Mako

Mason Player Summaries

Hello Masons!

As part of the ongoing Guild intro project it's time for you to get a model summaries thread. I don't have a clue what most of the models do, so I need your input for it - take a look at the other guild threads to get an idea of what we're looking for, but basically it's a short (couple of sentences) summary of the main uses a model has. Think of it a little like a wiki, if you post up thoughts about models you like to use I'll curate them into this top post. And there's always the opportunity to update this, so if you see something is missing on a model that already has an entry post that too! 

(but please remember this is about the uses people have for players - if you don't think a particular model has any uses, just ignore them ;) )

I know you've had some good threads about your lesser-used models lately, so I'm hoping this will build on that kind of effort :)

Honour (C) -

A very versatile captain, can do a lot of work herself or give a key model an extra activation that amplifies threats or gives last activation. Able to score when needed with good dodges, or to take out models (with a little support). She is vulnerable to determined attacks  and character plays though, so shouldn't be left out on her own.

Good into: Alchemists, Tapper Brewers, Grange Farmers, Union// Risky into: ranged CP, 2" melee, high burst damage (Thresher Farmers, Fillet Butchers, Corsair Fish)

Hammer (C) -

A super-solo captain, able to take out many players solo but with Tooled Up or support can take out most things in the game. Can still score and ball retrieve in a pinch though, or support his team. Knockback makes him more mobile and gives him potent control options. 

Good into: low health/soft targets (Morticians, Butchers, Hunters, Blacksmiths)// Risky into: Fast scoring teams (Fishermen), ranged control (Engineers)

Marbles (M) -

A great control mascot with Goad, Countercharge (when with Brick) and Loved Creature. Can be used to shield key models, or disrupt targeting, or even cripple key players by forcing them to run out of position. Generally a good pick unless Honour/Brick are not in the team.

Good into: Scrums, low DEF teams (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Butchers, Farmers) // Risky into: ??

Wrecker (M) -

Fast enough to accompany (and Follow Up) friendly strikers, helping to block any return goals. Can rearrange the scrum with Rollerball to free up a key model, push an enemy into the scrum, or mess up goal threat distances. Really messes up Furious models.

Good into: Alchemists, Engineers // Risky into: 2" melee heavy teams, easy KD (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Fishermen)

Brick -

Provides excellent area denial/control with Countercharge and survivability. Also works to shield and defend key models, moving the bubble around depending on how the opponent is playing. Slow and vulnerable to character plays, so be aware that your front line may need to slow down. Keep his charge lanes clear for best effect.

Good into: Tapper Brewers, Farmers, Butchers, Blacksmiths // Risky into: ranged CP (Engineers, Morticians, Alchemists)

Chisel -

An excellent ball retriever, fast and able to tackle and dodge away easily. Crazy and Painful Rage increase her odds of getting the results she needs, while Feel My Pain helps discourage/punish counterattacks to reclaim the ball. Not great in the scrum or against fast killers, but ideal to mess with Strikers and goal threats.

Good into: goal focussed teams (Fishermen, Midas Alchemists, Morticians)// Risky into: ranged CP, fast killers (Brewers, Butchers, Farmers, Hunters, Engineers, Scalpel Morticians)

Flint -

An expert striker, able to threaten goals from almost anywhere on the pitch with some of the Mason buffs/plays. Easily capable of tackling and scoring in a single activation. Not the most defensively capable though, and more vulnerable to female attacks than male, so will likely be taken out after scoring. 

Good into: Blacksmiths, Brewers, Ox Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Union // Risky into: Female heavy teams (Fillet Butchers, Pin Vice Engineers), heavy control (Alchemists, Morticians)

Harmony -

A very versatile player, able to do damage, snatch or shoot the ball, or do hit and run disruption. Needs Honour's Family buff to be effective really, but with it can do devastating Linked activations. Best kept defended until needed, but able to effectively extend Honour's activation a full extra stack of Inf.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: ??

veteran Harmony - 

Provides support to the team via several traits and plays, making her great at keeping the rest of the team functional and alive against ranged assaults while the Masons close the gap. Combined with Granite can turn incoming damage into a real risk for the opponent. 

Good into: AoE/condition heavy teams (Alchemists, Hunters, Ratcatchers) // Risky into: burst damage teams (Brewers, Butchers, Farmers, Masons)

Mallet -

A solid support model with the ability to perform as a decent beater too. His mediocre speed is offset by 3" melee in his activation, allowing him to hand out debuffs such as Singled Out and Smashed Shins with ease, even to slippery targets. With that limited setup, he can tackle the ball or further set targets up via :momKD: and :momP: . Kept in the middle of the squad, he provides both buffs and solid setup. 

Good into: elusive teams (Midas Alchemists, Fishermen, Morticians, Union) // Risky into: Condition heavy teams (Smoke Alchemists, Esters Brewers, Engineers, Hunters)

Tower -

The defensive toolbox of the Guild, good in the middle of scrums to make sure the Masons survive long enough to win fights. Strong counterattacks punish 1" melee and threaten 2" melee opponents. Hands out Sturdy and Defensive stance to those around him, and then provides Tooled Up to amplify the Mason's return damage. Can even score with a little luck and positioning.

Good into: Scrum/Charge teams (Brewers, Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Hunters) // Risky into: ??

Granite - 

A tricksy tarpit model. While stat wise she is slow, Between A Rock and Foundation make her deceptively mobile (vHarmony serves well with this via Team Player). Positioned carefully, any attack on the masons will result in Granite moving closer. Funneling opponents to her via pushes, for her to lock down, is key. She also has reasonable kick stats, so use her to move the ball (and the ball to move her).

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Ox Butchers, fast teams (Fishermen)

Lucky - 

Can reliably dish out a lot of momentous damage with minimal setup. Early :momT:, :momKD:and :PD: give him good control options on his playbook, while his kick and potential move distance make him a solid goal threat (but use his dodge carefully as it can also provide your opponent with useful movement). Also mutes the condition game somewhat, for further protection of the Masons.

Good into: Condition teams (Smoke Alchemists, Ratcatchers) // Risky into: ??

Hello All!

These are my own remarks, and don’t general truths J

Honour (C)

She’s a very versatile captain. Can help other model to take another activation (for example the Mallet-missile, or to Flint, oHarmony, perhaps herself). With her monkey-buddy Marbles, she’ll be a very dangerous TO-maker, or alone can make a goal too, but she can die easily if you don’t careful enough (but in her legendary turn, she can choose [+1] ARM).

Good into: line ups, which are want to make a 2-2 win // Risky into: teams, which are want to make 3 goals, or can make 4-6 TO’s.

Hammer (C)

Hammer-time, that’s tell everything J w Tower’s Tooled up, he can take out easily anybody, or can make a goal easily too (but after that, they will die).

Good into: against fragile teams // Risky into: teams which can make goals easily and fast, and can kill your team remotely.

Marbles (M)

Goad, Assist, Loved creature, 4/1, CC w Brick…he is the number one mascot in the Mason Guild.

Good into: w Honour, sometimes w Hammer too // Risky into: against teams those who have enough the 1 VP.

Wrecker (M)

I like the idea of the armadillo, and his rollerball and ramming speed are very good, if you have to go far, or you really want the 2” pushes. Sadly he can push only enemy models, but he is the best choice if you want to free your models, or want to cheat with the distances.

Good into: w Hammer // Risky into: nothing, Marbles just better option, thats all.

Brick

I really like the big guy. CC, tough hide, knockback. The biggest drawback his 2 DEF… :P

Good into: when you really need the zone-control // Risky into: against teams, which can operate CPs from afar, or football teams, which are really need MPs, because he is a very good MP factory.

Chisel

I’ve never tried her out

Flint

Our #1 striker. W Honour, he is very dangerous. Usually I played him w a Honour team.

Good into: if you want to take minimum 2 goals // Risky into: against female teams (for example a Fillet Butcher team…)

oHarmony

Honour’s best friend ( of course, theye are sisters! :D ). W a team, when you bring Brick too, try to keep her near Brick, and w the Linked ability, after Honour did her job, oHarmony finish anything you want to do.

Good into: I only bring her w a Honour team // Risky into: if I don’t play w Honour, I don’t play w oHarmony either.

vetHarmony

I only bring her w a Hammer team, but not always. Her most important abilities the Smelling Salts/Team Player/Breaking Play.

Good into: if you have to play against teams which operate w AOE’s // Risky into: anything else.

Mallet

The good old football player. 3” MZ, his playbook is awesome, just like his CP’s and CT’s. He is a core-member. He is so good w Honour and w Hammer too.

Good into: if you have to make hurt, but you don’t want to suffer counter attacks // Risky into: against fast teams.

Tower

The best supporting team-member. And that’s all. Sometimes you can pust out enemy models from the Pitch (3 hits and knockback…muhaha), but sadly he’s got only 1” MZ.

Good into: w Hammer always, sometimes w Honour, if I really need his HP against teams who can give a lot of KD // Risky into: i don’t know, he is so good.

Granite

I’ve never tried her out

Lucky

I’ve never tried his out

This post will get updated whenever I have time to spare. I'd like to try and be as complete as possible, while still keeping open the possibility to debate, as I in no way consider myself as an absolute pro Mason's player.

Honour (C)

The First Lady of Guild Ball. Versatility is her middle name. Might be one of the easiest captains to switch tactics with.

Superior Strategy can be used in so many ways, that it should be considered as strong as Obulus' Puppet Master. You will always have the last activation. Give Flint a 32" goal threat. Make sure that your beaters can always reach the opponent's backline. Sneakily give oHarmony another activation to get Linked, when your opponent doesn't expect it anymore.

With her Legendary, she suddenly turns into a 4/7 INF captain, as well as suddenly having a 16-18 INF activation possible. Or, make everyone have at least 2-3 ARM. Beater teams will hate you for it!

Set her up with Marbles to easily make take-outs.

Use her 1+:momDD: on column 2 to jump between defensive lines for epic goal runs. This same result, together with Poised, makes her an elusive target to pin down.

At only 3+ DEF, she sadly is very prone to suffering from disruptive Character Plays. While 17 hit points isn't anything to scoff at, she's quite easy to take out when controlled. KD is scary, but she should never be close to anyone with easy KD results anyway.

Teams I'd play Honour over Hammer:

• Alchemists: both of their captains have Unpredictable Movement, which is something Honour can get around. They'll not field anything that is too hard for Honour to take out (except for Compound, but why would you want to take him out anyway?). Superior Strategy vHarmony is a tactic to get around Smoke's condition game, albeit very INF expensive. (2-2)
  • Brewers: while you don't want to get caught out by any of their captains, Honour is elusive and fast enough to stay out of their beaters range. You don't need Hammer's massive damage to take out Spigot or Friday. Together with Flint and oHarmony, 2-3 goals is readily doable. (3-0, 2-2)
  • Engineers: this actually is a tough one. Engineers are tanky enough to weather most of what Honour can bring to the table, but Hammer (imho) is too easily controlled. Ratchet and Velocity are still valid targets, and getting 2 goals is easily doable with an Honour team. (3-0, 2-2)
  • Farmers: after the recent nerf, the Farmer's murder ball has gotten somewhat tighter. This gives more options to play around their death scrum. Thresher is still very scary, but the rest is quite doable. I'm actually more scared for a Grange cage, where Peck just kills the ball in between Grange, Millstone, Fallow, Harrow and counter-charge Tater. The key is speed, and 3 goals. (3-0, 2-2)
  • Union: Veteran Rage is one scary person, and his team will always out-scrum yours, even when fielding Hammer. I'd go for versatility and more scoring potential. Rage's 1" melee zone might just be your salvation. You can still quite easily deal with the goal scoring line-ups of either Blackheart or sBrisket, as Honour's take-out potential is still there. (3-0, 2-2)

N.B.: These are according to my playstyle. Be sure to find what you like before mindlessly following statements in these threads! ;)

Good into: slower teams without a designated burst beater or disruptive ranged plays (Tapper Brewers, Grange Farmers) // Risky into: 2" melee beaters, burst damage and ranged plays (Thresh Farmers, Fillet Butchers, Corsair Fishermen)

Hammer (C) 

One of the quintessential super solo captains of the game. But while he can easily put out at much damage as any other beater captain, he's still versatile enough to also play a scoring game or support his team.

When bringing Tower, Hammer might be the easiest model to give +2 DMG on Playbook damage results. Be sure to always have some spare INF lying around on other models to fuel the big man's range and damage output.

While he usually wants to go last to (almost) delete an opponent's model and make sure you go first on the next turn, he also has a very strong first activation when utilizing his Legendary. If you're able to go first, and Hammer is totally out of position, just sprint him up towards your team and pop the Legendary. +1 DMG, +2"/+2" MOV or +1/+0" KICK on the entirety of your team without any INF or MP cost is incredibly strong. I usually use this when Hammer returns to the fold after being taken out, or when I take someone out on the first activation and bring Hammer back into Brick's defensive bubble. Not many teams would dare jump into the Mason's team with those buffs lying around on every activation.

Whatever you do, NEVER forget about Knockback. This trait, when used correctly, can be so, so strong. You can get into goal range, you can push someone back towards your team, you can push someone off the Pitch, you can dodge into range with another model without triggering their Unpredictable Movement. This trait also makes his counter-attack liquid gold.

He has a gorgeous Playbook for take-outs, but can easily strip the ball away from any model with his momentous KD+T results. The only model that would not lose the ball after his first attack is Corsair, who has both Sturdy and Close Control.

As is normal along most of the Mason squad, he is very vulnerable to disruptive ranged plays. Stoic and Tough Hide, along with 18 HP, makes him a tough target to take out, but it can be done.

Teams I'd play Hammer over Honour:

• Blacksmiths: apprentices are easy VP's for Hammer, even in Sentinel range. Hammer, along with Tower, Brick and Mallet, can easily push the Blacksmith's around, stripping the flimsy apprentices of all of their defensive buffs. Ferrite's Disarm is still a huge pain in the neck, but with some setup Hammer's can still readily delete her from the field. Things get scary when it's not Ferrite, but Burnish as the captain. Hammer's Tough Hide keeps him alive longer. (2-2, 1-4)
  • Butchers: these murderers hate one thing; strong counter-attacks. Hammer has one of the strongest, and he brings another two Knockback models in both Tower and Brick. Your opponent is forced to constantly go for their non-momentous KD results, when you have momentum on the table. (2-2, 1-4)
  • Fishermen: this is mostly due to Hammer being better into Corsair, than Honour into Shark. It's still an uphill battle, and it might even be a good idea to just kill the ball on the likes of Wrecker, who'll just scoot around the field, while you're out murdering the opposition. (1-4)
  • Hunters: you Pin Hammer? Hammer wants to get in your face anyway! The Hunter's models also dislike good counter-attackers, as they have even less KD results than the Butcher's. Just be sure to not keep on chasing after the speedy characters and just go for the easier targets (Theron, Hearne, Chaska, Seenah). (2-2, 1-4)
  • Mason's: full-on skill match-up. The one that plays their counter-charge bubbles best wins. (2-2, 1-4)
  • Morticians: due to their low health pools and less than average defensive stats, Hammer can easily delete their models. Obulus is a tricksy bastard, but just leave him and go for the likes of Graves, Bonesaw, Cosset or Brainpan. Ghast will also readily go down when focus fired. Silence is your worst enemy. Scalpel hates good counter-attacks. Do you see a theme here? (2-2, 1-4)
  • Rat Catchers: I'm not sure yet, as I've not yet played a single game against this team, but my gut tells me that Hammer can readily control Scourge, and that Miasma, Pelage, Skulk and Bonesaw go down quick enough. (1-4)

Good into: teams without many disruptive ranged plays, teams with loads of squishy targets (Butchers, Hunters) // Risky into: fast 2" melee teams, disruptive ranged plays (Alchemists, Shark Fishermen)

Marbles (M) 

This crazed, poo-flinging monkey is best taken when you're thinking of bringing Brick as well, or if you're taking Honour as your captain. This doesn't mean he has no use without these two, but his efficiency will suffer greatly.

Due to Go Ape!, Marbles gains Counter Charge when within 4" of his big bud Brick. Having a decently set up double counter charge bubble can cause your opponent major headaches. Normally, Brick can defend his fellow teammates, but not himself, but now Marbles and Brick can defend each other as well. Make sure to keep charge paths open, so your opponent only has sub-optimal positioning options. This can really set you up in leading the game clock and forcing some clock VP from your opponent.

On the counter charge, his :momP: on the second column of his Playbook is (in my opinion) the most important result, as you can push the opponent's model out of engagement range. If you're lucky, the only option the opponent has left is attacking Marbles, which will grant you Loved Creature's +1 TAC on all of your models.

Loved Creature also makes possible using Marbles as 'bait'. They have to delete him immediately, or suffer Honour's wrath in the following activation. So don't be too afraid with positioning him aggressively. At the very least, they sink lots of INF in taking him out, resulting in only 1 VP, and you receiving a Guild-wide TAC buff for the remainder of the turn.

When playing Honour, your main play for setting up take-outs is making sure Marbles is engaging your target. This instantly gives Honour a TAC of 8, along with +1 DMG on all Playbook results, due to the Assist trait.

Also, never forget Goad! I've ruined several full-stack captain activations by goading him, and then running away away from the scrum/goal! Make sure you always have an MP lying around for that Bonus Time!, as rolling 1 die most of the times is too risky.

When would I bring Marbles over Wrecker:

• Whenever I pick Honour and think it's possible to do some take-outs.
  • Whenever I pick Brick and think I need a second defensive bubble.
  • Whenever my opponent has mostly 3+ DEF models, on which I can throw poo without much risk. 4+ is possible as well, but you better have that Bonus Time!

Good into: scrumming low DEF teams, teams that can't easily handle the double counter charge bubble (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Butchers, Farmers) // Risky into: matches where you won't pick either Honour or Brick

Wrecker (M) 

ROLANDOOOOO!!! Not picking Brick? Not picking Honour? This little ball of armored plating can bring enormous efficiency in controlling scrums or tracking down dodge-less wingers/strikers.

His Rollerball trait gives him a 8"/10" MOV, making sure he'll always be able to keep up with speedy strikers. If those strikers also don't have buyable dodges (Acrobatic, Where'd They Go?!, etc.), Follow Up makes sure he can follow those strikers for another 8". That's Not The Ball afterwards works like Horrific Odour in causing the opponent's model to have to pay another INF to Kick. Pro-Tip: when playing rather aggressively, this trait along with the Offside Trap Gameplan makes the striker having to pay 3 INF just to Kick! :P

Of course, ruining striker's lives isn't his only use. With Ramming Speed, which is free when activating Rollerball, you can totally change the opponent's positioning in scrums. Push their models deeper into your lines, push others out of engagement ranges; you can do quite a bit with 10" of movement! Remember that he also has a :momKD: on his second column. Putting 2 INF on the mascot therefore isn't a waste of resources. He's also a champ at controlling Furious characters. Boar and vKat absolutely hate him!

Fun fact: Placing him in cover makes the opponent lose 4 (!) dice on their rolls! Sure, he has a DEF of only 2+, so it's possible for the enemy to hit all his dice, but most wingers/strikers only have 4/5 dice! This means that the only way they can pull the ball off of him, they are forced to charge in. Whenever they're afterwards engaged, they have to pay more INF to Pass or take a Shot.

Wrecker's only vice is 2" models. Ramming Speed only pushes 2", so Parting Blows are a thing. That's Not The Ball and Follow Up only work if he is engaging the opponent. So watch out with 2" strikers (Fishermen, Vitriol, Mist) or models with easy KD's (Farmer captains, Tapper and Hooper).

When would I bring Wrecker over Marbles:

• When I'm not playing Brick, as the double counter charge bubble is just too clock efficient to leave behind.
  • When the opposing team doesn't have strikers with 2" reach and/or buyable dodges.

Good into: matches when not playing Brick (Alchemists, Engineers) // Risky into: 2" melee zone heavy teams, either with easy KD's or with 2" strikers (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Fishermen)

Brick

The main reason people dislike playing against Mason's, I think. His Counter Charge, and the fact that he activates Marbles to have the same trait and so forming a double defensive bubble, makes playing into Mason's one big puzzle. That is, if you play them correctly.

The first time you play Brick, you just think he's a goalie, but he can be so much more than that. With a :momKD: on 3 and having the Knockback trait, he's more than capable to keep aggressors off of your more important models. Just be sure to keep charge lanes open! When played correctly, your opponent will have to deal with Brick (and Marbles) first, or face the consequences of the charge(s). Brick, together with Marbles, is a win condition onto itself. It will require your opponent to solve the puzzle first, which will eat his clock time.

One thing to keep in mind is that the orientation of Brick and Marbles can be changed according to the situation. You can play them side by side, to defend a wider area, but this will also make it easier for the opponent to place a model in between the both of them and basically turn off their defensive bubbles. Sure, they'll have a good chance of losing that particular model, but you've just lost the protective bubble on your most important models. Most of the times, people will use speedy Mascots or 5+ models with 2" reach for this. TIP: when this happens and Brick hasn't activated yet, check the opponent's card and if there's no KD on it, just move away and thereby activate your defensive bubble again. Sure, you'll get a Parting Blow, but Brick has 2 ARM and Tough Hide. He can handle it. ;) 

You can also play them in a line, with Marbles being in front, just daring the opponent to come and get him. In this way, you increase the length of your defensive bubble, but you're more vulnerable from the sides. So be sure to think about your opponent's gameplan. Is he going to spread out? Is he trying to make a central scrum? Does he have models, which can easily turn off my bubbles?

Also, don't be scared to move the bubbles along with your front line. Hammer or Honour love having these bubbles to protect them from harm, while they themselves can project massive threat for the coming turn.

Brick's biggest problem is his movement stat of 4"/6", which can easily be affected by Character Plays because of his 2+ DEF. The Burning and Snared conditions are his greatest enemies. Playing with Brick also means that you're moving your front-line up slowly and methodically. This plays right into the gameplan of several non-interactive lists. This is mainly why I myself keep him off the Pitch against the Smoke Alchemists, Esters Brewers, Corsair Fish, the gun-line Engineers and the Hunters.

Against Tapper Brewers, Farmers, Butchers, Blacksmiths and Rage Union, he's worth his weight in gold.

Shark and Midas usually also have enough methods of keeping him occupied, although it might be a good thing to still put him on the Pitch, as it will still make goal runs somewhat of a puzzle. It's just a matter of personal choice.

Good into: scrummy teams // Risky into: speedy teams, gun-line teams

Chisel

Ah, Chisel. You either love her, or downright hate her. Looking at her fluff, she's described as being this unstable murder-type player. Sure, she has Crazy and Painful Rage, but those are actually the only things going for her flavour-wise.

Looking at her Playbook, it's a damned MESS. Her :mom2: is on column 4 of a total of 7 columns. Basically, to do something useful, she needs to go Crazy, have Painful Rage triggered, and her target must be Singled Out and KD'd with a 2+ or 3+ DEF. And even then, she'll be hard-pressed to do over 14 damage. If she wants to have Sadism active, that'll leave her with only 10-11 damage. With all this effort, this means that she'll now be somewhere close to the scrum. At 3+/1 and only 6-9 HP, she'll die from a stiff breeze. #NotWorth

The above statement has been the main reason why Chisel has been put into the 'non-viable' category, but this has slightly changed after @Devilsquid's post.

He talks about Chisel in a totally different way, namely as being one of his most successful ball retrievers. At 8" Sprint and 2" melee, she has a 10" threat to attack the ball with (at least) TAC 7 and having a :momT: on 2. Her Playbook is also loaded to the brim with dodges, and she can even momentously activate Feel My Pain by taking the :momGB: in her third column. This will cause opposing strikers/wingers to receive 2 DMG, every time they take a swing at her. Most strikers/wingers have 10-14 HP, so this is actually quite useful. Example: attack the ball carrier, get a counter-attack, take Feel My Pain, his counter-attack hurts him, tackle the ball away, dodge around or pass the ball away. When keeping the ball, he'll most likely try and tackle it back. That's another 2 damage, and you can counter-attack and tackle, making him attack Chisel again. If you're lucky, this is 3 attacks needed to keep the ball, which causes 6 damage, along with any damage you dealt while attacking the ball, resulting in ~6-9 damage.

Just keep her away from the scrum, or speedy murder-types (Fillet, Scalpel). I myself still have to try her out in this fashion, but I'd say that you'll leave her benched against teams with ranged plays, and speedy murderers. So this means Smoke Alchemists, Brewers, Blacksmiths, Butchers, Farmers, Engineers, Hunters, Masons and Rage Union.

I think she has some merit against Fishermen, Midas Alchemists, Brisket Union and might be useful against Morticians.

Good into: footbally teams // Risky into: scrummy teams, gun-line teams, fast murderers

Flint

Flint, oh Flint. The one man so adept at the scoring game, that every other man gives him their utmost respect. It's either that, or Flint might be Brisket's male twin. 

The Mason's main striker has been called the best non-captain striker in the game on multiple occasions, with only having Mist as actual competition for that title. I myself still think Mist is better, but Flint fits the team better. He can benefit from Plays like Superior Strategy, which increase his ball/goal threat range to a whopping 29"! I don't see Mist do anything like that anytime soon. ;) He's also one of the models that has the highest chances of stripping the ball ánd scoring a goal in the same activation.

Charmed (Male) and defensive stats of 3+/1 show that Flint isn't as elusive as most other strikers, who seem to have (easy access to) a DEF stat of 5+. This is his greatest downside.

There are enough threats in the game to make choosing Flint for the 6 not that easy. Alchemist's Vitriol can easily take the ball off of him due to having 2" melee, and Calculus' Blind is a real nuisance. Blacksmith's Ferrite and Cast can give him some trouble. Brewer's Esters and Friday can easily hit their CP's. Butcher's Fillet and Meathook can delete him from the Pitch in no time. Just like Engineer's Pin Vice can. Against the Farmer's, he should watch out for Fallow, but that shouldn't be a problem. The Fishermen's oSiren can easily strip the ball off of him, again by outranging him. Hunters have no real female threats, until vMinx comes out, but their massive control in Theron and traps make it a 50/50 for Flint. Masons have the sisters and Chisel, so they are oddly the best team equipped to deal with their own striker. Morticians have multiple threats in Scalpel, Cosset, Pelage and vHemlocke. And last, but not least, the Union have threats in Gutter, Decimate, Hemlocke (Blind) and Minx. But this doesn't mean he'll survive against male beaters, or male strikers like Flint. He just has a slightly better chance at surviving / keeping the ball. :P

Also, don't forget control effects like Puppet Master and Seduced. It always sucks when your opponent can pass the ball towards their own team with your 4 die kick, or even score that snap shot! Obulus and oSiren are therefore important to keep tabs on. And then there's Corsair's Rough Seas, and plays like Ball's Gone that can circumvent Close Control

Basically, playing Flint means one thing: I am going to score, fast, and there is a huge possibility that I will trade Flint for it. When he comes back on the Pitch, he's most of the times already back in position to score again. He should ALWAYS threaten the ball. Make your opponents sink resources into killing him (favourably after he's scored ;)). He's also one of the worst strikers to hold hostage, due to him having Where'd They Go, so your opponents are forced to take him out a.s.a.p. This gives you room to do something else; take-outs or ball-threatening.

Good into: teams where you can easily trade Flint for a goal (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Ox Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Union)  // Risky into: female beaters / female strikers / heavy control (Alchemists, Fillet Butchers, Fishermen, Hunters, Masons, Morticians)

Harmony

Honour's little sister. Very versatile in her options, only limited due to the necessity of the Family buff. She can beat down, she can strike, she can retrieve the ball, she can play hit-and-run. There's just one rule: never play her without Honour.

Having Harmony around for janky Linked activations is one of the Mason's strongest powers. Beating down with 10-12 INF? Possible. Making janky goal runs right through your opponent's lines? Possible.

One cool trick that I usually like to do when in possession of the ball is putting Harmony within 16" of the enemy goal. I give the ball to Honour on my last activation, who runs up to Harmony, places Superior Strategy on her and passes the ball. Dodge 4", immediately go next with Harmony and go for that goal! Why this works, is because after activating her, most players won't see Harmony as a threat anymore. #MindGames

Just look at her as being a possible extension of Honour's activation. She doesn't always have to do something, but the fact that she's on the Pitch makes that your opponent will always need to keep tabs on her.

Good into: games with Honour // Risky into: games without Honour

veteran Harmony

Honour's little sister, all grown up. She feels like she doesn't need her sister anymore, and you can see that in Animosity. No more Linked shenanigans.

With Marked Target and Smelling Salts, she's the ideal character against teams that like to hold back and throw poo at you. Breaking Play fills that exact same role, while Team Player can be a damn life-saver... literally!

She has some game with both captains, and has some janky tricks with Granite's Between a Rock... At the moment, she's in my 10 for the games against the high-condition teams, like Hunters and Smoke. And now also Rat Catchers, with their damned diseased condition! She might also be useful against Esters, Burnish and Fillet (burning and bleed), but I feel that Lucky can handle the conditions well enough for those matches.

Good into: condition-based teams that like to hang back (Hunters, Rat Catchers, Smoke) // Risky into: teams that can easily burst her down (Brewers, Butchers, Farmers, Masons)

Mallet

The veteran of the squad. One of the Guild's support models, who can also do some decent work as a beater.

At 2 ARM and 16 HP, he's got a decent amount of tankiness, while also having the well-known Mason DEF stat of 3+. He's quite a bit slower than the rest of the squad at 4"/6", but his Extended Reach of 3" during his activation helps somewhat. 

The most important part of the Playbook is the first column, which holds the :momGB:. With this token, he can buy either Singled Out or Smashed Shins. Together with his 3" melee reach, he's quite adept at making an elusive target's life a living Hell. His :momKD: and :momT: are on the third column, which should be obtainable after Singled Out's +2 TAC, giving him 7 dice on each attack. He also has :mom2: on the second column, which makes him able to easily pump out 6 damage and 3 momentum during his activation (9 with Tooled Up), after Singled Out, and this is increased with another 2 DMG if you charge, due to Forceful Blow.

But (in my opinion) it's best to use the old-timer as a set-up piece for the actual beaters of the team. Singled Out:momKD: ánd some :momP: results to make it easier for either Honour, Hammer or Lucky to come in and delete the target.

Make sure that Mallet's usually places somewhere in the middle of the squad, so most of your squad will be buffed by Football Aura. Playing the ball around should not be that much of a problem (unless a mascot or Brick has the ball).

His low movement speed and DEF stat makes it easy for the opponent to control his area of influence. Burning, Snared, and the various movement inhibiting CP's are your greatest enemy. Due to this, I usually leave him off of the Pitch against burning/snared/roughground-heavy teams (Smoke, Esters, Engineers, Hunters).

Good into: teams with elusive priority targets (Midas, Fillet, Fishermen, Morticians, Union) // Risky into: (Smoke, Esters, Engineers, Hunters)

Tower

The Mason's ultimate defensive toolbox model. Easy pushes, Tooled Up, Defensive Stance AoE, Sturdy aura heroic. I play him in at least 80% of my matches.

Tower really wants to be in the thick of it, breaking up scrums and fortifying the rest of the team to make sure your team wins fights. With :momP: at 1 ánd having Knockback, he has a very strong counter-attack, that the likes of Fillet, Jaecar and Scalpel fear. Having :momPP: at 3 makes it possible to even push 2" models out of the scrum (3" pushes with Knockback!). This is even easier if people are on the ground, as Tower has Floored, giving him +2 TAC against KD'd targets.

With Defend the Ground, you have some MP efficiency due to being able to use Defensive Stance for free within the AoE. This is ideal against teams that like to charge in, or have multiple Furious models (Butchers, Hunters). 

On the other hand, there's his heroic, Protect Those Close, which is basically a 4" Sturdy aura around him. Ideal against teams like the Brewers and Farmers, that like to control the scrum by flooring your models. 

Tooled Up brings a way to play around Tough Hide, or makes it easier for other models to be as strong as Honour or Hammer. Mallet, Lucky and Brick, all having :mom2: at their second column, are able to produce quite a bit of hurting after being Tooled Up. If you really want to one-round someone, put it on either Hammer or Honour and watch that +2 DMG (Marbles' Assist or Iron Fist) throwing down 4+ DMG per hit!

Fun fact: having :momT: on 2, a 3/6" KICK stat ánd strong pushing power makes it possible for Tower to do some janky goal-runs. I've once tackled the ball away,, pushed my target towards their goal, and afterwards pushed him 2" away so he wouldn't engage Tower or intervened on the ball path. My tackle was at ~8" from their goal, but the tackle and push placed me 2" closer, getting me into scoring range. 

Good into: scrummy/charge teams (Brewers, Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Hunters) // Risky into: nothing, really. 

Granite

Just as with Chisel, @Devilsquid has previously made a very interesting post on big lady Granite as well. As there's no reason for me to really go in depth about her, I'll just summarize what Yann has said in his post.

Her main weakness lies in her speed. She's a slow lady, but there are ways to get her up the Pitch, or get the enemy to her. You can Kick Off with her, giving her 6" of movement after the kick, due to Foundation. Afterwards, you can make use of Between a Rock... (BaR) to get her another 3" further onto the Pitch, before she even activates herself. A little trick to trigger BaR is with veteran Harmony's Team Player trait. This extends the range of BaR by another 5+"; a squad member gets hit, Harmony takes the damage, BaR triggers for Granite. Also, don't forget Honour's Quick Time! So that's 3" (kick off) + 3" (Foundation) + 3" (Bar) + 2" (Quick Time) + 3"/5" (MOV) for between 12" and 16" of movement. You can also use your team to move the opponent's models into her. Hammer and Tower have Knockback. Honour, Lucky and Mallet can all quite reliably push as well. Wrecker can push with Ramming Speed

Sure, you really need to make it happen through setup, but she'll be worth it. Sturdy, 2 ARM and a whole lot of health makes sure she'll survive the initial onslaught. Keep Lucky/Tower/vHarmony around her for (condition) protection. Gut and String and Tar Pit makes her one of the best tar-pit models in the game, and she has a decent playbook with :mom1: on 1, :momKD: on 2 and :mom2: or :momGB:+:mom1: on 3.

Good into: medium/low-speed teams without mov debuffs  // Risky into: fast teams, burning/snared/mov-debuff heavy teams

Lucky

I usually call him Baby Hammer. Because of his Playbook, he can reliably dish out tons of damage (after some setup) ánd still get momentum. That :mom3: on column 4 is beautiful!

Don't let his 2/3 INF statline fool you. In a Honour team, he can easily get 5 INF! Bring Tower for Tooled Up, and that's a 5 INF Tooled Up :mom2: on 2 model, that can get to town! Story-time: I one-rounded Ghast after using the Shove the Boot In gameplan. 5 INF, 4 attacks (Fear), 5+5+5+6 damage, 3 momentum + 1 from the kill, 2 VP. Yes, it required some setup, but it's doable! How to get him to 5 INF? Put 3 on him. Honour's Legendary for the 4th. Stack the Deck for the 5th. (Legendary and Stack the Deck are 'gain', not 'allocate'!)

With his :momT: on 2, :momKD: on 3 and :PD: on 3, he can also behave as quite the toolbox. And with a 3/6" KICK stat, 8" Sprint and potentially 4" Dodge from Raise the Stakes, he also has an unbuffed 18" goal threat. It's amazing how much jank you can do with this costless ability. Just be sure that your opponent can't gain a huge advantage from using Raise the Stakes.

Sleight of Hand makes him even more valuable as a supporting beater. Teams like Tapper, Fillet, Theron, Esters and Burnish will have quiet a problem with keeping those conditions active (KD, Bleed, Snared, Burning). Together with veteran Harmony, he can even make the most condition heavy teams a living hell (Smoke, Rat Catchers). In my eyes, Lucky actually is our second most valuable squaddie, after Tower.

Good into: Basically everything // Risky into: Nothing, really.

26 minutes ago, Nykolae said:

This post will get updated whenever I have time to spare. I'd like to try and be as complete as possible, while still keeping open the possibility to debate, as I in no way consider myself as an absolute pro Mason's player.

I've just realised I've been missing updates that get made if people edit their posts, so it may be easier to create new ones each time (that way I get a flag to tell me something's changed :) )

38 minutes ago, Mako said:

I've just realised I've been missing updates that get made if people edit their posts, so it may be easier to create new ones each time (that way I get a flag to tell me something's changed :) )

Will do!

Marbles (M) 

This crazed, poo-flinging monkey is best taken when you're thinking of bringing Brick as well, or if you're taking Honour as your captain. This doesn't mean he has no use without these two, but his efficiency will suffer greatly.

Due to Go Ape!, Marbles gains Counter Charge when within 4" of his big bud Brick. Having a decently set up double counter charge bubble can cause your opponent major headaches. Normally, Brick can defend his fellow teammates, but not himself, but now Marbles and Brick can defend each other as well. Make sure to keep charge paths open, so your opponent only has sub-optimal positioning options. This can really set you up in leading the game clock and forcing some clock VP from your opponent.

On the counter charge, his :momP: on the second column of his Playbook is (in my opinion) the most important result, as you can push the opponent's model out of engagement range. If you're lucky, the only option the opponent has left is attacking Marbles, which will grant you Loved Creature's +1 TAC on all of your models.

Loved Creature also makes possible using Marbles as 'bait'. They have to delete him immediately, or suffer Honour's wrath in the following activation. So don't be too afraid with positioning him aggressively. At the very least, they sink lots of INF in taking him out, resulting in only 1 VP, and you receiving a Guild-wide TAC buff for the remainder of the turn.

When playing Honour, your main play for setting up take-outs is making sure Marbles is engaging your target. This instantly gives Honour a TAC of 8, along with +1 DMG on all Playbook results, due to the Assist trait.

Also, never forget Goad! I've ruined several full-stack captain activations by goading him, and then running away away from the scrum/goal! Make sure you always have an MP lying around for that Bonus Time!, as rolling 1 die most of the times is too risky.

When would I bring Marbles over Wrecker:

• Whenever I pick Honour and think it's possible to do some take-outs.
  • Whenever I pick Brick and think I need a second defensive bubble.
  • Whenever my opponent has mostly 3+ DEF models, on which I can throw poo without much risk. 4+ is possible as well, but you better have that Bonus Time!

Good into: scrumming low DEF teams, teams that can't easily handle the double counter charge bubble (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Butchers, Farmers) // Risky into: matches where you won't pick either Honour or Brick

Wrecker (M) 

ROLANDOOOOO!!! Not picking Brick? Not picking Honour? This little ball of armored plating can bring enormous efficiency in controlling scrums or tracking down dodge-less wingers/strikers.

His Rollerball trait gives him a 8"/10" MOV, making sure he'll always be able to keep up with speedy strikers. If those strikers also don't have buyable dodges (Acrobatic, Where'd They Go?!, etc.), Follow Up makes sure he can follow those strikers for another 8". That's Not The Ball afterwards works like Horrific Odour in causing the opponent's model to have to pay another INF to Kick. Pro-Tip: when playing rather aggressively, this trait along with the Offside Trap Gameplan makes the striker having to pay 3 INF just to Kick! :P

Of course, ruining striker's lives isn't his only use. With Ramming Speed, which is free when activating Rollerball, you can totally change the opponent's positioning in scrums. Push their models deeper into your lines, push others out of engagement ranges; you can do quite a bit with 10" of movement! Remember that he also has a :momKD: on his second column. Putting 2 INF on the mascot therefore isn't a waste of resources. He's also a champ at controlling Furious characters. Boar and vKat absolutely hate him!

Fun fact: Placing him in cover makes the opponent lose 4 (!) dice on their rolls! Sure, he has a DEF of only 2+, so it's possible for the enemy to hit all his dice, but most wingers/strikers only have 4/5 dice! This means that the only way they can pull the ball off of him, they are forced to charge in. Whenever they're afterwards engaged, they have to pay more INF to Pass or take a Shot.

Wrecker's only vice is 2" models. Ramming Speed only pushes 2", so Parting Blows are a thing. That's Not The Ball and Follow Up only work if he is engaging the opponent. So watch out with 2" strikers (Fishermen, Vitriol, Mist) or models with easy KD's (Farmer captains, Tapper and Hooper).

When would I bring Wrecker over Marbles:

• When I'm not playing Brick, as the double counter charge bubble is just too clock efficient to leave behind.
  • When the opposing team doesn't have strikers with 2" reach and/or buyable dodges.

Good into: matches when not playing Brick (Alchemists, Engineers) // Risky into: 2" melee zone heavy teams, either with easy KD's or with 2" strikers (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Fishermen)

PS to @Mako: I'll also copy this into my first post, so you'll be able to find everything I write in that one post. The pings will just show that I've added more info. ;)

4 hours ago, Devilsquid said:

Chisel and Granite are the two trickier models to use, and my write up on them are in these forums. :)

That’s actually what started this whole thing off :D

Brick

The main reason people dislike playing against Mason's, I think. His Counter Charge, and the fact that he activates Marbles to have the same trait and so forming a double defensive bubble, makes playing into Mason's one big puzzle. That is, if you play them correctly.

The first time you play Brick, you just think he's a goalie, but he can be so much more than that. With a :momKD: on 3 and having the Knockback trait, he's more than capable to keep aggressors off of your more important models. Just be sure to keep charge lanes open! When played correctly, your opponent will have to deal with Brick (and Marbles) first, or face the consequences of the charge(s). Brick, together with Marbles, is a win condition onto itself. It will require your opponent to solve the puzzle first, which will eat his clock time.

One thing to keep in mind is that the orientation of Brick and Marbles can be changed according to the situation. You can play them side by side, to defend a wider area, but this will also make it easier for the opponent to place a model in between the both of them and basically turn off their defensive bubbles. Sure, they'll have a good chance of losing that particular model, but you've just lost the protective bubble on your most important models. Most of the times, people will use speedy Mascots or 5+ models with 2" reach for this. TIP: when this happens and Brick hasn't activated yet, check the opponent's card and if there's no KD on it, just move away and thereby activate your defensive bubble again. Sure, you'll get a Parting Blow, but Brick has 2 ARM and Tough Hide. He can handle it. ;) 

You can also play them in a line, with Marbles being in front, just daring the opponent to come and get him. In this way, you increase the length of your defensive bubble, but you're more vulnerable from the sides. So be sure to think about your opponent's gameplan. Is he going to spread out? Is he trying to make a central scrum? Does he have models, which can easily turn off my bubbles?

Also, don't be scared to move the bubbles along with your front line. Hammer or Honour love having these bubbles to protect them from harm, while they themselves can project massive threat for the coming turn.

Brick's biggest problem is his movement stat of 4"/6", which can easily be affected by Character Plays because of his 2+ DEF. The Burning and Snared conditions are his greatest enemies. Playing with Brick also means that you're moving your front-line up slowly and methodically. This plays right into the gameplan of several non-interactive lists. This is mainly why I myself keep him off the Pitch against the Smoke Alchemists, Esters Brewers, Corsair Fish, the gun-line Engineers and the Hunters.

Against Tapper Brewers, Farmers, Butchers, Blacksmiths and Rage Union, he's worth his weight in gold.

Shark and Midas usually also have enough methods of keeping him occupied, although it might be a good thing to still put him on the Pitch, as it will still make goal runs somewhat of a puzzle. It's just a matter of personal choice.

Good into: scrummy teams // Risky into: speedy teams, gun-line teams

Chisel

Ah, Chisel. You either love her, or downright hate her. Looking at her fluff, she's described as being this unstable murder-type player. Sure, she has Crazy and Painful Rage, but those are actually the only things going for her flavour-wise.

Looking at her Playbook, it's a damned MESS. Her :mom2: is on column 4 of a total of 7 columns. Basically, to do something useful, she needs to go Crazy, have Painful Rage triggered, and her target must be Singled Out and KD'd with a 2+ or 3+ DEF. And even then, she'll be hard-pressed to do over 14 damage. If she wants to have Sadism active, that'll leave her with only 10-11 damage. With all this effort, this means that she'll now be somewhere close to the scrum. At 3+/1 and only 6-9 HP, she'll die from a stiff breeze. #NotWorth

The above statement has been the main reason why Chisel has been put into the 'non-viable' category, but this has slightly changed after @Devilsquid's post.

He talks about Chisel in a totally different way, namely as being one of his most successful ball retrievers. At 8" Sprint and 2" melee, she has a 10" threat to attack the ball with (at least) TAC 7 and having a :momT: on 2. Her Playbook is also loaded to the brim with dodges, and she can even momentously activate Feel My Pain by taking the :momGB: in her third column. This will cause opposing strikers/wingers to receive 2 DMG, every time they take a swing at her. Most strikers/wingers have 10-14 HP, so this is actually quite useful. Example: attack the ball carrier, get a counter-attack, take Feel My Pain, his counter-attack hurts him, tackle the ball away, dodge around or pass the ball away. When keeping the ball, he'll most likely try and tackle it back. That's another 2 damage, and you can counter-attack and tackle, making him attack Chisel again. If you're lucky, this is 3 attacks needed to keep the ball, which causes 6 damage, along with any damage you dealt while attacking the ball, resulting in ~6-9 damage.

Just keep her away from the scrum, or speedy murder-types (Fillet, Scalpel). I myself still have to try her out in this fashion, but I'd say that you'll leave her benched against teams with ranged plays, and speedy murderers. So this means Smoke Alchemists, Brewers, Blacksmiths, Butchers, Farmers, Engineers, Hunters, Masons and Rage Union.

I think she has some merit against Fishermen, Midas Alchemists, Brisket Union and might be useful against Morticians.

Good into: footbally teams // Risky into: scrummy teams, gun-line teams, fast murderers

Finally got round to updating - even found @Devilsquid's Granite thread (though if he's reading this, any thoughts on matchups to avoid/aim for?) :D

Still open for updates, additions and tweaks, of course!

Flint

Flint, oh Flint. The one man so adept at the scoring game, that every other man gives him their utmost respect. It's either that, or Flint might be Brisket's male twin. 

The Mason's main striker has been called the best non-captain striker in the game on multiple occasions, with only having Mist as actual competition for that title. I myself still think Mist is better, but Flint fits the team better. He can benefit from Plays like Superior Strategy, which increase his ball/goal threat range to a whopping 29"! I don't see Mist do anything like that anytime soon. ;) He's also one of the models that has the highest chances of stripping the ball ánd scoring a goal in the same activation.

Charmed (Male) and defensive stats of 3+/1 show that Flint isn't as elusive as most other strikers, who seem to have (easy access to) a DEF stat of 5+. This is his greatest downside.

There are enough threats in the game to make choosing Flint for the 6 not that easy. Alchemist's Vitriol can easily take the ball off of him due to having 2" melee, and Calculus' Blind is a real nuisance. Blacksmith's Ferrite and Cast can give him some trouble. Brewer's Esters and Friday can easily hit their CP's. Butcher's Fillet and Meathook can delete him from the Pitch in no time. Just like Engineer's Pin Vice can. Against the Farmer's, he should watch out for Fallow, but that shouldn't be a problem. The Fishermen's oSiren can easily strip the ball off of him, again by outranging him. Hunters have no real female threats, until vMinx comes out, but their massive control in Theron and traps make it a 50/50 for Flint. Masons have the sisters and Chisel, so they are oddly the best team equipped to deal with their own striker. Morticians have multiple threats in Scalpel, Cosset, Pelage and vHemlocke. And last, but not least, the Union have threats in Gutter, Decimate, Hemlocke (Blind) and Minx. But this doesn't mean he'll survive against male beaters, or male strikers like Flint. He just has a slightly better chance at surviving / keeping the ball. :P

Also, don't forget control effects like Puppet Master and Seduced. It always sucks when your opponent can pass the ball towards their own team with your 4 die kick, or even score that snap shot! Obulus and oSiren are therefore important to keep tabs on. And then there's Corsair's Rough Seas, and plays like Ball's Gone that can circumvent Close Control

Basically, playing Flint means one thing: I am going to score, fast, and there is a huge possibility that I will trade Flint for it. When he comes back on the Pitch, he's most of the times already back in position to score again. He should ALWAYS threaten the ball. Make your opponents sink resources into killing him (favourably after he's scored ;)). He's also one of the worst strikers to hold hostage, due to him having Where'd They Go, so your opponents are forced to take him out a.s.a.p. This gives you room to do something else; take-outs or ball-threatening.

Good into: teams where you can easily trade Flint for a goal (Blacksmiths, Brewers, Ox Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Union)  // Risky into: female beaters / female strikers / heavy control (Alchemists, Fillet Butchers, Fishermen, Hunters, Masons, Morticians)

Harmony

Honour's little sister. Very versatile in her options, only limited due to the necessity of the Family buff. She can beat down, she can strike, she can retrieve the ball, she can play hit-and-run. There's just one rule: never play her without Honour.

Having Harmony around for janky Linked activations is one of the Mason's strongest powers. Beating down with 10-12 INF? Possible. Making janky goal runs right through your opponent's lines? Possible.

One cool trick that I usually like to do when in possession of the ball is putting Harmony within 16" of the enemy goal. I give the ball to Honour on my last activation, who runs up to Harmony, places Superior Strategy on her and passes the ball. Dodge 4", immediately go next with Harmony and go for that goal! Why this works, is because after activating her, most players won't see Harmony as a threat anymore. #MindGames

Just look at her as being a possible extension of Honour's activation. She doesn't always have to do something, but the fact that she's on the Pitch makes that your opponent will always need to keep tabs on her.

Good into: games with Honour // Risky into: games without Honour

veteran Harmony

Honour's little sister, all grown up. She feels like she doesn't need her sister anymore, and you can see that in Animosity. No more Linked shenanigans.

With Marked Target and Smelling Salts, she's the ideal character against teams that like to hold back and throw poo at you. Breaking Play fills that exact same role, while Team Player can be a damn life-saver... literally!

She has some game with both captains, and has some janky tricks with Granite's Between a Rock... At the moment, she's in my 10 for the games against the high-condition teams, like Hunters and Smoke. And now also Rat Catchers, with their damned diseased condition! She might also be useful against Esters, Burnish and Fillet (burning and bleed), but I feel that Lucky can handle the conditions well enough for those matches.

Good into: condition-based teams that like to hang back (Hunters, Rat Catchers, Smoke) // Risky into: teams that can easily burst her down (Brewers, Butchers, Farmers, Masons)

Mallet

The veteran of the squad. One of the Guild's support models, who can also do some decent work as a beater.

At 2 ARM and 16 HP, he's got a decent amount of tankiness, while also having the well-known Mason DEF stat of 3+. He's quite a bit slower than the rest of the squad at 4"/6", but his Extended Reach of 3" during his activation helps somewhat. 

The most important part of the Playbook is the first column, which holds the :momGB:. With this token, he can buy either Singled Out or Smashed Shins. Together with his 3" melee reach, he's quite adept at making an elusive target's life a living Hell. His :momKD: and :momT: are on the third column, which should be obtainable after Singled Out's +2 TAC, giving him 7 dice on each attack. He also has :mom2: on the second column, which makes him able to easily pump out 6 damage and 3 momentum during his activation (9 with Tooled Up), after Singled Out, and this is increased with another 2 DMG if you charge, due to Forceful Blow.

But (in my opinion) it's best to use the old-timer as a set-up piece for the actual beaters of the team. Singled Out:momKD: ánd some :momP: results to make it easier for either Honour, Hammer or Lucky to come in and delete the target.

Make sure that Mallet's usually places somewhere in the middle of the squad, so most of your squad will be buffed by Football Aura. Playing the ball around should not be that much of a problem (unless a mascot or Brick has the ball).

His low movement speed and DEF stat makes it easy for the opponent to control his area of influence. Burning, Snared, and the various movement inhibiting CP's are your greatest enemy. Due to this, I usually leave him off of the Pitch against burning/snared/roughground-heavy teams (Smoke, Esters, Engineers, Hunters).

Good into: teams with elusive priority targets (Midas, Fillet, Fishermen, Morticians, Union) // Risky into: (Smoke, Esters, Engineers, Hunters)

Tower

The Mason's ultimate defensive toolbox model. Easy pushes, Tooled Up, Defensive Stance AoE, Sturdy aura heroic. I play him in at least 80% of my matches.

Tower really wants to be in the thick of it, breaking up scrums and fortifying the rest of the team to make sure your team wins fights. With :momP: at 1 ánd having Knockback, he has a very strong counter-attack, that the likes of Fillet, Jaecar and Scalpel fear. Having :momPP: at 3 makes it possible to even push 2" models out of the scrum (3" pushes with Knockback!). This is even easier if people are on the ground, as Tower has Floored, giving him +2 TAC against KD'd targets.

With Defend the Ground, you have some MP efficiency due to being able to use Defensive Stance for free within the AoE. This is ideal against teams that like to charge in, or have multiple Furious models (Butchers, Hunters). 

On the other hand, there's his heroic, Protect Those Close, which is basically a 4" Sturdy aura around him. Ideal against teams like the Brewers and Farmers, that like to control the scrum by flooring your models. 

Tooled Up brings a way to play around Tough Hide, or makes it easier for other models to be as strong as Honour or Hammer. Mallet, Lucky and Brick, all having :mom2: at their second column, are able to produce quite a bit of hurting after being Tooled Up. If you really want to one-round someone, put it on either Hammer or Honour and watch that +2 DMG (Marbles' Assist or Iron Fist) throwing down 4+ DMG per hit!

Fun fact: having :momT: on 2, a 3/6" KICK stat ánd strong pushing power makes it possible for Tower to do some janky goal-runs. I've once tackled the ball away,, pushed my target towards their goal, and afterwards pushed him 2" away so he wouldn't engage Tower or intervened on the ball path. My tackle was at ~8" from their goal, but the tackle and push placed me 2" closer, getting me into scoring range. 

Good into: scrummy/charge teams (Brewers, Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Hunters) // Risky into: nothing, really. 

Granite

Just as with Chisel, @Devilsquid has previously made a very interesting post on big lady Granite as well. As there's no reason for me to really go in depth about her, I'll just summarize what Yann has said in his post.

Her main weakness lies in her speed. She's a slow lady, but there are ways to get her up the Pitch, or get the enemy to her. You can Kick Off with her, giving her 6" of movement after the kick, due to Foundation. Afterwards, you can make use of Between a Rock... (BaR) to get her another 3" further onto the Pitch, before she even activates herself. A little trick to trigger BaR is with veteran Harmony's Team Player trait. This extends the range of BaR by another 5+"; a squad member gets hit, Harmony takes the damage, BaR triggers for Granite. Also, don't forget Honour's Quick Time! So that's 3" (kick off) + 3" (Foundation) + 3" (Bar) + 2" (Quick Time) + 3"/5" (MOV) for between 12" and 16" of movement. You can also use your team to move the opponent's models into her. Hammer and Tower have Knockback. Honour, Lucky and Mallet can all quite reliably push as well. Wrecker can push with Ramming Speed

Sure, you really need to make it happen through setup, but she'll be worth it. Sturdy, 2 ARM and a whole lot of health makes sure she'll survive the initial onslaught. Keep Lucky/Tower/vHarmony around her for (condition) protection. Gut and String and Tar Pit makes her one of the best tar-pit models in the game, and she has a decent playbook with :mom1: on 1, :momKD: on 2 and :mom2: or :momGB:+:mom1: on 3.

Good into: medium/low-speed teams without mov debuffs  // Risky into: fast teams, burning/snared/mov-debuff heavy teams

Lucky

I usually call him Baby Hammer. Because of his Playbook, he can reliably dish out tons of damage (after some setup) ánd still get momentum. That :mom3: on column 4 is beautiful!

Don't let his 2/3 INF statline fool you. In a Honour team, he can easily get 5 INF! Bring Tower for Tooled Up, and that's a 5 INF Tooled Up :mom2: on 2 model, that can get to town! Story-time: I one-rounded Ghast after using the Shove the Boot In gameplan. 5 INF, 4 attacks (Fear), 5+5+5+6 damage, 3 momentum + 1 from the kill, 2 VP. Yes, it required some setup, but it's doable! How to get him to 5 INF? Put 3 on him. Honour's Legendary for the 4th. Stack the Deck for the 5th. (Legendary and Stack the Deck are 'gain', not 'allocate'!)

With his :momT: on 2, :momKD: on 3 and :PD: on 3, he can also behave as quite the toolbox. And with a 3/6" KICK stat, 8" Sprint and potentially 4" Dodge from Raise the Stakes, he also has an unbuffed 18" goal threat. It's amazing how much jank you can do with this costless ability. Just be sure that your opponent can't gain a huge advantage from using Raise the Stakes.

Sleight of Hand makes him even more valuable as a supporting beater. Teams like Tapper, Fillet, Theron, Esters and Burnish will have quiet a problem with keeping those conditions active (KD, Bleed, Snared, Burning). Together with veteran Harmony, he can even make the most condition heavy teams a living hell (Smoke, Rat Catchers). In my eyes, Lucky actually is our second most valuable squaddie, after Tower.

Good into: Basically everything // Risky into: Nothing, really.

Well, that's it then. All of the Mason's players done! @Mako, is this enough, or do you need more? ;) I can also write some Mason's vs Guild X paragraphs? Or is it better to put that in @EpicChris' tactics thread?

@Nykolae after reading You're Text about lucky I realy want to try him. Do You and How Do You play him with hammer? With honour it's clear for me, but with Hammer He Seems to loose Potential. 

9 hours ago, Swissmade said:

@Nykolae after reading You're Text about lucky I realy want to try him. Do You and How Do You play him with hammer? With honour it's clear for me, but with Hammer He Seems to loose Potential. 

With Hammer, he can still be super useful. You lose the INF from Honour's Legendary, but (if set up correctly) you gain one of Hammer's buffs from his Legendary. Get Tooled Up and Lucky has +2 DMG per hit as well.

Basically, you lose 1 INF, but that'll not hugely impact his potential. Don't actively hunt for this btw; Lucky and Tower together can produce as much mayhem as Hammer on his own. ;)