Sign in to follow this  
foolwiththefez

Wild Season 4 Speculation

Let's all waste time trying to guess what rules changes are coming up. vMinx makes me wonder if Furious will get re-written to allow models to charge for 1 less influence rather than for free. 

Simplification. Judging by GodTear looks like they are murdering some darlings. Probably another pass on the weakest models. I hope ball scatter gets simplified - why is it the only measurement to middle not edge! 

Beyond that who knows - Mat Hart was making some VERY worrying suggestions on the recent Strictly The Worst podcast which makes my blood run cold. Hopefully he was just spitballing...

Simplification is usually a good thing. I understand why the ball measures from the center, but I hate that it breaks the rule that way so I'd love that change.  

What suggestions? For those of us who don't listen to simply the worst. 

- That DMG numbers would be number of dice rolled to do DMG (so 3 would be 3d6/3 and that's the wound dmg)

- That Character plays AUTO hit. Spend INF, they hit, Boom.

He was saying about how he would like middle table people to feel like champions because lucky dice spikes. Which is something I think would be utterly terrible. It's the GW approach of 'more random = better' and it's bad. People feel rewarded when they do good, not because small cubes sometimes roll 6s.

3 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

People feel rewarded when they do good, not because small cubes sometimes roll 6s.

As some one that can roll 10 dice and get no more than 2 results over a 3, I too am incredibly worried by this. 

8 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

- That DMG numbers would be number of dice rolled to do DMG (so 3 would be 3d6/3 and that's the wound dmg)

Ouch. Ick. The damage suggestion would not only be swing-y and random but clunky and less elegant than the current solution. Character plays auto hitting would require almost every single character play that target's opponents to be rebalanced. 

23 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Probably another pass on the weakest models.

They've more or less confirmed that they'll use S4 as an opportunity to errata models that are considered weak and don't see any play.

2 hours ago, EpicChris said:

He was saying about how he would like middle table people to feel like champions

That's discrimination! People who can't even make it to middle tables want to feel like a champ too. Let's make it more random, so ability has nothing to do with it!

3 hours ago, EpicChris said:

I hope ball scatter gets simplified - why is it the only measurement to middle not edge! 

1 in = 25.4 mm

If the ball scatters 1 inch but has a 30mm base...

4 hours ago, EpicChris said:

I remember an early game when I thought that was the rule, facing an opponent using Stave ... spent the whole game being knocked down by barrels!

14 hours ago, EpicChris said:

Simplification. Judging by GodTear looks like they are murdering some darlings. Probably another pass on the weakest models. I hope ball scatter gets simplified - why is it the only measurement to middle not edge!

Wouldn't mind seeing them changing the AoE meassuring to either "within" or "fully within". Would make measuring a bit simpler.

12 hours ago, Priesmal said:

1 in = 25.4 mm

If the ball scatters 1 inch but has a 30mm base...

Aye, but if you scatter 1” and you measure edge to edge....the ball is exactly 1” from edge (ie there is a 1” gap between ball and model). Scattering from centres is dumb and inaccurate. 

15 hours ago, Lee said:

As some one that can roll 10 dice and get no more than 2 results over a 3, I too am incredibly worried by this. 

yep, had this happen today just in fact. 13 dice in a row, couldn't manage a single 4+

This is a fairly regular occurrence. lost two blood bowl leagues because I couldn't "Roll anything but a 1" Multiple times in a row. My friend, who also is a notoriously awful dice roller was marveling at how trash my rolls are. 

I would kill to roll AVERAGE. I don't even think about spiking, so I'm a big noperino on the MOAR RANDOM. 

So to get back on topic here, what do we want to see in s04?

* I wouldn't (and this is super wishful thinking) mind seeing all guilds get a mechanic that benefits them. This doesn't have to as extreme as the Harvest marker mechanic for the Farmers, but might even take some inspiration from the GIC cards.

* I would like to see the Harvest marker mechanic changed from it's current form. I still think that saving them for extra Influence is a bit too strong.                         Instead I would like the to be used to pay for character plays and some traits.

* In case of the Farmers, I'd like to see the Infl generation of the models to be more standardized (all reapers generate 1 all planters 2, excluding captains). This to open up the roster/team selections a bit.

* I would like to see all models with a lower max Infl to have Traits/Heroics that compensate for the lowered cap. Lots of models in the game already have this, but others don't.

* I would like to see some changes to the OPD that integrates the Major/minor guild relations. So instead of having a 10 model roster, you're allowed to bring 2 8 model rosters. Each roster contains 1 Captain, 1 Mascot and 6 squaddies (following the normal rules). In case of Blacksmiths, that'd be 3-5 masters and/or 3/5 apprentices.     The rosters may be 1 from the Major guild and 1 from their minor guild. Before each game, when you normally reveal captain/mascot, you instead reveal the 8 model roster you will be using.

* As mentioned above, i woul like to see both placement of the ball via scatter and placement of AoEs to be either within or fully within.

* Rebalancing of models within the guilds, so to make all models viable. This is especially true with original and veteran models, that competes with spots in the team.   If this means that some models need to be brought down a bit, so to be able to make others stronger, it would be worth it.

So what would you like to see :)

I 100% do not want the list chicken nonsense from Warmachine in this game. That is the worst thing they ever did. 

I would like all measuring to be from the edge - AOEs especially as currently there are multiple AOEs that are measured to the edge for no reason (Smoke, Theron etc). Adjust ranges to compensate.

I would like ball killing to be harder (not super hard but not just far back corner) as this is a football game. Maybe move the no momentum line to the deployment line rather than goal line.

I would like Unpredictable Movement to be changed to Def 6 for first attack - it’s too binary powerful for 1” vs 2” right now.

I would like Engineers and Smoke NPE keep away game removed some how. Their optimum strategy is to make it so neither player actually plays Guildball and that’s just dumb.

That’s a start!

7 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I 100% do not want the list chicken nonsense from Warmachine in this game. That is the worst thing they ever did.

Guess that would be the problem with that change.

I would like ball killing to be harder (not super hard but not just far back corner) as this is a football game. Maybe move the no momentum line to the deployment line rather than goal line.

Think they would need to rebalance the Goal vs T.O scoring a bit then, as there would be incredibly difficult against some teams. I do agree that Ball killing needs a change though.

I would like Unpredictable Movement to be changed to Def 6 for first attack - it’s too binary powerful for 1” vs 2” right now.

This one I really like.

On 12/04/2018 at 5:26 PM, EpicChris said:

He was saying about how he would like middle table people to feel like champions because lucky dice spikes. Which is something I think would be utterly terrible. It's the GW approach of 'more random = better' and it's bad. People feel rewarded when they do good, not because small cubes sometimes roll 6s.

Speaking as a resolute mid table player over the last 3 seasons (one 1-3 result, one 4-1, all the rest just either side of 50/50) I can say I have very little interest in the dice assisting me getting wins I don't deserve.

What I would like to see is a reduction in gotchas, possibly even baking things in to the timing of effects so that my poor ageing memory doesn't prevent me from having all the fun an activation deserves. Something like counter charge, UM, Sturdy, etc gives their opponent the chance to back out of the action that might trigger it. Personally I try to remember to warn my opponent of these whenever they are likely to trigger them, but often get caught by them because when I'm enjoying a game my mind isn't focused and it just knocks me out of that enjoyment when I get stung by something like these. I get that currently that's how the rules should work, but I would prefer it if they didn't. I don't like to win because my dice won it for me, but also I don't like to lose because my memory let me down rather than my strategy was bad.

Ben

Agreed Ben. I have won & lost games on ‘gotchas’ like this and I don’t think they are great for a fun game. I don’t know how you resolve it though - extend Counter Charge to if model STarts move within 12” model can make a charge at end of advance?That way players can say ‘you’re in my counter charge range before models move’? UM is just bad - I feel because UM exists SFG have had to put more and more Acrobatic/Whered they go type plays into the game - seems like a dead end design wise. Change it to Traited Decoy - job done. Remove Clone and replace with Decoy. 

I have been thinking about it and I think the change I would like most is: ALL character plays become OPT. This shuts down stupid Grenada spam or AOE spam from Engineers/Alchemists whilst leaving most teams largely unaffected. You could compensate this in some way if necessary but I don’t think it hurts the game that much. No team should be able to spam CPs. 

36 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I agree with you on the ball killing, but I think ball killing is a symptom of how much easier goalscoring got in S3 - back in S2 days people were using the ball a lot more to dodge people into combat and the like, which in turn made things like UM less of a problem. Getting back to the ball being more active in an activation that isn't a goalscoring run would be good to see, but i think you'd need something to make goalscoring harder as a result - maybe increased MP spend the longer the turn goes on, or momentum-based standard counters that people can take to make the goal run harder, such as gain close control for this attack against you or increase the TN for the shot by 1. (May be.. all just spitballing ideas)

I quite enjoy having a UM player to deal with on a team, it makes timing and target selection interesting, and trying to set up traps for UM players can be fun, too. What annoys me is when I forget someone has it and they just dodge away from a fully stacked player before they can even hit them. That said, I'd shed no tears if it went completely (although the Briskets would need some serious upgrading to compensate).

Maybe if you have to place a place-marker down whenever you move a model and you are allowed to cancel the move after advance-based reactions are declared that would prevent the gotcha but still have those abilities have all the clock effect they have currently. Perhaps the place marker I suggest could also be used as an activation marker, so you place one down for each model at the start of a turn so that you know when they have activated or not...?

More spitballing.

Ben

I think you 'fix' the Briskets by just giving them the Decoy trait I mentioned - first attack/CP is Def 6. I think we want to avoid the game getting more fiddly with widgets as that makes it less inviting to newer players. Maybe - Counter Charge has to be ACTIVATED (so a token goes down on the model for all to see) ie. model has to activate and then at the end of activation it puts up Counter Charge. Sure this will mess up Goalies. Hmm.

Regarding scoring I really think that they need to do an ANTI-TAP IN - shots over 6" are at 5+ to go in. Now 8" kicker models CAN score but are less likely (but most have high KICK anyway). The binary, sit at 10" and slot a goal in at 4+ seems daft to me.