Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Rob

Newbie questions

Not sure if this is the right place, but whilst I have had Guild ball for a while I am only now starting to play properly so am basically still a Rookie. I was playing with the Kick off set with a friend yesterday and two questions were raised.

1. Parting blow says you get a +2 tac is this interpreted as a +2 to you normal Tac as it seems to read or is it just 2 tac. my mate thinks that a +2 tac with no crowding out is stupid super shot, when a parting blow is just an opportunity hit especially if there are other opposing players around. if I have interpreted this correctly as +2 tac to your base tac what is the explanation for this. Or how do I explain it to him? 

2. Has Mallet been nurffed since the KO box as he seems rather awesome player.

Apologies if these have been asked before.

You’ve definitely come to the right place!

Parting blows are indeed +2 on top of your base TAC, but you can only choose damage, knock down or tackle results and don’t get momentum from them. 

The safest way to escape from someone is to attack them and choose dodge :D: or push :P: type results to move you out of their melee range (repositions like that don’t suffer parting blows).

Mallet... I don’t know of any errata, but the latest masons (and brewers) cards are available for free here:

http://steamforged.com/resources/

(You need to scroll a fair way down, but all the guild’s cards are in PDFs down there)

Thanks for the reply, I thought this was right on the tac and I understood about the non momentum etc. And tried explaining this but I guess it was the fact that it was the situation that guy doing the parting blow was surrounded by 2 other opposing players and yet still had 7 tac with the parting blow which seemed rather high to my friend who is an experienced gamer. I just couldn't figure out the right way to explain why this could be correct. 

Yeah, it’s one of those weird things that’s a bit of an abstraction, but I guess it’s a bad plan to turn your back on someone no matter how busy the brawl is :D 

Of course, if he’s got several models crowding you out, they do make a standard bought attack more effective so he’s more likely to get away that way. 

I usually have to look the rule up to check, because I only see one every couple of games. They’re pretty vicious, especially if they’ve got a low :KD: like quite a few brewers!

edit: which doesn’t really help you explain it, I realise! But yeah... the rules do not incentivise taking parting blows in most circumstances!

5 hours ago, Mako said:

Of course, if he’s got several models crowding you out, they do make the attack more effective so he’s more likely to get away that way. 

The rules say that A model making a Parting Blow does not receive the Ganging Up or Crowding Out modifiers.

But yes, taking parting blows is generally bad, but there are situations where you might want to try it. Getting a model into goal range to score might be one such situation, at least if the model giving the parting blow has no low :T: or :KD: so all you risk are is a bit of damage for 4 VP.

1 hour ago, Jotnebane said:

The rules say that A model making a Parting Blow does not receive the Ganging Up or Crowding Out modifiers.

But yes, taking parting blows is generally bad, but there are situations where you might want to try it. Getting a model into goal range to score might be one such situation, at least if the model giving the parting blow has no low :T: or :KD: so all you risk are is a bit of damage for 4 VP.

I was referring to an actual bought attack like I’d suggested, not a parting blow. Should’ve made that clearer!

It's getting to know the way the game plays I guess and utilising players more effectively. But that comes with practice I guess :-)

I am loving the game. I just need to find more players near me in Bedfordshire...lol

I'll chime in on the second question...

Mallet is the same as the kick off version. He certainly finds a spot on most Mason teams and is super useful with his 3" melee on his turn.  I found that he's not crazy over powered though... just a useful member of the team for sure. The Kick Off box 6 is still a solid team by itself into tournament situations. The second box of 6 has some useful tools to tweak things a bit, including another solid captain that plays a bit differently than Honour.

Cheers!

100% agree with Malritch about Mallet/the Masons, I think the same can be said of the Brewers' side in the Kick-off! box.  I've never assembled a 10-player roster for a tournament that didn't include five of the six of them.  Stave is the one that sometimes you might leave at home...even still, five for six is pretty darn good!