Sign in to follow this  
JacctheInsomniac

Stripping Paint?

Heyo

Okay, so I've got a pile of Mortician's who've all been painted VERY poorly, and they haven't been touched in a while so I'm wondering how I might go about stripping the paint and starting over.

Also, is it possible to strip glue as well? Among other such things, I painted Ghast's arms before I glued them on and now they're in the way of his cloth and a lot of the Morticians I have have little bits like that.

Stuff to be aware of?

I really want a second chance at painting these guys without having to buy a new box of them.

What material? Because SFG resin can be... touchy.

If it’s metal, then it’s a lot easier. Acetone, isopropyl alcohol, simple green, fairy power spray... there’s a ton of options, though Canadian supplies will differ from the ones I’m used to over here. 

Most glues can be stripped from metal using the old boil em and freeze em trick - warn them up n a pan of water (not actually boiling, though. Just warm/slightly hot), then dry them off and put them in the freezer overnight. If it doesn’t work first time, try it again. Usually a few cycles of that will crack the glue as the metal expands and contracts a little. You may need to scrape off any remaining lumps of glue though. And failing that, a good long soak in acetone first.

You can get pretty brutal with most metals :D

2 hours ago, Mako said:

What material? Because SFG resin can be... touchy.

If it’s metal, then it’s a lot easier. Acetone, isopropyl alcohol, simple green, fairy power spray... there’s a ton of options, though Canadian supplies will differ from the ones I’m used to over here. 

Most glues can be stripped from metal using the old boil em and freeze em trick - warn them up n a pan of water (not actually boiling, though. Just warm/slightly hot), then dry them off and put them in the freezer overnight. If it doesn’t work first time, try it again. Usually a few cycles of that will crack the glue as the metal expands and contracts a little. You may need to scrape off any remaining lumps of glue though. And failing that, a good long soak in acetone first.

You can get pretty brutal with most metals :D

They are metal yes but.... damn those techniques sound spookier than the Morticians I'm tryna paint. So much... patience..... and chemicals that probably smell weird and linger.

So it's really just scrubbing or soaking with alcohol based... stuff then?

Simply Green... drop them in and give it 48 hours... use an old tooth brush to get the paint off. May need a bit longer if varnished. Not harsh on you or the environment. Then the @Mako trick for the glue.

Cheers!!

Super Clean. At least, that's the brand name in my area or the US. Purple automotive degreaser. It strips paint, super glue, and varnish, while being safe for both metal and plastic. Resin's fine too, if you don't leave it in for more than a day or so.

I could usually get my things decently stripped after a few hours, or a day or so if the paint had really truly soaked in.

Yeah, alcohol solvents (acetone is nail varnish remover, isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol) or degreaser as @Siberys said. You’re trying to break down the acrylic binder in the paint basically. 

It sounds much worse than it is :D

Acetone is probably easiest to get hold of (in the UK at least) as it is just nail polish remover, so available at any supermarket/most chemists. Be careful with any chemical as some are not good in the water supply - think the bottles will often tell you if they are dangerous/how to dispose. Beware anyone who says brake fluid! Nasty, horrible stuff.

FPS (Fairy Power Spray) was what I used to strip plastics a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure they changed the recipe a while back which made it weaker, and I haven't seen it in shops for a while so it might be discontinued. It was amazing, though, and could be disposed of down the drain.

Youtube has several videos showing you how: this guy recommends methylated spirits on plastic and metal, but not resin.