Sign in to follow this  
Redtiger7

Parting Blow

When a model leaves an opposing melee zone, when do you make the attack roll: before the model is moved, when they just leave the melee zone (and you have to stop their movement) or when they finish moving (and rewind if they get KD'd)?

Just curious what people do. 

In practise we say they are leaving and work out roughly where they are going (using dummy markers if needed) then make the parting blow before moving the actual model. Unless only unimportant amounts of damage are likely to happen, in which case we may well just do it after the move has finished. Strictly from the rules the parting blow happens just after you leave the engagement, but unless things like KO or tackle might happen, it doesn't matter and working out the exact spot isn't worth the effort.

It depends of the situation, as to how I would measure the placement. If it's going to be tricky to work out, I'll use movement steppers to calculate the position of the  parting blow, if not, I'll place the model at correct location and then continue to move it afterwards. 

Mostly this depends on if the aggressor has a KD or not. I normally try to avoid taking parting blows if they do.

11 hours ago, Frostmane said:

I've kinda wondered why people use widgets in that way - why put the widget in front of the model and then lift it on it's corner where it can slip? Why not put the widget next to the mini touching the side of the base and then move the model along the widget? That way you don't need to move the widget and you can even do an accurate take-back as long as you keep the widget where it is. (Naturally so that the "starting" line of the widget touches the widest part of the base and then that same spot touches the other end at the end of the movement)

The Parting Blow happens when you leave the models engagement - hense why the parting blow. I will put steppers out where I intend to go, if a KD is involved I won't move the model until we've resolved the Parting Blow. If only damage is going to be done I'll move my model while they roll the Parting Blow to save time.

You can go a long way by just declaring your intent before moving the model. Putting down a proxy base just to help them decide if they want to parting if cover or other things are relevant helps a lot too.

But mostly, people seldom take parting blows with knockdowns anyway. In those cases I just move the model an tell them to take a parting blow if they want. 

22 hours ago, Coach Z said:

No, they are just outside melee. 

Which is a whole other question in this game of measurements: How far do you move them when they get knocked down?

16 hours ago, Redtiger7 said:

Which is a whole other question in this game of measurements: How far do you move them when they get knocked down?

You take the parting blow the exact moment you decide to leave the opposing players melee zone. So that's where they will be placed if they are KD'd on a parting blow. 

16 hours ago, Redtiger7 said:

2.1"? 2.05"? 2.000001"? I know, impossible to answer, but you know someone's out there going to complain about it.

Get your 2" widget, place it down, both agree you're happy with the placement of the model who was just KD'D, move on. I've literally never had an issue that can't be agreed upon by two adults playing toy soldiers in less then 30 seconds. 

5 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

I've literally never had an issue that can't be agreed upon by two adults playing toy soldiers in less then 30 seconds. 

I dunno - some of the issues relating to world trade can be a bit hairy and it might take even over a minute to uncork some of the more difficult unsolved mathematical problems like the Riemann Hypothesis.

;):P 

3 hours ago, Lemminkäinen said:

I dunno - some of the issues relating to world trade can be a bit hairy and it might take even over a minute to uncork some of the more difficult unsolved mathematical problems like the Riemann Hypothesis.

;):P 

Depends on what you are uncorking during the resolution process... =P