(1) Plouhgman places a rough groung AoE

(2) Honour uses Crofting Time and places a HM in the AoE, gaining +1 HM

(3) Honour then uses Fields of Wheat to remove one HM and place a new (!) HM in the rough ground.

QUESTION: does step (3) also result in +1 HM due to Fertile Soil, thereby generating 4 HM in total?

You would only gain 3HM in total as ploughman play states when one or more, so similarly when jack straw does crop dusting and places 2 in the AOE only 1 extra HM is generated. So you would get 1 from crofting time 1 from ploughmans arua when crofting time is used and 1 from his aura when fields of wheat is used.

37 minutes ago, Wild Rose said:

You would only gain 3HM in total as ploughman play states when one or more, so similarly when jack straw does crop dusting and places 2 in the AOE only 1 extra HM is generated. So you would get 1 from crofting time 1 from ploughmans arua when crofting time is used and 1 from his aura when fields of wheat is used.

I do not think so. Step (2) and (3) are separate actions, and Honour does not shift HM, but removes and places new ones.

The situation can better be compared to Grange using Planting Season + Legendary in conjunction with Fertile Soil, which to my knowledge results in 5 HM.

9 minutes ago, Commander Vimes said:

The situation can better be compared to Grange using Planting Season + Legendary in conjunction with Fertile Soil, which to my knowledge results in 5 HM.

That's a different situation. Below are the net changes to the Harvest Marker (HM) total

Grange example:

• Planting Season: 1 new HM + 1 (for fertile soil) (Total 2)
  • Legendary: 2 new HM + 1(for fertile soil) ( Total 5)

vHonour:

• Crofting time: 1 new HM + 1(for fertile soil) (Total 2)
  • Fields of Wheat: 0 new HM + 1(for fertile soil) (Total 3)

Fields of wheat doesn't create any new Harvest Markers, it only moves those that are currently on the pitch

19 minutes ago, ningu said:

That's a different situation. Below are the net changes to the Harvest Marker (HM) total

Grange example:

• Planting Season: 1 new HM + 1 (for fertile soil) (Total 2)
  • Legendary: 2 new HM + 1(for fertile soil) ( Total 5)

vHonour:

Fields of wheat doesn't create any new Harvest Markers, it only moves those that are currently on the pitch

I stand corrected. Thinking is quite hard sometimes ;-)

30 minutes ago, ningu said:

No, you remove the marker from the pitch and place a new one - you don't reposition the existing marker.

So Crofting will create 1 harvest marker in the AoE triggering Fertile Soil creating a second.

When Fields of Wheat is used the two markers can be removed and two new markers placed.

If any of those markers goes down in the AoE, Fertile Soil will trigger again, giving you a potential total of three harvest markers on the field

2 hours ago, Sid said:

No, you remove the marker from the pitch and place a new one - you don't reposition the existing marker.

I believe he meant that Fields of Wheat doesn't on it's own create a net increase in the number of harvest markers on the pitch.

38 minutes ago, MechMage said:

I believe he meant that Fields of Wheat doesn't on it's own create a net increase in the number of harvest markers on the pitch.

Yeah, thanks, that's what I meant. Whilst you do remove and place new HMs, the total number doesn't change.

4 hours ago, ningu said:

Below are the net changes to the Harvest Marker (HM) total

vHonour:

If the Harvest Markers are placed in a rough ground AOE positioned by a friendly Ploughman then this is correct.

4 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

So Crofting will create 1 harvest marker in the AoE triggering Fertile Soil creating a second.

When Fields of Wheat is used the two markers can be removed and two new markers placed.

If any of those markers goes down in the AoE, Fertile Soil will trigger again, giving you a potential total of three harvest markers on the field

Correct.