Sign in to follow this  
Hunters-15

vHearne vs oHearne with vMinx

Does vMinx make vHearne a more regular contributor in a Hunters starting 6? I’ve been looking at how I want to fit vMinx into the team and I feel like she does. oHearne only bringing 1 Influence is a big part of why I feel that way. 12 influence seems to get spread thin without having 2 Furious models. vMinx also brings Blessing of the Sun Father to the table so you can leave oHearne on the bench and still have two Blessings around. Last Light also gives you the “free” character play as well, although it is a little more expensive. 

I also feel like vHearne’s better ball skills could come into play more now that there is another speedy player with a 3/6 kick in the guild. vHearne is deceptively fast with Theron’s forest, has 2” melee and a momentous tackle on 2 successes. Having two 2” reach models with low tackles who can threaten the ball while also putting out some damage and supporting the rest of the team creates a more balanced team, at least more balanced than I’ve been playing up to this point. 

Singled Out and momentous damage will definitely be something I’ll miss, but with vMinx I’m not sure it outweighs the extra influence and added ball skills that vHearne can bring. Anyone else think this might be the case?

12 minutes ago, MARCVS AVRELLIVS said:

On the other hand, 3 players with Blessing of the Sun Father helps a lot to mitigate the Influence...

That’s true. That definitely helps, but Last Light can also provide a similar effect at typically 1 additional momentum. Is saving 1 momentum and Singled Out worth oHearne over vHearne? Before vMinx I would have answered yes every time. With vMinx now I’m not so sure. 

Must....Resist....Only....Answer....

ARRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Always Hearne1 with Theron and Hearne2 with Skatha! Sure H1 only comes with 1 INF - but who cares - he's flippin' amazing. Fantastic DMG dealer and setup merchant combined with the JANKIEST teleporting bullshit in the game. I love Hearne1 now - wait, sorry, I love Hearne1 now more. Minx2 doesn't have Furious sure, but she gives Furious-Lite to the entire team - if you make 2 charges you just earned that INF back. And you know who likes to Charge? Hearne1, From a Wood, From the Other Side of the Mother Flippin' Board. JANK! 19" Charge range boys...LOLZ (4" teleport, 3" Wood, 2" base, 8" Charge, 2" Melee)!

I mean I'm biased. I HATE that Hearne2 is just kinda meh - Lunar Eclipse is total rubbish, Last Light is a rubbish BotSF (yes yes quad boom box aside), his Playbook is lame for a TAC 5 model and all he really does well is Tackle - and you know who Tackles pretty well? HEARNE1 with Minx2 from out of some place your opponent didn't even see!!

Ahem. Anyway, people should play and take whatever they like. Me, I am Hearne1 for Life man. With Theron only obviously! (But Skatha's Blessing pisses me off so much that I rarely take her).

What? Keep taking what pills? You shut up!

;)

The only right answer is to take Seenah.

vMinx gives her extra range to charge for the ball with her Tackle on 2 with a 2" melee. She can push models off of herself and whenever she makes a shot on goal she gets -1 to her TN Test.

Finally, the bear is good at something!

VHearne is not in my 10 and this puts him even farther away to me.  I've considered him in a Skatha lineup before for the 2" melee and low tackle but VMinx brings both of those.  I like her a little bit with Hearne 1 but to me she makes it easier to leave both of them on the bench. 

V Minx in a 13 inf Skatha lineup (for example: Skatha, Fahad, Zarola, Egret, V Minx, Jaecar) let's you do SOOOOO MUCH!

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I think you are really under rating vHearne. With Theron he is MOV 6/8” whenever you need him to be. With 2” melee that’s another 10” threat model. I’ve found his movement tends to catch people off guard as well becasue they really aren’t expecting it. It might not be as long a threat extension as a teleport, but I’ve found it can be easier to set up and take advantage of as well. 

Last Light is a more expensive Blessing, but it’s still a character play you can use without spending Influence. 

His playbook is definitely not as good as oHearne’s, there’s no arguing that. And his teleport ability is barely ever worth using, so there are definitely weaknesses on his card, but I think there are some surprising strengths that are being pretty regularly overlooked. 

My playstyle relied heavily on giving 0 influence to 2 models (typically Fahad and Minx) and spreading the rest of my 12 influence out across my remaining 4 players. It worked really well. With vMinx likely wanting at least 1 influence, my allocation to the rest of the team is going to need to change, bringing down their effectiveness. 1 less influence on Hearne means instead of Singled Out AND Knocked Down, I only get Singled Out. 1 less influence on Egret is the difference between a Flurry and a Snap Fire. 1 less influence on Theron is the difference between Sun Strike getting me 4 damage and 2 momentum instead of 2 damage and 1 momentum. It adds up over the course of a game. 

At the end of the day I might still feel like oHearne is still way better that vHearne, but right now I think vHearne is worth looking into a little bit more than he was before vMinx was released. 

On 4/6/2018 at 12:14 PM, EpicChris said:

I mean I'm biased. I HATE that Hearne2 is just kinda meh - Lunar Eclipse is total rubbish, Last Light is a rubbish BotSF (yes yes quad boom box aside), his Playbook is lame for a TAC 5 model and all he really does well is Tackle - and you know who Tackles pretty well? HEARNE1 with Minx2 from out of some place your opponent didn't even see!!

I know I am in the minority of players who prefer Vet Hearne over oHearne, but oHearne is a good tackling model? He tackles non-momentously with a 22% chance AFTER singled out (4/1 def model). I highly prefer Vet Hearne's playbook. Momentous KD on two is good, as is the 1" push on one.  While the forest teleport is sexy, a 10" threat is pretty solid should he be able to go through rough ground. I am also a huge Homer for the ol' quad Boom Box.

Back to the topic. While I prefer Vet Hearne, I am more tempted to try out oHearne with Vet Minx, at least under Theron. Between Marked for Death and his Forest teleport, I see a lot of potential jank to open up oHearne's skill set, especially the utilization of Single out on a model Minx tagss.  He can beat up a model or go for an unexpected goal run. Ultimately Minx's Marked for Death dramatically helps either Hearne's 3 inf cap.

I think I'd take oHearne if I'm not running Chaska with the lineup, and vHearne if I am running Chaska with the lineup.

(Having finally gotten off a rather good 4 boom boxes with a shove to trigger two of vMinx's traps to take down Fangtooth was fairly satisfying)

I think my pick of oHerne vs vHerne is not dependent on vMinx.  It will vary more based on my opponent's ball control tech and to what extent I want the ball.  

18 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Sadly vHearne is just bad, so I don’t think he should even be in your 10 in the first place.

I think you are doing a disservice to the model and the complexity of the game by saying it's "just bad", but I would agree that vHearne struggles to make the traveling ten. He competes with Minerva in my mind, and she brings more support options with her 2" mom kd. Sure, she is more fragile and has less damage potential, but the better intrinsic speed also is a plus. 

And you can have a 4 2" player lineup without vHearne. 

Sure, sorry. I'll word it in a different way - with the current way the OPD works and only allowing 10 models in your roster I think vHearne doesn't earn a spot in the 10. I think if you're looking for a 2" model, vMinx & Minerva are both better option who so a similliar role better (A supoort 2" model peice, vMinx is a better striker, Minerva is a better supper piece).

I like the potential for Theron to get 5 momentous character plays in turn one with vHearne if you are receiving. Two successful passes to generate momentum, then Blessing from Minx and last light from vHearne. Use last light to put on Sun Strike, then use BotSF 6 info and his own BotSF to have net 4 mom at end of turn one putting out 10 dmg without anyone having to get close. 

10 minutes ago, Steveedoug said:

then use BotSF 6 info and his own BotSF to have net 4 mom

That's all very well, however, a model can only benefit from BotSF once per turn.

They can benefit from another model giving it to them, spend it, then give it to themself though, meaning they never have it on them twice, or have me and my mates been playing that wrong for the last six months? Probably have been knowing us lol 😂 

8 minutes ago, Steveedoug said:

They can benefit from another model giving it to them, spend it, then give it to themself though, meaning they never have it on them twice, or have me and my mates been playing that wrong for the last six months? Probably have been knowing us lol 😂 

Sounds like you have been playing it wrong. It doesn't matter how many different BotSF's you put on a model,  it still only gets 1 "free CP" a turn.

Blessing of the Sun Father

Target friendly model within [6"] may use a Character Play once during its activation without spending Influence.