Sign in to follow this  
AaronWilson.

What do you look for in a youtube channel??

Hi guys! 

Me and my friend are looking to create our own youtube channel dedicated to Tabletop gaming. Content would range from painting videos, to making scenery to battle reports and as it stands I'm currently doing some market research so my questions to you guys and girls are - 

1) What makes you subscribe to a youtube channel? 

2) What are the most important things to you in regards to battle reports?

I'd love to see a channel that was like a Guild Ball Wayne's World.

In all seriousness, though, a variety-show format could be cool. Do different things, have named segments, get guests, etc. And actually have it filmed like a talk show or like a news channel morning show.

32 minutes ago, RedSam said:

I'd love to see a channel that was like a Guild Ball Wayne's World.

In all seriousness, though, a variety-show format could be cool. Do different things, have named segments, get guests, etc. And actually have it filmed like a talk show or like a news channel morning show.

That sounds expensive!

Good luck! I look forward to your efforts.

I don't have time to watch a lot of battle reports (and there's a lot out there already in various formats) but a round-up of news, new games/products, discussions about painting/modelling ideas, general game tactics is something I might put on to listen to while painting (a bit like a podcast!)

I suppose for a youtube channel over an audio podcast you can take advantage of the video to show pictures of new models, or how to build something, or maybe discuss how to position your models on a table to get the best benefits from them. (I thought the recent Strictly the Worst video on how to measure distances was a good example of where video beats audio). Then I'll have to look up from the painting too!

1) What makes you subscribe to a youtube channel? 

The feeling I'm learning something new/that the content is useful. "Oh, I haven't thought about that," moments and whatnot. Having fun while watching is also a neat bonus.

2) What are the most important things to you in regards to battle reports?

Good commentary that explains the mistakes and better options (pretty much what Curkov does :)). A fast forward also helps. Doesn't need to be 20 minutes, but your regular 1h30min match is a bit long.

Magic: The Gathering has a lot of youtube gameplay channels, but the best and most popular content is tightly edited, sometimes enough to condense hours of gameplay into about 30 minutes. Also clarity of recording is important, most Guild Ball games I see have the camera affixed at a canted angle which makes it difficult to make out what's happening. Especially as players move in the way of the table when making their turns.

You don't have to be familiar with the MTG to compare Star City Games Commander series with Game Knights and MTG Mudstah.

Guild Ball can be durdly to watch and play. If you can invest the time into editing matches and gameplay down to the most important and entertaining takeaways rather than a blow by blow. Guerrilla Miniatures is still my favorite source of GB Content, even though sometimes the measuring is a bit loose and an important rule or two is missed; because it's clear.

However, it's typically only the most enfranchised players who will even seek out Youtube content so chances are you'll find a regular audience regardless of what you do, so long as it meets a baseline quality, and is consistent.