Sign in to follow this  
kempokid

Starting out

Hi Everyone! I'm really looking at getting started. I see that there's a kickoff set, which comes with everything needed for 2 players to get started.

Is there anything else that I need right off the bat? I see there's Season 3 cards on the website? What does that mean exactly?

(apologies if this comment should be placed elsewhere on the forum. Just trying to figure out how all this works)

Welcome aboard :)

I thought this deserved its own thread so I moved it out of the other one, but you’re definitely in the right place!

The season 3 cards are the latest updates to the models, including any errata. I don’t think much changed on the models in the kick off set though, so you don’t have to worry about it while you get started. 

The Kick Off set has everything you need to start playing straight out the box, you don’t need to buy anything else - you can just get that and start playing. You might want other things later down the line, but they’re not essential to play.

@kempokid

Kick Off Box = Everything needed to get you and a friend playing. It's got a mat, sharable widgets and dice, and 2 teams of 6 (Masons and Brewers) that are playable even at a tournament level and don't do to badly!

Download one of the Apps for the game that are out... (I recommend GB Scrum)... it has all the updated cards that have seen erratas (the season 3 card pack has a bunch of outdated stuff now). You probably wont' want to invest in the Season 3 Guild Plot Cards either... as they have just now been replaced with the Game Plan Decks... which should be available to purchase shortly. In the meantime... make yourself familiar with http://steamforged.com/resources/ ...you will find all the updated stuff there..rules, printable cards, paper dolls if you want to try other guilds, etc.

Enjoy your new obsession! I hope you have as much enjoyment as I have found over the past 6 - 8 months!!

@kempokid as above, you don't need anything else immediately. The first things I found helpful/fun were:

1. A set of straight measuring sticks, proxy bases and step markers. This really helps for measuring out goal runs etc. I got mine from red beam designs in the UK. That also reminds me, I need some melee zone markers/templates, they are very useful as well.

2. Lucky (model) - he can play for either team. For brewers that means you don't have to use Stave, who can be a bit of a liability if your opponent knows how to exploit him. For learning this probably won't be a problem. It's a limited edition model, so you might have to be patient to get a good price (you can always proxy him though

3. A proper pitch mat. The cardboard pitch in the kick off box is pretty good, but the soft mats are much nicer to use.

A point to note: you may be tempted to get some Union models to add to your teams' rosters - bear in mind that as the new minor guilds are released, Union players will no longer be legal picks (not sure how soon that will affect brewers or masons though). So you might want to avoid investing in the miniatures and use proxies instead.