Sign in to follow this  
Mako

Butchers Player Summaries

Butchers! Following on from the success of this effort with my guinea pigs (the Morticians), I'd like to expand the player summaries project - and you're in wave one :)

If you use one of the models listed and think something should be added or changed, post your thoughts. Think of it like a wiki, so if you add your thoughts below I'll compile things into this first post. You don't have to do all the models, if there's only one you think is missing something then feel free to just post that one. This is about what uses people have for the models, so if you don't use or like a model then please just ignore that one and post about others instead. If you need any ideas of the kind of thing we're looking for, take a quick glance at the Mortician one. Lets hear those ideas!

Fillet (C) –

Fast and able to hunt down most models in the game. With a little setup (such as Tooled Up), able to put out extremely high levels of damage. Also has decent scoring potential, for opportunistic goals. Choose targets carefully to avoid KD, << or >> counter attacks.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Morticians, resilient Guilds (Brewers, Farmers)

Ox (C) –

A combination of support captain and solo damage dealer. Auras and plays make any butcher a serious threat, even if Ox isn’t in combat himself. A well timed early legendary can skew whole turns towards Butchers. Wants a scrum, and is better at dealing with ARM than DEF.

Good into: Low DEF, High ARM (Blacksmiths, Brewers) // Risky into: Control teams (Morticians, Alchemists)

Princess (M) –

Good into: ?? // Risky into: ??

Truffles (M) –

Boiler –

Brisket –

Veteran Brisket –

Shank –

The guild’s versatile troubleshooter. Flexible enough to do most things, but will only really achieve one a turn so prioritise carefully. Provides opportunistic goal potential, but also serves as a good ball retriever/killer able to get into even slippery guilds to do it. Somewhat fragile so best kept out of scrums.

Good into: Mobile teams (Fishermen, Alchemists) // Risky into: Takeout focussed Guilds (Butchers, Brewers)

Boar –

A wrecking ball, putting out huge damage for little Inf. Concussion can wreak havoc on opposition plans, particularly low DEF ones. Use carefully as can be quite easily shut down/controlled and taken out if isolated.

Good into: low DEF Guilds (Brewers, Blacksmiths) // Risky into: Control teams (Morticians, Alchemists)

Meathook –

A support piece, able to achieve a lot with little Inf. Provides useful DEF reduction with a decent threat range and has solid enough Kick stats to serve as an opportunist striker. Tooled Up makes butchers far more dangerous. Can set up takeouts or cripple goal threats with her Heroic Play.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Mobile teams (Alchemists, Fishermen)

Tenderiser –

Veteran Ox –

2 hours ago, Mako said:

Fillet (C) – Fast Captain that can hunt down almost anyone in the game. With tooled up, one of the most lethal characters that can be fielded. Also, can score with decent efficiency even as a butcher. 

Good into: Models with limited counter options (double push/ dodge or push dodge) // Risky into: Easy KD, Tough hide high HP models, Unpredictable, obulus level of control.  

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Mako said:

Ox (C) – The ultimate "support captain" who now does a fair bit on his own. Makes any butcher a massive threat and can have an impactful turn with his character plays even if he can't make combat himself. Use of his legendary play is crucial to getting the most out of him: use it early, stack him up and choose a suitable target, with luck or good planning you'll get a take out and be able to pass out a Butchery or two to support the rest of the team for the rest of the turn.

Good into: Low DEF teams, high ARM, slower teams - he want's a scrum and has more tools for dealing with ARM than DEF // Risky into: Fast teams (he struggles to catch them and Fillet is so much better against them), Control teams (low DEF can make Ox an easy target and can seriously hamper his relevance in the game, and without him having an effect his team struggles to score TOs fast enough)

19 hours ago, Mako said:

Meathook – A powerful support piece who is good with both captains. Can potentially put out a lot of effect from only one INF (3 hits gets you 2 damage, a push, -1 DEF, bleed and a MP!). DEF reduction is very useful and she has a decent threat range and solid kick stats. Her heroic play is also excellent, especially vs teams that want to get away. Plus tooled up is always useful, but especially so in Butchers.

Good into: Most teams - She's as tough as any squaddie the butchers have and adds so much to any team // Risky into: Slippery/mobile teams can really limit her impact when you use her to set someone up for a TO but the target escapes (although her heroic play can help here). She's not bad into these teams, but not as good as into most others.

19 hours ago, Mako said:

Shank – A highly mobile versatile troubleshooter. With 2/3 INF he can't do much, but if you only need him to do one thing, he can usually do whatever it is you want him to do. He can get practically anywhere on the pitch and with the right support deal a decent amount of damage, he's also good for retrieving or killing the ball, or scoring a cheeky opportunistic goal.

Good into: Slippery/Mobile teams - with his high mobility he makes it difficult for them to keep models or the ball safe // Risky into: other hitty teams, especially ones with good access to 2" melee zones - he's a bit light at DEF 4 ARM 0 and only 14hp.

19 hours ago, Mako said:

Boar – An efficient wrecking ball of a player, capable of churning out massive damage for very small investment, but easily controlled and a bit of a soft target. Concussion is also a key ability against the right target.

Good into: Teams with low DEF efficient targets who you can strip INF off easily with concussion, teams with limited control options. Blacksmiths are a particular favourite as he has a good shout at taking out the softer apprentices in a single activation with just a single damage buff // Risky into: Control teams and teams with plays like Scything blow. Naja is a strong counter to him

16 hours ago, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

Fillet (C) – Fast Captain that can hunt down almost anyone in the game. With tooled up, one of the most lethal characters that can be fielded. Also, can score with decent efficiency even as a butcher. 

Good into: Models with limited counter options (double push/ dodge or push dodge) // Risky into: Easy KD, Tough hide high HP models, Unpredictable, obulus level of control.  

I'm not sure I'd say Fillet was bad into control, and is certainly a much better option than Ox. At DEF 5 and the ability to go to DEF 6 she's probably one of the safest models against control effects in the game.

Edited by malladin.ben
added some extra thoughts to Meathook re warpstoned's suggestions

I would like to add Meathooks heroic play to her repertoire. I feel -4 move is super valuable and both good for setups for a take out or to shave off 4" of goal threat making her useful into mobile teams as well. Tooled up plays really well into both captains playstyles as well. 

Meathook is love.

50 minutes ago, Warpstoned said:

I would like to add Meathooks heroic play to her repertoire. I feel -4 move is super valuable and both good for setups for a take out or to shave off 4" of goal threat making her useful into mobile teams as well. Tooled up plays really well into both captains playstyles as well. 

Meathook is love.

updated. Ironically, I usually forget about her heroic play on the tabletop too.

3 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

updated. Ironically, I usually forget about her heroic play on the tabletop too.

Haha, no worries mate. A lot of opponents do as well :D 

She basically has gut and string with 1 damage and bleed on 1 hit, on top of the bleed "tooling up" herself and fillet as well. It is "ok"

2 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

I'm not sure I'd say Fillet was bad into control, and is certainly a much better option than Ox. At DEF 5 and the ability to go to DEF 6 she's probably one of the safest models against control effects in the game.

I only mention obulus because having fillet move 7 inches from good targets is a terrible feeling. I do agree she is fairly safe but 4 dice on odds of 5+ are decent.

Thanks for the input all, that's those updated :)

Obviously, it's an ongoing thing so if you have any new thoughts post them up. Also, if there's a specific guild you take a model into (or avoid), let me know - that helps newer players who may not know which guilds are the control ones, which are the goal focussed ones etc. 

We're still missing a few models, if anyone has any thoughts on Princess, Truffles, Boiler, Brisket (and vBrisket), Tenderiser and veteran Ox please speak up!

I only started playing late last year so I'm no expert but I can give my take on the mascots to keep the ball rolling.

Princess (M) – The more popular and good all around mascot, she can usually be found hanging out with Boiler to turn him into a murder machine.  When not helping out Boiler she is effective at blocking charge lanes and tying up models since most players won't want to trigger Loved Creature to give your team an even higher TAC.

Truffles (M) – A bit on the slow side, Truffles can be fairly good at getting in the way.  With better survivability than most squaddies opposing players won't want to bother damaging him and with a reasonable chance to hit a knockdown they may not want to risk a parting blow or counter attack unless they have steady.

Good into: Fighting teams(Butchers, Brewers, Farmers) // Risky into: Mobile teams (Alchemists, Fishermen), non-human teams(Engineers)