Sign in to follow this  
Jotnebane

Brick, when to leave him on the bench

I've not seen Gutter in many games, but a couple of days ago I played a Vassal game against v.Rage  and friends.

I got Brick into a nice position in cover early, but as the scrum grew Gutter started getting off Scything Blow off of him. Then off of a KD Hammer. This was the first time I was on the receiving end of multiple Scything Blows and I don't want it to happen again.

So are there any particular match ups you would let Brick stay on the bench?

I also would like to see some opinion on this: I love Brick and Marbles - with Mallet there are in every Masons list I play (since Marbles got Go Ape). I don't play enough, however, to have the experience to know when not to take him.

• Gutter I have learnt is not a great much up, but also Hammer is probably not going to be good against her either, but then an Honour list without Marbles (is he good enough without Brick?) doesn't seem amazing either. Maybe vRage is a bad matchup for Masons.
  • Smoke doesn't seem a good match for Brick either, as the burning AoEs neutralise his threat, although when I played Alchemists I always found Masons my easiest matchup.

So far what I have learned since picking up masons is that I have never even considered not playing brick. 

He is one of the best batteries in the game, and he turns up marbles. 

Gutter abuses him but she does that to any KD Mason. 

Into Smoke, fire is rough, but except by the hands of Katalyst, Brick is not dying soon. 

I can see that Smoke is a rough matchup, and so is Veteran Rage. Im open to suggestions on how to deal with the non interactive playstyle of Smoke without Brick. Into Rage, I would always play him to make the ideal scrum harder for my opponent to setup. 

I like to play a very fast, aggressive Honour ball game into Smoke.  Honour, Marbles, Flint, Lucky, Harmony, Mist.  Smoke wants to play from relatively deep in her side of the field, which puts you in ready goal range once you close.  This team can close quickly, comes with a dash of free condition clearing, and 4 of the models can readily deal with Smoke's unpredictable movement if the opponent wants to try keeping the ball safe on her.  I could see Vet Harmony instead of oHarmony for more condition clearing and the possibility of using Team Player to make Witness Me! kills more difficult, but I like oHarmony for Acrobatic and linked activations with Honour here.