Banjulhu

The Navigator's Guild

They said Angel and Original Siren would be the players crossing from Fish to Navigators, but wouldn't say which 2 Navigators go back the other way.

Won't be Windfinder though, as she's confirmed as the Captain.

I would guess Horizon and Azimuth as the crossover players, given that (admittedly only 2 data points so far) Steamforged's track record is to spoil the crossover players first.

I have also been know to be 100% wrong in the past...

Azimuth seems to have mascot on his shoulders, but I'm not sure witch animal it is. Most likely he also have some kind of connection to mascot and therefor seems unlikely he will be dual-guild. (vGraves is dualguild and have connection to both mascots, but both are rats. One is big and other is swarm but both are still rats.)

1 hour ago, JArrow said:

Azimuth seems to have mascot on his shoulders, but I'm not sure witch animal it is. Most likely he also have some kind of connection to mascot and therefor seems unlikely he will be dual-guild. (vGraves is dualguild and have connection to both mascots, but both are rats. One is big and other is swarm but both are still rats.)

I'm pretty sure that's either a hat or his hair. It's not the mascot. ;)

Listening to the video, the text on Azimuth's slide is actually about the Navigators in general rather than just him.

Depending on the release timings between season 4 and this, Corsair could be in for a rough ride. Corsair plays 2-2 well with Union support and switches it up depending on the opponent's line up and the flow of the game. When Gutter goes it sounds a lot like the Navigator replacements will be all about the football which will probably push Corsair to a 3-0 game plan with the sneaky 2-2 for when playing into squishier teams.

I really hope Corsair does not become another Shark in that his game plan is painfully obvious and the trick to countering is knowing the limits of the team's goal threats.

11 hours ago, ningu said:

I'm pretty sure that's either a hat or his hair. It's not the mascot. ;)

I think it's actually a magical effect.  Like a dark wave of water coming from his hand.  It doesn't seem to actually touch his head and appears to be coming from his upheld hand.  That said I'm nearly blind sooo...

So there are photos of the launch pack doing the rounds.

Windfinder has a Tac of 5 and a 2/8" kick which seems to be there to compensate for the guildwide reroll rule, Tac seems low across the board except on Azimuth.

No low momentous tackles (except Angel) which seems odd for a ball playing team.

From the artwork it looks like only two of the Navigators will have 2" melee.

Horizon has a 4"/6" move and also Unexpected Arrival by the looks of things. I would guess he will be packing shadowlike or similar because he does not looks like a slow model.

Can we guess the names of the remaining players?

On the cards we can see: Angel, Siren, Azimuth, E, Fa, Horizon, W, Windfinder

I reckon the mascot (an albatross apparently, as in the poster) is probably W ... because 5/10 move would fit a bird, and lower TAC than E or Fa.

There's another woman (looks similar costume to Azimuth?) and another man.

I'm going to guess Fathom for Fa ... maybe the woman? And Echo for E ... maybe the man?

So for the bird I'll try Wanderer (wandering albatross), Wake (following in the wake of a ship) or maybe Wisdom. Apparently an albatross named Wisdom is the oldest bird in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albatross

3 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

Tac seems low across the board except on Azimuth.

No low momentous tackles (except Angel) which seems odd for a ball playing team.

Effective TAC is high across the board though - against DEF 4, a TAC 4 Navigator is roughly equivalent to TAC 6 in other guilds (in that you'll get 3 hits on average, but on the other hand you can't wrap a 4 column playbook without a TAC bonus). Also note that rerolls give them effectively a +6 TAC bonus whenever they charge. Those MOM Ts are not looking so difficult now...

Fathom would be my guess for a player whose name starts with FA

For the E, Echo is a good shout.  Another possibility, could be Equator or Explorer.

I like Wake for the Albatross, but Wanderer and Wisdom could be cool too.  Also Wayfarer, maybe?

2 minutes ago, DanB said:

Effective TAC is high across the board though - against DEF 4, a TAC 4 Navigator is roughly equivalent to TAC 6 in other guilds (in that you'll get 3 hits on average, but on the other hand you can't wrap a 4 column playbook without a TAC bonus). Also note that rerolls give them effectively a +6 TAC bonus whenever they charge. Those MOM Ts are not looking so difficult now...

They will have some struggles into high ARM, unless they are able to ignore some of it.  TAC 4 into ARM 2 in cover or crowded out, even with rerolls, can't get to column 2 unless they can ignore one ARM.

Of course most high ARM is low DEF, so Siren can just pop by and say "gimme that ball"

25 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

They will have some struggles into high ARM, unless they are able to ignore some of it.  TAC 4 into ARM 2 in cover or crowded out, even with rerolls, can't get to column 2 unless they can ignore one ARM.

True - you're also very unlikely to get past column 2 with TAC 6 in that situation though.

What about those plays? It looks like windfinder has a 2 cost play that let's an ally charge for free w/+2". And a singled out sort of effect too.  

Horizon looks like he might have unexpected arrival which lines up with comments I've seen about him coming on from strange table edges. 

Azimuth has disarm. Also tac 6 w/ a kd on 2 and those rerolls.  I really hope he's dual guild. 

E maybe has a play that does 2 damage? There's no plus/minus or ". 

Someone has acrobatics, which seems very on theme. Also the captain and the mascot are the only 2 that have momentous options before the 3rd column. 

1 hour ago, Frankanelli said:

And a singled out sort of effect too.  

Honestly my money would be on "Eye Spy."  +2 Tac, 6" range, OPT, SUS and 2/:GB: hits all of those wickets

10 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

Fathom would be my guess for a player whose name starts with FA

I was actually thinking Farseeker.

Interesting side note - Horizon breaks the rule of every player having a damage on 1. Memory sort of already did, but as he did not have his own activation I'm not counting him

Hoping that Horizon will have a way of taking himself out, stealing momentum when taken out, or will only give up 1 VP, because even a 6/0 model with 8 boxes is gonna go down fast, which will be fine with Shark, since then he just becomes another ball threat if the opponent is trying to sit the ball in the corner. Plus, Unexpected Arrival could help set up sideline take outs with Jac for some interesting 2/2 approaches with Fish.

Presumably, the Navigators have some more movement shenanigans and some stuff to make them slippery or slightly resilient to overcome what looks like a major weakness in terms of generating momentum and a lack of Fish-like reach. Not super thrilled with the mechanics revealed so far (hate the guild rule personally) but I'm interested to see what kind of fun jank Steamforged gave these guys.

9 hours ago, Hat Trick said:

Honestly my money would be on "Eye Spy."  +2 Tac, 6" range, OPT, SUS and 2/:GB: hits all of those wickets

That's what I thought at first too considering her mascot seems to be a bird, but eye spy doesn't have "while attacking" in it. So I'm thinking it might be an ally buff instead of an enemy debuff 

56 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

That's what I thought at first too considering her mascot seems to be a bird, but eye spy doesn't have "while attacking" in it. So I'm thinking it might be an ally buff instead of an enemy debuff 

I considered that, but remember, Navigator text is "written in the Season 4 Style" so the phrasing and wording is expected to be different from the current style.  Note for example that the character play has CST/RNG/SUS/OPT but is missing the ZON column found on S3 cards.  Eye Spy's text says "Friendly models gain [+2] TAC against target enemy model", while Windfinder's S4 one might be rephrased to say "Friendly Models gain +2 TAC while attacking target enemy model" or similar.

56 minutes ago, Hat Trick said:

I considered that, but remember, Navigator text is "written in the Season 4 Style" so the phrasing and wording is expected to be different from the current style.  Note for example that the character play has CST/RNG/SUS/OPT but is missing the ZON column found on S3 cards.  Eye Spy's text says "Friendly models gain [+2] TAC against target enemy model", while Windfinder's S4 one might be rephrased to say "Friendly Models gain +2 TAC while attacking target enemy model" or similar.

Haha yeah I did remember that the wording was in the new style. I (maybe wrongly?) assumed falconers wouldnt have any changes to their cards either. 

Either way it seems a bit odd that she has no way to momentously trigger the play, so I was hoping it was even better than eye spy somehow. 

20 hours ago, DanB said:

True - you're also very unlikely to get past column 2 with TAC 6 in that situation though.

TAC 6 against a DEF 2+ ARM 2 model can get to column 4.  It is only a 33.5% chance (per the Odds calculator in GB Manager), but that's not insignificant.  Column 3 actually happens 73.7% of the time.

TAC 4 with rerolls against DEF 2+ ARM 2 has a 0% chance of getting past column 2.

8 hours ago, cabbagecannon said:

Interesting side note - Horizon breaks the rule of every player having a damage on 1. Memory sort of already did, but as he did not have his own activation I'm not counting him

Memory has 1 damage on 1.  The rule Memory breaks is not having a tackle result.

That will be Horizon. I really hope there is more to him.

Assuming that is the text straight from his card there will be something above it given the location of the logo in the back but even still it feels a little underwhelming. 8hp, 1 character play n the form of Unexpected Arrival, only giving up 1vp and the ability to return to the field from the opponent's zone once taken out feels like a waste.

He is basically a just another season 3 style mascot so far.

18 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

That will be Horizon. I really hope there is more to him.

Assuming that is the text straight from his card there will be something above it given the location of the logo in the back but even still it feels a little underwhelming. 8hp, 1 character play n the form of Unexpected Arrival, only giving up 1vp and the ability to return to the field from the opponent's zone once taken out feels like a waste.

He is basically a just another season 3 style mascot so far.

Well he'll have the rerolls on the back as well. Likely someone will have to be dropped for oSiren