Snow

New to Butchers - how should I run the minis I have?

Greetings meat carvers - Going to play my first game with the guild this week, only ever played into them twice as well, so not very familiar.

I currently have: Ox, Princess, Boiler, Either Brisket, proxying vet gutter, plus any union pick.

Any suggestions on which Union choice to take? Which Brisket? Top tips for running this team as a Butchers noob? (Played Hunters and main Union.) Plus other tips for expanding my roster and running them in the future?
Any help much appreciated - thanks! :)

I think I'd probs go for the veteran version of brisket for the extra threat to the ball. As for union choice, you've got decent support and damage output between Ox, boiler and gutter, so I'd either add in decimate of you want a bit of dynamic opportunistic goal threat or f you want to go for more of a brawl, Avarisse for a KD/push set up merchant.

With Ox as captain i usually skip the union pick to maximize his auras effect, only tip i have is don't go all in on a boiler bomb unless you're sure it'll go off/ you actually need that much damage(farmers) also while he can deal ludicrous damage every butcher is a beast with Ox (I was blinded by his Damage output for a LONG time).

Brisket v Brisket is entirely down which toolbox you need more in your lineup, i'm partial to VBrisket because of the bonus Inf and dodge for her friends.

I use almost every model save for Tenderizer regularly but to finish out a 6 i'd grab Meathook and Shank as they're flexible in their roles and have earned cheeky goals now and again.

I have been trying to avoid Union players lately (early getting used to not having them as an option). When I do I go with Minx, regardless of who my captain is. Snared is handy to have, as is screeching banshee etc, and they combo up well with butchery and Ox's legendary.

In terms of expanding, it is totally up to you I mean why not get the full squad? maybe grab Fillet to give you the extra choice of captain and Boar is great under Ox. It's really no difference who you run etc so long as you are getting consistent practice and learning how to play your team into others via trial and error (or success).

Thanks for the tips. I probably will skip union once I have another guild choice! Leaning towards taking Minx for setting up snared and dodging back out, seeing as she doesn't benefit from the auras. At the moment I just have the three valentine's minis and chibi Ox. I'l end up wanting to collect all the guild models and I'll probably be converting most, if not all of them. Just wanted to get a feel for which minis people are finding most effective. Will have a nose through the forum for tactics like executing boiler bombs! Was having a look at the cards last night - Do all of Ox's buffs stack? (They ain't tough/butchery/the owner/get em lads) Looks like they do which is potentially pretty savage!

7 hours ago, Snow said:

Do all of Ox's buffs stack? (They ain't tough/butchery/the owner/get em lads) Looks like they do which is potentially pretty savage!

YES.

I have a great time with Ox. I like him more because of how much he helps every other Butcher as opposed to the selfish Fillet. My games using him are definitely more strategic as I'm working hard to figure out proper positioning and sequence of activations. Ox always has decent damage output but I find more and more often that I do not attack with him as often as I'd like. Especially on Legendary turns. The first time I activate second tends to be his Legendary turn. Activate him first and pop it, buff/debuff as applicable and then move everyone else in to capitalize on damage.

Using only the Butcher models you listed I would definitely endorse supplementing with Minx. She doesn't need influence to have a meaningful activation, and what she brings to the party works well with the other team members. I do prefer to run Butcher pure especially with Ox as captain.

Ended up taking Decimate for anatomical against Blacksmiths. Don't think it was a bad decision - second wind was useful for re-positioning Gutter turn one, and she finished off Iron for the winning takeout, but she's definitely less efficient than the guild pieces in this set up. Have a hunch Minx may be better, even against armour, as her snared is potentially a force multiplier for the heavier hitters. It'll be a moot point when I get more guild pieces though. 

vGutter and Ox did the heavy lifting for all four takeouts. Boiler ran with the dog, slightly off the scrum, for harassment, ball retrieval, and set up Brisket for the goal. Ended up taking oBrisket, just because that card came with the mini as much as anything. It's nice to be able to throw out dirty knives turn one if there's no goal on (I was kicking). Does kick/receive affect anyone's Brisket choice?

Overall I enjoyed them - won 12-4 and turns out vRage is quite good practise for running Ox! Seems like if your opponent lets you, they have more raw damage potential than a Rage team