Sign in to follow this  
Beric

Which Kat?

I have played a few games with the Midas box and yesterday I got the rest of the team. I think I understand the role of every player, except for vetKat. I think both Katalyst versions are interesting, but I feel that the original is a bit better. And what I really fail to understand is how they could perform different in the field. Without having played vetKat yet, I have the feeling that both are intenchangeable. Against which teams/strategys do you use one or the other?

I'm just starting out with Midas 6 (so far have been dropping Mercury for Mist because I like scoring goals). I've been scratching my head over the Kats as well. I think they are totally different pieces with totally different risk/reward balances.

For me, the utility of oKat has been his very easy KD, T, and pushes to get the ball and break up scrums. With bonus time he can pass. Using him to get Vitriol's dodge T1 is nice too. He is not a heavy damage dealer, but he is reliable and a very solid striker support. He'll go in and do something useful against pretty much any model, but probably nothing too spectacular.

What I can make out so far is that vKat is dependent on his target suffering conditions in order to get high damage output (and get a Witness Me takeout), and he can't deal out conditions himself. So you'd want to play him in a lineup with plenty of condition dealers and AOE throwers, and probably Smoke to duplicate and shift them around to make sure everyone is burning/poisoned. Tough hide will neuter vKat, and he's going to struggle against models that can clear conditions for free. With KD and T on columns 4-5 and abysmal kick stats he doesn't perform the support role that oKat does. His terrible defense also means you need to be wary of your opponent farming him and bouncing strikers off him - you need to pick his targets carefully, but if the setup is in place he's going to delete a model for 4VP (and give away 2VP).

Yes, I get what you say, but my question was more about against which team is usefult to get vetKat. I was thinking on using him against heavy beating teams, when you cannot get so much into the fight. So instead of 2+2, I can focus my attacks on 1 players and get the 12 points with 2+1 and Witness me!. Anybody agrees?

vKat is just too good, Witness Me! has won me countless games. It's good against any team, you just have to play him differently versus some teams. Fighting teams will just eat him, so hold him back. Even Corsair can mess him up good. I find he can be sent into a brawl, but it hinders him late game if he can't get out and he is a huge target for your opponents. It is often better to have him as a threat, try and score your 2 goals while you whittle his victim(s) down and then send him in as the finisher to win the game for you.

The great thing about VKat is that he's a threat without even putting influence on him. 

With a few exceptions, most teams MUST take him into consideration nad will have to play around him to a certain extent. He's a scary piece that you can use just to threaten and bully, even if you don't have the chance to use him to his full effect. And, yeah, Witness Me! is also very awesome. He's a good finishing piece, like Seenah in the hunters. 

I think they both are great, I wish we could have them both on the field together. Okat is a great brawler, and with 3+ / 1 plus his life pool he can take a beating even without tough hide, he's great for KD, pusing people around and for momemtum.

Vkat is a big damage threat and won me many games because of his burst. He can be easily controlled tho if your opponent is smart

vKat is very much a finisher, an assassin - he needs to wait for the right moment to strike. He works best with Smoke in a control game, when you can use your AoEs and pushes to get a target set up for him to take down. Don't send him into combat until you know he is going to get points/Witness Me! off, or he risks handing your opponent a lot of MP and you losing control of him (due to engagement, KD, etc). I'd consider playing him in any game where I am playing Smoke and intending to kill someone, so Masons for a start, probably Butchers too. Tough Hide is his enemy though.

oKat is your brawler who GIVES you control in a Midas team - the :KD:, pushes, fire and speed help him to keep your goal scorers free to make shots (plus giving Vitriol her 2" dodge). He can take a beating, generate you MP, and even score himself (high speed and supporting strikers means I've found him close enough a few times). I'd consider him against Brewers (:KD:, burning and pushed 4+" away is nasty on a slow team), maybe Fish.