

I've had a few games with the rats now and I seem to have a problem. How do you control/counter Hammer? He seems to always come from downtown and just delete models at will.

If I go in for the goals I get double counter charges applied to the face. If Itry and hang back it just seems like I am playing just the game Hammer wants where he will get all the buffs he wants and then just casually stroll in, take out a model and probably getting a goal in just for laughs.

I know Scourge is perfectly capable of deleting Hammer but he's usually quite easily dodged with knock back. I don't like sacrificing Piper with haunting melody just to keep Hammer back for one turn, but it seems to me like it's kind of the only option?

This is one of the hardest match ups period for Rat Catchers. The higher end armor stat, against our TAC 5 models, and Mason's are a combo goal/take out team. Think Rats do well into goal scoring teams, and take out only teams, but when they run into the combo of both with high armor, take outs, and goal scoring they are in trouble. Think Blacksmiths/Union will be a hard match up as well. The counter charges are tough to mitigate, we don't have a playbook dodge like where'd they go, or acrobatics to get us into position, Piper can has some tricks, but it is a tough nut to crack. I give Hammer, Pelage as the turn one target against Hammer to limit the momentum intake, and hopefully get some bad things going, if she is counter charged I don't care, they still take bad effects. Then do my best to run down easier models to kill with Scourge and Miasma blast combo. I don't run Bonesaw, two ten health guys are a trap.  I do run Skulk if they drop Flint, Hammer likes the bulk of the influence, and limits spreading the wealth. Hammer is really a 6-7 influence model because he is always stealing 1-2 influence off other models. This means Flint can't always score, especially if they aren't taking into account Horrorific Odor. I've been kicking with Scourge verse Mason's on the flank, then using Piper second to last activation to sprint Scourge, behind their back line support, outside of Hammer's threat. Hammer then comes in and wrecks Pelage, not much momentum for doing it, other then the take out part. Then I unload with Scourge into a back line target. With our +1 to initiative roll, and plus cards, hopefully we are going first and then matching their 2 VPs or getting lucky and getting 3 VPs from Scourge on the top of the next turn. The rest of your team is ball hunting the best they can. Hammer has to choose to back track to help his back line or keep pressing forward into your other models. This is the best I've come up with so far, but like I said it's a tougher match up for Rats.

Haven’t had the chance to play into that lovely double counter charge but the principle is always the same. We can have 4 x 2” reach models in a lineup and if you can engage both brick and marbles with one model, counter charge is off the table. 

You will need to play slower to try and control them. 

And the answer to hammer is scourge.  He comes pretty close to killing him in one round. With a couple of crowd outs and knocking him down, it’s almost a sure thing (6 damage per swing after thought hide, 3 inf)

hammer is a little like shark- he’s gonna get a take out when he comes in and that’s all there’s is to that. Once he’s done that, you get to unload on him. 

Hope that helps a bit

6 minutes ago, LouisvillePitch said:

With our +1 to initiative roll, and plus cards, hopefully we are going first

Minor guilds only get +1 to a kick/receive roll. :)

No, only to the kick/receive roll. This is the relevant part from the OPD:

"D. Roll off to determine the Kicking and Receiving Player. A
Player who is playing a Minor Guild gains +1 to this roll."

I think one of the keys for successful plan into a Hammer team is to pick carefully what model you are going to feed into him.  Send one model to engage them and then work to get goals to keep the point trade in your favor.  I fully agree that if you get a scrum going and then Hammer jumps in, it is going to be bad news.