Sign in to follow this  
Inuakki

New player looking for team choice advice

Hello mates,

I want to start Guild Ball. I watched severel games on YT and also did a demo with the Masons and Brewers.

Now I am not sure which team I should buy.

In Blood Bowl I played Dark Elves and Necros (which is my favorite team)

So I am looking for a balanced team which can score and also kick some ass.

Till now I really like the Farmers and Fishermen. Also the Hunters are nice in their theme (traps :D)

Maybe you have a tip which team I should try :)

Thanks

PS.: hope this is the right forum for that question

I always think the best advice you can give is to play the team you like the look of the most. Most teams are competitive in the current meta so I'll let others chime in with their opinions on which teams are most balanced between scoring and take outs.

The Fishermen were my first team - they are pretty simple to pick up and learn, but they do tend to lean more to the goal scoring and less on the ass-kicking side. I didn't have a ton of experience with other mini-wargaming though, so they were a good hook into the game (pun intended).

I've been dabbling with Farmers lately and they are tilted the other way; more ass-kicking, less goals. They require some pretty tight placing though. I haven't really been able to make them click. 

Hunters seem to be even more unforgiving for new players though... play at your our risk. ;)

Just pick whatever you'd like and play that! In my opinion, there's enough balance in the game that you can always have enough fun playing what you like over playing whatever the internet just says it's the strongest.

I agree with @skcpae on Farmers, Fish, and Hunter. Hunters were a very steep learning curve for me as I had no previous experience with any miniature games. One of the better balanced between goal scoring and combat.... are the Masons for sure. I've been running them for a few months and they offer a nice versatility.

Masons can score and/or hit hard. I've found their flexibility very forgiving, which is a real bonus for a new player (like me).

I started with the kick off box (highly recommend this as your first purchase unless you are willing to drop at least £100 on a metal team of 6, tokens, widgets, pitch mat etc. to get started). I played a few games with brewers and lost horrendously. Switched to Masons (+Mist and sometimes Lucky) and started winning games immediately. I found the Masons kick off 6 so much easier to get my head around than the brewers kick off 6. I'm going to go back and revisit my brewers (and probably fill out the roster) now that I understand the game better.

Blacksmiths also seem to offer good options for both scoring and violence. Also cool minis.

Agreed on Masons or Blacksmiths. Masons are more forgiving and picking up Kick Off is a cheaper way of getting into the game so price point is better for Masons. Blacksmiths are a little more interaction dependant between the players but probably do a better balancing act than Masons overall but their complexity (in relation to Masons) may be a turn off.

Of the 3 you described: Hunters are a bit tricky to use and Fish are a scoring team. Farmers can be a scoring/beating team. They're also one of the least inexspensive guilds to get because plastic. They've got 2 strikers (scorers) in Bushel and Jackstraw, as well as several good beaters.

Don't go with one you like the look of, unless you are primarily a painter/modeller, as they may not play in the style you want. I prefer scoring goals, but would like to be capable in a fight, and have found the Farmers and Hunters struggle to score goals due to the lack of a decent striker - they can do it, but it requires dominating the centre of the pitch and controlling the ball so the opponent can't get ahead of you by scoring themselves. Fish can bang in the goals from every angle with Shark, but need to switch captain and line up to go killy, which drops off their goal scoring a bit. I don't play them, but if you are ok with deciding a path (goals or kills) at the beginning of the match and sticking to it, they are probably a good fit, competitive too.

I'll definitely add a vote for Masons though - they are capable of both scoring and hitting in the same team, especially with Hammer (love Hammer). Mist and Chisel add some ball retrieval to help Flint out (but Mist is only an option until the Mason's minor Guild comes out - some time in the next 2-3 years - so not worth investing in him unless you go for Union as another team). As everyone has said, Kick Off is great as a Masons starter - cheaper than the metal box, with tokens, a board and a spare team for demoing/selling on/gifting to a friend to entice them in.

Union are also an option, as they are very flexible in how you build your team. 3 Captains - 1 to kill, 1 to score, 1 who can do both - and the largest selection of squaddies (and soon mascots) in the game make it so you can build them to play how you want to play.