Banjulhu

The Navigator's Guild

Who do we think will be the dual-Guild models?

I'm thinking Kraken and veteran Siren. Morticians and Hunters both have a veteran player as crossover option, and another, less-played model (Bonesaw, Egret). Kraken and Siren also have some lore-wise connection between them.

2 hours ago, Nykolae said:

Who do we think will be the dual-Guild models?

I'm thinking Kraken and veteran Siren. Morticians and Hunters both have a veteran player as crossover option, and another, less-played model (Bonesaw, Egret). Kraken and Siren also have some lore-wise connection between them.

Reading the fluff blurb their captain seems to be leaning more shark than Corsair, and SFG seems to be trying to get less used models some love. So I think Angel and vet siren are good choices. 

I'd like to see Kraken get a buff, and they didn't do that with the mort/rat crossovers, so I hope the have better plans for the big man then just trying to give him away like bonesaw. 

Thematically, Sakana and Hag make the most sense to me as dual-faction from the Fish, though I suspect vSiren could get thrown in as well. From the Navigator's, I would guess Horizon for one and potentially vShark

So it'll be xmas this year again after all :)  I really look forward to upcoming spoilers giving my life a silver lining the next few months.

47 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

Yessssss... the sooner Fisherman lose Gutter the better :D

But only if we game someone better! I'm hoping to see a player of a similar speed, who can also put out some momentous damage.

14 minutes ago, ningu said:

But only if we game someone better! I'm hoping to see a player of a similar speed, who can also put out some momentous damage.

Man, if only I could post GIFs on here! 

but no :)

I look forward to the Navigator's Guild - it will be interesting to see what direction (ha!) they take the Fishermen in once Union options are gone. Also the Guild sounds like fun from the background.

Lets face it the Guild since season 3's start has only ever really taken A&G in it's union slot which was then downgraded to Gutter due to the errata mostly because for Corsair to do his baseline thing he needed a reliable momentous two damage.

Given the minors are not mirrors of their major I wonder what playstyle the Navigator's will have. Direct 3-0 by being better raw positional footballers than everyone else is out so maybe they will have the tools to do 2-2 more readily with the fish slots pushing them to a better 3-0 and their slots in the fish opening up the 2-2 game a bit.

That said with names like Windfinder and Horizon I'm getting a very movement-esque feel.

Free move/dodge directly towards a board edge or towards a goal post could be some of their abilities, with those names.

A while back I had theory crafted a Navigator's guild based on some loose astrology/mythology, specifically the Zoryas and Simargl. The idea was the characters would be stronger/weaker based on when or where they begin their activation. We've seen models which explicitly benefit from early/late activations, such as old bonesaw and fallow. We've also seen models which benefit from being near the pitch edge. I think these would be pretty interest concepts, but perhaps too design restrictive.

Based on what we know of Rats/Falcons I firmly believe Navigators will be movement/scoring focused. If I had to wildly speculate on mechanics: Windfinder is more of a support striker who directs her team where they need to be. I'm imagining abilities like Quick Time, Second Wind, and Midnight Offering.

"Follow that Star! - Target other model gains [+4/+4] MOV. The Target Model's controlling player immediately places a destination-marker on the pitch. The target model may only move  directly towards the destination-marker during an Advance" I think this is pretty interesting because it creates counter play for both players. Use it on an enemy to divine their intent and interrupt it, but at a risk. Use it on a friendly to take your goal pressure to the max, but the opponent might have a chance to get in your way. However if paired with an ability like WDTG, it becomes pretty hard to stop.

My one wish list item is for at least one of the cross-over models has some sort of brawling capability. This might fit in with Horizon because he seems like kind of a back-ally smugger type. Why a brawler? Well Fish already have an abundance of strikers, big guys, and control models. If the cross over models exist in the same space they are simply competing for the same role on the roster versus creating a new/interesting decision. I guess I worry about fish becoming too one dimensional with the loss of union.

Shark is one dimensional no matter what. He won't pick a brawler type unless they also have football tech

Corsair is omni-competent, possibly too much so. The loss of union won't remove his ability to do 3-0 or even 2-2, it will just nix his option for a 1-4 entirely and that might not be a bad thing.

The problem is any brawler that is good enough for a Shark team is likely going to be over the top in a Corsair one.

Im thinking out of turn movement might be a thing for navigators. One players could drop tokens and others could have abilities that sends another model directly towards it outside of their turn.

10 hours ago, tehlon said:

A while back I had theory crafted a Navigator's guild based on some loose astrology/mythology, specifically the Zoryas and Simargl. The idea was the characters would be stronger/weaker based on when or where they begin their activation. We've seen models which explicitly benefit from early/late activations, such as old bonesaw and fallow. We've also seen models which benefit from being near the pitch edge. I think these would be pretty interest concepts, but perhaps too design restrictive.

I also thought of something like this. Maybe if they all have low mov (maybe 3"/5") but gain a cumulative +2"/+2" for every friendly model within 4" when they start their activation. The first few to activate will be super fast but the rest would gradually slow down during the turn.

Not sure about the balance but something along these lines could be fun. Even just for one striker it could be interesting to have a variable mov stat. Maybe start with the 3"/5" and gain +1"/+1" after every friendly activation like Fallow. Could be too strong when receiving though.

The idea of a navigators guild is quite intriguing and I can’t wait to see the rules.

I imagine there will be a lot of movement shenanigans, maybe with some potential to move opposing players (lure them into the shallows).  I think they’re primarily be a scoring team (given the lack of fight in the fluff story) and also being aligned with the Fisherman’s guild, where fighting is not a generally a focus.  They’ll need someone who can fight, of course, but I doubt that player or two will rock the fighting world.

I suspect that their movement shenanigans will be restricted to the Navigators and not present on the crossover players, but that one or more of the crossover players might be their beatstick model.  If that beatstick can somehow work with Shark’s Stagger better than it can with Corsair’s knockdown, that might help the comparison between Shark and Corsair.

I’m picturing some sort of “chart” marker, that allows dodges.  Maybe a rule like “once per activation a friendly guild model may make a X” dodge directly towards a friendly chart marker”.  Maybe it’ll also allow movement of enemy models as well “once per turn, during a friendly guild model’s activation, choose an enemy models within X” of a friendly chart marker and push that model Y” directly towards that marker then discard that marker” or maybe “…jog that model directly towards that marker, then discard”

I doubt my speculation is correct though.

3 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

I suspect that their movement shenanigans will be restricted to the Navigators and not present on the crossover players, but that one or more of the crossover players might be their beatstick model.  If that beatstick can somehow work with Shark’s Stagger better than it can with Corsair’s knockdown, that might help the comparison between Shark and Corsair.

KD has the same benefits as Stagger plus some more, nothing combat focused is likely going to benefit off Shark more than it would Corsair. More to the point Shark really does not need a melee beater because one standard non-captain model is unlikely ever do enough to make switching to a 2-2 game a thing for him.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:54 PM, Banjulhu said:

KD has the same benefits as Stagger plus some more, nothing combat focused is likely going to benefit off Shark more than it would Corsair. More to the point Shark really does not need a melee beater because one standard non-captain model is unlikely ever do enough to make switching to a 2-2 game a thing for him.

It's possible to write a rule that would allow Stagger to have an effect that Knockdown doesn't.  Something that gives a benefit when attacking a model without any conditions on it, or a specifically a model that is not knocked down, for instance.

That said, such a rule does seem unlikely, and I suppose you're right that Shark with be a 3-0 regardless of any new players given to him.

As Numasai is mentioned on fluff, I think Sakana is likely one as dual guild. And vSakana even more likely. Problem is, that box picture that shows vSakana only has fish logo on it, but the box will be out most likely before navigators

44 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

That looks a lot like a vAngel.

I'm pretty sure that's just the resin/navigators sculpt of Angel. Zarola and Jaecar re-sculpts are also on that image and they aren't getting veteran versions (yet).