Sign in to follow this  
Mako

Engineer Player Summaries

Engineers! This thread is for you as a community to create and refine summaries for your models. If you like and use a particular model, and what you do with it isn't listed or the Guild you think they're great into (or risky into) isn't shown, post your thoughts below! The aim is to create a couple of sentences that sums up what each model can achieve on the pitch, to help newer Guild members get ideas. But don't feel you have to post about all of them, just go for ones you're confident with :)

I'll keep updating this first post with new information when people add it to this thread, so post away!

Ballista (C) -

A defensive, ranged-game Captain good at area denial. Tanky enough to survive the odd attack, but avoid getting caught by dedicated killers. A little setup will let him do decent damage to most targets, while his Legendary can knock people down and even provide a long range goal. Needs to stay with the team, avoid letting him get isolated.

Good into:  Slow Guilds, Goal focussed Guilds // Risky into: Fast takeout teams (Butchers)

Pin Vice (C) -

The ball-focussed Captain – good defence with Close Control and good counterattacks make her an excellent ball carrier. She can also score from unexpected angles, though those runs can be costly if you use Controller on friendly Mechanica. Setting herself up lets her serve as a decent beatstick with free charges and bonus damage, or she can spread the bonuses around to amplify the team’s abilities. If the ball is killed she can struggle.

Good into: low DEF teams, Slow teams (Brewers) // Risky into: Fishermen, Engineers

Mainspring (M) -

A good ball handler with decent movement, a free pass/Long Bomb, and the ability to serve as a snap shot point. Very inf efficient (effectively needs 0) when not attempting to score or Snap Shot, but remember to supply it with some when making goal runs.  

Good into: when Receiving // Risky into: ??

Mother (M) -

Fast, and with the ability to reclaim free balls or make runs on goal from a surprising distance away. Nest markers can also provide Hoist with extra mobility via True Replication.  

Good into: ?? // Risky into: ??

Colossus -

Fast and resilient, able to lead in and control the scrum with easy access to Singled Out and KD. Good at setting up takeouts for other models to finish off. Good at claiming and holding the ball, and even capable of the occasional goal, but needs support from other team members to really shine.

Good into: goal focussed teams, mobile teams (Fish, Alchemists)// Risky into: takeout focussed teams (Butchers, Farmers), Hunters, Morticians

Compound -

Very hard to control, making his Countercharge difficult to negate at range. This allows Engineers to sit back and work at range, forcing the other side to commit to their disadvantage. Early KD alongside Gluttonous Mass makes him hard to escape from, though a concerted effort by a takeout focussed team will eliminate him reliably. Models with lots of non-attack dodges can reduce his effectiveness.

Hoist -

Changes behaviour based on the team around him and what you need each turn – True Replication can make it a striker, control piece or even damager, as long as it’s positioned to take advantage of friendly Guild models. Poor positioning can limit its effectiveness severely.

Locus - 

Able to interfere with charges and goal runs at range via pushes. A solid defensive model with good ball holding and counterattack options, and able to kick free balls up to 6” away for surprise changes in direction or opportune goals. Needs careful positioning and use to get the best out of it.

Good into: Farmers (Thresher), Alchemists, goal-focussed teams (Fishermen) / Risky into: ??

Ratchet -

A solid support model, Mechanica-only condition removal (for free) and handing out free Sprints/Charges coupled with Tooled Up makes him ideal in a Mechanica heavy team. Best staying behind the front lines, but able to Long Bomb the ball downfield for opportune Snap Shots. As long as he’s kept out of melee he can provide support, control and ball skills.

Salvo -

Highly mobile striker with good KICK stats and the ability to collect loose balls at range. His Heroic Play lets him get work done with minimal Inf. Pin Vice's Mechanical Heart can turn him into an unexpectedly powerful goal threat. 

Good into: Ball Killing teams (Farmers, Brewers) // Risky into: Precision damage guilds

Velocity -

Hard to kill with a solid Counterattack, fast, and a great kick, she’s the Engineer’s toolbox if you want to score goals.

Veteran Velocity -

Vet Velocity is good into Shark Fish. And that's the only team I'd play her into. O Velocity is so much better.    She's not terrible but not tanky at all, and that's what Engineers are known for.

No one inclined to start things off with some suggestions?

I'll try and work it out myself, but that isn't going to result in good info :P

12 hours ago, Mako said:

No one inclined to start things off with some suggestions?

I'll try and work it out myself, but that isn't going to result in good info :P

A lot of us play engineers very differently, and some of the models have different weaknesses and strengths based on our own lineup more than the opponents.

I'll give it a go though.

Hoist.
Hoist is not that great on paper. He's a slower velocity that just doesn't die without an entire teams worth of influence put into him. He really shines with teamwork and his one character play, true rep.
Whether you want to go all striker by stealing burrow from mother or acrobatic from velocity, or maybe be cagey and dangle him infront of your opponent and throw blast earths, you can't go wrong as long as you plan your game around him and don't overextend him (or do, he just wont accomplish anything after that)
Good into: yes // risky into: poor positioning.

Mother
Mother can sprint 7. Then place a marker 4 inches away. From this point, you add the base size and choose your options. Grab a free ball base size +2 inches away from the marker for a ~14 threat on a free ball. Burrow to the marker for a 11+30mm base + 40mm base +4 inch kick threat on goal (about 17.75 inches). Or just leave markers on the field and have hoist teleport like houdini. Really as long as you know your ranges and threats from models and goals, there isn't a wrong play besides being out of range.
Good into: playing the game // risky into: seeing mainspring on the field instead

Mainspring
The only bad part of mainspring is that he's not mother. This mascot handles the ball like no other between a 6/8 move, free pass with 3 dice as well as free long bomb, he enables snapshots for days. As long as you have the ball. Bad part is the opponent also wants the ball so he only ever sees it once, maybe twice a game and its not super easy to turn that into goals when he's supposed to be efficient meaning no inf given to make any shots forcing you to have a snapshot turret ready to go.
Also is not mother.
sadness.
Good into: receiving // Risky into: not being mother

Ratchet
Ratchet is the mechanic your mechanic wishes he could be. No robot wants to enter the pitch without a checkup from this guy. His biggest weakness is the other team in all scenarios. 3/1 1 inch melee with no double reposition outside the unattainable 5th column with 5 tac? he screams please punch me I'm starting to like it. Upside is he is the most efficient player on your team. Free condition removal for mechanica, tooled up, heroic for a free sprint/charge on mechanica models, heck even longbomb for the surprise snapshot goals from way downtown where he belongs. Giving him 1 inf for tooled up or 4 for blast earths with Ballista (or pin vice, doesn't matter) isn't even that bad an idea, especially on turn 1. Just don't let the opponent touch him without your consent and he'll fix your team right up.
Good into: Playing the game // Risky into: poor positioning.

Compound
Compounds greatest strength is being really hard to touch for your opponent. A lot of good ranged control effects require direct targetting, meaning gluttunous mass protects the counter charge aura from being turned off without a model physically blocking him. This is great for a guild like engineers who are capable of sitting back and abusing the countercharge aura to force the opponent to commit poorly while throwing ranged character plays at will. He is even great when the brawl starts as any model trying to escape him risks a knockdown unless they buy two attacks to knockdown/push/dodge away. He doesn die easily to a concentrated effort, so don't overextend him into a setup beater without a safety net. Memory is his worst foe due to dodging, but not unplayable into.
Good into: Playing around him // Risky into: poor positioning/brainpan and memory

Ballista

Our very first captain. He likes a defensive game with ranged character plays and area denial. He's quite tanky, but will surely die to dedicated beaters. With some setup - a Singled Out or a few Ganging Ups, maybe Tooled Up - he can put a dent in most players. Just be sure he won't get isolated from the rest of the team. His legendary is a free goal if played well, or a few KDs if needed. Or both.

Good into: slow teams; footballing teams, Thresher // Risky into: fast aggressive beatsticks (Butchers)

Pin Vice

The more ball inclined captain. With 5+ DEF, Close Control and a great counter attack, she's a great ball carrier. Her ultimate lets her score goals from unexpected angles. Controller is also a nice addition - you can score from even more unexpected places, although these goals are not going to be cheap ones. On the other hand, PV is quite a beatstick. With a free charge from Overclocked and Tooled Up (and Deletion if needed) you can kill a lot of players in one activation. If she's not going to contribute to the game herself, you can always spend her influence to boost her team. +1 DMG with a free Bonus Time! and +2"/+2" MOV can go a a long way towards a goal or a kill.

Good into: low DEF; slow teams // Risky into: Fishermen, Engineers, having the ball killed

oVelocity

From time to time I have an idea for a team composition which does not include Velocity. This is wrong. Velocity is hard to kill (6+ DEF with Reanimate and a decent counter attack), quite fast (up to 8"/10" MOV with Acrobatic) and a great goal scorer (4/8" KICK). Each time you leave your garage, make sure you got Velocity with you.

Good into: scoring goals // Risky into: no, not really

vVelocity

Let me rephrase that. Each time you leave your garage, make sure you got the right Velocity with you. Veteran version of the mannequin lost Reanimate and switched to 4+/1 from 5+/0 (6+/0 if Nimble). It also lost 2" KICK. Smashed Shins are nice, so is Unpredictable Movement or Goal Defence. It may look good on paper, but there are always better choices. Like oVelocity.

Good into: Chisel, Fangtooth, Anvil, Stave, Seenah // Risky into: Dear SFG, please consider a buff. Sincerely yours.

Locus

The big robot is an underrated pick for an Engineers' team. I find him situational. A push from a safe distance is nice when I need to stop a charge from Thresher or Katalyst. Also, Hoist lets me do it twice. 3+/2 in cover means it's hard to strip the ball off him. You cannot overestimate momentous KD on first column. Pair that with Stoic and you've got yourself a nice counter attack machine. Also, you can kick a ball from afar, which is nice.

Good into: Thresher, Alchemists, strikers // Risky into: most things really, you have to know your way if you want to play well

Colossus

Another situatonal pick. Makes it easier to control a scrum. Another good place to hide the ball. Colossus is fast and resilient, he can lead the way if you need to engage your enemy. Considering his easy access to Singled Out and KDs, his role is to mark a target for Hoist or one of the captains to kill. He usually operates far up the pitch, so he can even score an occasional goal. But don't count on him doing any heavy lifting himself.

Good into: footballing teams; Unpredictable Movement; 1" melee // Risky into: dedicated beatsticks; character plays

Updated this now - you'll notice I've left out stuff that wasn't about the model in question, but about how another model is better ;)

2 hours ago, Mako said:

Updated this now - you'll notice I've left out stuff that wasn't about the model in question, but about how another model is better ;)

Yeah, I know. I saw it coming ;)

Salvo - The second striker, highly mobile with a good kick range and the ability to retrieve loose balls from some distance away. Lock and Loaded Heroic enables character plays for free so can be confusing for your opponent as you can give him minimal influence and still get things done. He is also an excellent beneficiary of Mechanical Heart, giving you a fast moving Mechanica that can suddenly became a goal threat (via Controller and Alternator) when your opponent wasn't expecting it.

Good Into - Ball Killing Teams, Bad Into - Teams that can hunt him down