Sign in to follow this  
Mako

Brewers Player Summaries

Brewers! Following on from the success of this effort with my guinea pigs (the Morticians), I'd like to expand the player summaries project - and you're in wave one :)

If you use one of the models listed and think something should be added or changed, post your thoughts. Think of it like a wiki, so if you add your thoughts below I'll compile things into this first post. You don't have to do all the models, if there's only one you think is missing something then feel free to just post that one. This is about what uses people have for the models, so if you don't use or like a model then please just ignore that one and post about others instead. If you need any ideas of the kind of thing we're looking for, take a quick glance at the Mortician one. Lets hear those ideas(for uses, not for changes to model ;) )!

Esters(C) –

A solid defensive support model, and a good Inf battery.

Good into: Condition heavy teams (Alchemists) // Risky into: Fast teams (Engineers, Fishermen, Morticians)

Tapper (C) –

Front line offensive support model that amplifies the team’s damage. Inf efficient and flexible.

Good into: Guilds with a lot of 1" Melee (Engineers, Brewers, Masons // Risky into: Ranged control, Armour (Hunters, Engineers)

Scum (M) –

Able to deal damage, threaten goals and kill the ball. Hard to pin down because of Unpredictable movement and Shadow Like.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Guilds with a lot of 2" melee

Quaff (M) –

Provides support options for little/no inf.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: High ARM (Blacksmiths, Masons)

Friday –

An excellent striker with a long goal threat, able to score difficult goals and snap shots. The guild can buff her to a six dice 11” kick, but she ideally needs others to generate momentum for her goal runs. Can adapt to doing damage or support (via DEF-reducing Dirty Knives) when needed. Hard to pin down or stop because of Shadowlike.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Armour, 2" melee, precision killers (Fillet Butchers, Engineers, Hunters)

Hooper –

With a little set up becomes a very dangerous combat damage dealer.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Ranged Control (Hunters, Engineers)

Lucky –

Good into: ?? // Risky into: ??

Mash –

A good ball holder.

Good into: Goal focussed teams // Risky into: ??

Pintpot –

An efficient brawler.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: ARM, ranged control (Hunters, Engineers)

Spigot –

An enabling model, the toolbox for the guild. Can speed up models, grant Tooled Up for increased damage, or buff nearby kicks. Excellent low-column playbook, and bonuses against Knocked Down models, round off this jack of all trades. Relatively easy to kill, so best kept protected.

Good into: ?? // Risky into: Precision kill teams (Morticians, Fillet Butchers)

Stave –

Has one of the strongest ranged character plays in the game, provides strong ranged control especially against clumped opponents. 

Good into: low DEF guilds, scrum guilds (Brewers, Farmers) // Risky into: ??

Stoker –

Built in condition removal and ranged damage with a solid all rounder stat line. 

Good into: Alchemists // Risky into: Control guilds (Morticians), fast guilds (Fishermen)

vSpigot –

A good striker.

Good into: slower/control guilds (Morticians)// Risky into: 2" heavy Guilds, single target killers (Fillet/Scalpel)

vDecimate - 

Potent damage dealer with very high push/reposition ability, able to eliminate models or drive them off the pitch from the wings. 

Good into: high ARM (Blacksmiths, Masons, Engineers), Scrum guilds (Brewers) // Risky into: Ranged Control (Morticians)

Spigot

Probably the team MVP, Spigs has an amazing heroic play in "Time's Called!" that speeds up the whole rest of the squad.  He also possesses the game-changing "Tooled Up" character play and provides +1/+1" Kick to all teammates nearby.  As if that wasn't enough, he's got a momentous tackle on column 1, a non-momentous "Ball's Gone!" on 2, and gets a TAC bonus when attacking knocked-down enemies (of which there should be plenty).  Combine that with the fact that Friday is +1 DEF while nearby, and it's easy to see why he's the backbone of many, many Brewers lineups.  He's so good, in fact, that he costs his Veteran version, which is independently quite good, a lot of table time.

Good into: Just about everybody // Risky into anyone who can target and eliminate him- he's not hard to kill, so he needs protection, especially given how important he is.

16 minutes ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

Good into: Just about everybody // Risky into anyone who can target and eliminate him- he's not hard to kill, so he needs protection, especially given how important he is.

regardless of this take every time no matter what!

Friday

Top-tier striker and set-up piece. Because of her native goal threat range she can be relied on for easy shots, but is also more than adept at getting difficult game-wining goals or snap shots. Her baseline KICK is 3/8'', however this is easily bumped to 6/11" with: Bonus Time!; Football Legend; and, I Shoot Better after a Beer.
With her ability to lower the DEF of enemy models (Dirty Knives), reposition Scum up to 6" (Get Over Here Scum!), and safely hold the ball (5/1 DEF with Defense Support [Spigot]) Friday is a boon to nearly every Brewer's line-up.  

Good Into: Teams that Brewer's need to lower the DEF of // Risky Into: Teams that can target, reposition, and delete a model at ease

1 hour ago, SrBongo said:

Friday

Top-tier striker and set-up piece. Because of her native goal threat range she can be relied on for easy shots, but is also more than adept at getting difficult game-wining goals or snap shots. Her baseline KICK is 3/8'', however this is easily bumped to 6/11" with: Bonus Time!; Football Legend; and, I Shoot Better after a Beer.
With her ability to lower the DEF of enemy models (Dirty Knives), reposition Scum up to 6" (Get Over Here Scum!), and safely hold the ball (5/1 DEF with Defense Support [Spigot]) Friday is a boon to nearly every Brewer's line-up.  

Good Into: Teams that Brewer's need to lower the DEF of // Risky Into: Teams that can target, reposition, and delete a model at ease

Critically, don't forget Shadowlike. In linear Goal Runs it's an extra 2"/2" MOV, but it also allows her to move into Unpredictable Movement, through Counter-Charge, and escape troubling melee zones, even while starting her turn Knocked Down, and without having to roll the dice. Shadowlike is what pushes Friday over the edge imo.

Vet Spigot - Basicly the best striker in the game, in any other team he'd be played in 80% of match ups. Shame his name is Spigot. 

I could go stupidly in depth and provide 1000+ word walls of text for each character, but as I don't have time to type it out and you probably don't have time to read it he's my TL;DR thoughts..

Esters(C) – solid defensive support, only "battery" in guild, decent selection of character play options, not Tapper 
Good into: condition heavy teams, high ARM / low Def // Risky into: "fast" teams with access to "cheap" character plays
Suggested Changes: Character Trait - "Momentous Inspiration" (this would improve the Brewers "ranged" game and offer more flexible momentum generation)

Tapper (C) – offensive front line support, hugely influence efficient, enables team to shine and allows for flexible in the fly thinking, is Tapper
Good into: Unpredictable Movement, 1" melee heavy teams,  // Risky into: ranged control (Ballista / Theron teams), High Armour.
Suggested Changes: Minor "Playbook" changes - Momentous Push replacing "Marked Target" on 1, Marked Target replacing 2 damage on 2, Momentous 2 damage replacing Momentous Push on 3

Scum (M) – best mascot in game, damage dealer, goal threat, safe option for holding the ball, Shadow Like / Unpredictable Movement is an amazing combo
Good into: everything // Risky into: 2" melee.
Suggested Changes: Heroic Play - "Sic 'Em" (probably too strong, may require reducing inf to 1/2 to balance)

Quaff (M) – support mascot, can do things for nothing
Good into: scrum brawls // Risky into: high armour, "stoic", not taking the cat
Suggested Changes: Character Trait - "Oooh... BALL!" (should also be added to Princess)

Friday – Incredibly underrated striker, can flex into damage or support if required, "Dirty Knives" is incredibly underused and can turn around a 50/50 scrum
Good into: Scoring matches, low Def stats  // Risky into: 2" melee, ranged character plays / control / high armour
Suggested Changes: none required, but since I'm wish listing - Momentous 2 damage on 3 and/or Character Trait - "Anatomical Precision"

Hooper – combat monster, requires set up / support to get most out of
Good into: conditions, 1" melee, players suffering KD // Risky into: ranged character plays / control.
Suggested Changes: 1/8" kick or "Long Bomb" (I just like the idea of Hooper hoofing the ball away as he doesn't need it)

Lucky – incredibly flexible, opens up more scoring options within the guild, wish was metal
Good into: goodie bags, hot dice // Risky into: poor decision making.
Suggested Changes: none required, (metal release via locker room would be nice for those of us with OCD about mixed material)

Mash – solid workhorse, great ability to hold the ball
Good into: 1" melee, football teams // Risky into: lure / seduce (Obulous), heavy beaters
Suggested Changes: Character Trait - "At Bat" is awesome as is "Great Wicket Keeper" (although the latter may be a little strong for regular play)

Pintpot – super efficient brawler
Good into: bears / "furious" ("Concussion" and "Come On Then!" ruins Boar and Seenahs day) // Risky into: high armour / ranged control.
Suggested Changes: none required

Spigot – incredible toolbox, enables the whole team (please don't nerf)
Good into: almost everything, excels against teams with weaker scum tactics // Risky into: 2" melee, precision murder machines (Fillet/Scalpel)

Stave – "Lob Barrel" is one of the strongest plays in the game but very high risk / reward and the rest if his card pays for it, slightly more viable now Farmers & Smiths are a thing (still a trap)
Good into: low def scrum brawls // Risky into: any team which has viable momentum farming options.
Suggested Changes: Character Trait - "Battering Ram" replacing "Ramming Speed", Something similar to "Hale & Hearty" but for dodges on Playbook results

Stoker – Incredibly versatile stat line, build in condition removal, some ranged shenanigans. 
Good into: Conditions, condition abusers (Katalyst), low Tac players // Risky into: control, mobility

vSpigot – fantastic striker on any other guild list, called "Spigot"
Good into: slower control teams, football focused teams // Risky into: 2" melee, precision murder machines (Fillet/Scalpel)
Suggested Changes: Character Trait - regains "Football Legend", Kick stat reduced to 3/8" to compensate

vDecimate – Outstanding on paper, 2" melee, easy repositions, above average damage out put in the right situation, can surf. 
Good into: armour, scrum brawls, sneaky flanking plays  // Risky into: the hype train, premature nerf calling, ranged control (lure , puppet master, drag), beater Captains.

Amber – #saveamber
Good into: hopes and dreams // Risky into: @Sherwin killing her before her time
Suggested Changes: Cross guild player from minor guild. Character Play - "Acrobatic", Character Trait - "Unpredictable Movement" and "Animosity [Esters]" 

If anyone wants a more specific rundown on a specific character, feel free to ask..

*edit*

I've added some "Suggested Changes" for further perusal, mostly just small tweaks to playbooks or character traits I feel fluff out and round out the characters as I perceive them , some I feel are required to make the character viable (see Stave) and some are just nonsensical OP wish listing (see Scum)

*edit 2*

now vDecimate has been revealed to the world and the dust has partially settled, I figured I'd update my opinion on her as well as attempting to be less cynical regarding some of my less used character options (Stave)

I've updated the top post, keep those bits of info coming in!

Remember, this isn't about what you don't like or want changed, but about what uses the community have found for models. That's what I'm compiling into the top post :)

Friday:

+ Triggering Dirty Knifes out of her playbook against lower def (or KD'ed) models is a way to debuff high defense models.

- She struggles to generate momentum on her own. She is automatic in scoring goals if you got 3 momentum in the bank but grabbing a goal with her on your first activation can become iffy. 

Could still do with some more info for a few models, and new thoughts on what to use each model for are always welcome :)

5 hours ago, Mako said:

Could still do with some more info for a few models, and new thoughts on what to use each model for are always welcome :)

I've been updating my post on the go rather than creating a new one with every random musing.. Last update I fluffed out some of the missing characters and attempted to be more positive regarding Stave.. Lucky is a tricky one to pinpoint as he is generically average by design.. 

27 minutes ago, Redmaw said:

I've been updating my post on the go rather than creating a new one with every random musing.. Last update I fluffed out some of the missing characters and attempted to be more positive regarding Stave.. Lucky is a tricky one to pinpoint as he is generically average by design.. 

Ahh, I hadn't spotted that! I get flagged whenever a new post occurs, but edits don't trigger it. I don't mind a dozen posts of random musings at all :)

I'll take another look this week and fill things out more