godoftheds

MBOARS Battle reporting software

So over the course of the last year I've been developing some software to help with battle reporting and live streaming. I'm calling it MBOARS The Miniatures Battle Observation and Review System. It has 2 really cool functions and one function that's not working 100% yet but I'm working on it. First it allows you to check line of sight from any point on the board for terrain. Next it allows you to check distances from any model. Lastly I have functionality in development to track models to help the announcer keep track of things on the board but it's a difficult problem so I'm not sure it will pan out but the first two features already hugely improve the battle reporting process. Originally I developed this software to be used with Warmachine & Hordes but since the two games share a base size it's full compatible with guild ball. Below are 2 videos the first is to a brief tech demo style video where I go through all the features. The second is a recording of a game of warmachine but within the first 10 or so minutes I make good enough use of the distance measurements that I'm sure you guys can get a feel for what it would do for guild ball streams. If you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions for my software feel free to ask. I don't have a business plan yet but I hope to have the software publicly available by the end of the year. Hope you enjoy:

Tech Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-fmzUssZ_w

Battle report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXNvWKNqJyc

Just watched the tech demo -- pretty cool.  In a past life I did a final year robotics project that involved tracking robots from above very similarly to this (brief trumpet blowing: I won an award from Google for it).

If you don't mind me asking (and if you'd rather discuss in private, then that's cool too), what are you using for feature detection? From the artefacts you're seeing I guess it's subtraction of the underlying image followed by thresholding?  That's consistent with the way the smaller grey models get lost inside the larger grey models.

How are you adjusting for parallax? Hard to eyeball, but the overlayed circles for range etc look like they're in a flat plane, while the underlying video is skewed slightly. Is there any processing for fisheye or skew correction?

So I'm not going to discuss the actual model identification because that's the novel part of the project but it is more than just subtracting the image (though that is how I'm detecting terrain hence the artifacting you see there). I'm also not currently checking for fisheye or skew simply because I want the setup process to be as simple as possible. I could add another step to the setup process in which they throw down a checkerboard to detect for those things and that's something I would consider as an option for the final release but most webcams that are relatively new are pretty good about fisheye and the user can adjust the camera on their own if they don't like the angle.