Xeth1313

Any ideas about the minor guild

So, my brother and I were talking about the minor guild for the Blacksmiths. He made a good point about the minor guild probably having another master/apprentice paring in it. That will probably be the last model's in the Blacksmiths right? Does it seem likely that they will include a veteran like the Morticians currently do? Or are we looking at two new characters that will be in the minor guild box? It is a really minor and personal hope, but I think it would be cool to get a second Master who is explicitly dark skinned like Ferris. Lots of games have a vague "there can be only one" thing going on, and it has been really cool to see a team that breaks away from that, with a limited edition sculpt no less. I don't play a lot of games but Bolt is the first explicitly dark skinned Limited Edition character model I have seen in one of my games. 

I am not sure if the Blacksmiths will get a minor guild or not. The point in the flavour for the minor guilds is that using their players is a replacement for using Union, but Blacksmiths don't use Union. 

I think it may be that we will eventually get a third box of Smiths. I would prefer this, it would hopefully contain a veteran apprentice turned fully into a master! 

6 minutes ago, Steveedoug said:

I think it may be that we will eventually get a third box of Smiths. I would prefer this, it would hopefully contain a veteran apprentice turned fully into a master! 

Master Alloy FTW.

Unfortunately that would probably make him less interesting as the masters have completely different roles.

43 minutes ago, Steveedoug said:

I am not sure if the Blacksmiths will get a minor guild or not. The point in the flavour for the minor guilds is that using their players is a replacement for using Union, but Blacksmiths don't use Union. 

It would be a great idea that some of the apprentice will be master. I really like that the third box contains three ex-apprentice, which now are masters (for example the three original apprentices, a.k.a. Iron, Sledge and Cinder), and three new apprentices :)

Having a promoted apprentice would screw things up as to field them thier master wouldn't have a corresponding apprentice, making one of their character traits useless. 

I'm guessing the Smiths will be the last getting a minor guild. Partly because they're the newest major, and partly to give SFG time to figure out how to work with the master/apprentice dynamic.

3 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Having a promoted apprentice would screw things up as to field them thier master wouldn't have a corresponding apprentice, making one of their character traits useless. 

The only Master who has a trait that mentions their apprentice is Ferrite and get over here. You can still use all the other Masters with any other apprentice. It is more apprentices that care about the master, even then not all them do so you can use those ones instead. I wouldn't always take the given master and apprentice combinations, it is fun to try other combinations. 

I've been thinking this by myself for some time too and I've reached a conclusion that it would be the easiest way to balance if the dual-guild players were all apprentices. This wouldn't screw up the team composition of having half and half since the minor guild players could just have the [apprentice] keyword and the minor guild itself wouldn't have to care about these things. Even the low influence would be easy to balance because the captain could just have higher inf stats.

*Edit

And you wouldn't even have to consider the legendaries.

I think the team composition of the Blacksmiths will probably mean that they don't get a minor guild. I can't see a reasonable way to bring in extra players without them following the master/apprentice set up, and the team needing to have 3 of each. in most cases non captain masters are stronger than a normal squaddie, and apprentices are weaker than a normal squaddie, so if you could replace an apprentice with a normal player you would almost always want to. But you would almost never want to replace a normal player with a blacksmith apprentice.

And if the minor team followed the master/apprentice rule how would it differ from just being smiths? (I'm sure there are ways)

I thought blacksmiths were getting Farriers as their minor guild?

Plus I don't think it would be fair for everyone else to get a minor guild and not blacksmiths simply because of their team composition. I mean I believe Farmers are getting a minor guild.

But I guess at the very least we will get a 3rd box (pretty much guaranteed to happen at some point)

I think a third blacksmith box (3 masters, 3 apprentices) is not fair against the other guilds. Maybe the new minor box have six new models (3 masters, 3 apprentices), and one master-apprentice pair can work for them. And the new box style maybe the weapon or armor blacksmith, so the pair, who can work with them can be the Furnace-Cinder (weapon) or Anvil-Sledge (armor) pair.

1 hour ago, Zozo said:

I think a third blacksmith box (3 masters, 3 apprentices) is not fair against the other guilds. Maybe the new minor box have six new models (3 masters, 3 apprentices), and one master-apprentice pair can work for them. And the new box style maybe the weapon or armor blacksmith, so the pair, who can work with them can be the Furnace-Cinder (weapon) or Anvil-Sledge (armor) pair.

When everyone just wants either Ferrite/Iron or Hearth/Alloy as the crossover models.

I don't think any team apart from Union will get a 3rd box and I think the Unions third box was only so SFG could put the last of the union models that were in blisters in a 6 man box. Now as it stands every team come in 2, 2 man boxes and Union comes in 3. 

Minor guilds are the way of expanding currently major league guilds, once we have all the major and minor guilds that's when the decision will come with the designers as what they do to keep guilds getting something new and fresh. 

Every Guild is getting a minor guild. This has been stated by SFG already. Blacksmiths I wouldn't expect for a while however. 

2 hours ago, Jotnebane said:

When everyone just wants either Ferrite/Iron or Hearth/Alloy as the crossover models.

I think everybody is looking forward to it :D But I think the Burnace/Cinder or Sledge/Anvil pairs would be funny (and fluffy btw) too :)

I'd like to see Anvil / Sledge in the minor as they seem to be the first pair to drop out what I've read from the forums and Anvil is such a cool model. 

6 minutes ago, Furnace said:

I'd like to see Anvil / Sledge in the minor as they seem to be the first pair to drop out what I've read from the forums and Anvil is such a cool model. 

Exactly!!!

Purely based on chatter on Ratcatchers in the video it looks like SFG's plan for the minors is to make them a mirror of their majors. So Morts are becoming more brawly with the loss of Union, and Ratcatchers more scorey, but both with the sort of kooky abilities we expect from Morts. So I would expect Blacksmiths minor to be more punchy and less scorey than the BSs, while still having armour (or armour like abilities) and being Master/Apprentice based.

The OPD makes it clear that BS will get a Minor guild. My guess is they will be Farriers or some such, but be based around hurting the opponent and maybe reducing their armour rather than clanking around in high ARM. Who knows. Maybe it'll be a guild of mounted models and the internet will lose its shit.

My hope is a different version of the Master/Apprentice mechanic to allow for easier player crossovers - some sort of Watch or Warriors Guild with Knights and Squires?

33 minutes ago, Alphadork said:

My hope is a different version of the Master/Apprentice mechanic to allow for easier player crossovers - some sort of Watch or Warriors Guild with Knights and Squires?

OMG sign me up for that!

Farriers indeed sound a lot more logical than warriors guild (what, the army?) plus Farris and Bolt would fit in very nicely.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:02 AM, Rugi said:

Farriers indeed sound a lot more logical than warriors guild (what, the army?) plus Farris and Bolt would fit in very nicely.

I'm not a expert on fluff but I vaguely recall the entire guild structure and the reason these people play guild ball is because there was this giant war and the various nation's we're all attritioning each other into oblivion. (Also the blacksmiths guild retained a ton of power and influence I'm during this time cause they were making weapons)

In the aftermath the guilds were able to consolidate power and basically wage a proxy war on the pitch. All this is to say I'm not sure they have a warriors guild exactly in the fluff.  I would expect like a pugilist guild or some specific fighting style to be possible. But I think blacksmiths is the closest we'll get to a guild or armed and armored soilders. 

I think there are Watchmen - but whether they will have a minor Guild is unlikely. Professional soldiers aren't really a good fit for a Guild concept, so more likely a Bodyguard Guild or Armourer Guild or Fencer Guild is the closest in Guild concept. I suspect the Farriers makes sense - horses = power until the Engineers came along, so they may well have been relegated to Minor Guild status and looking to get back at the hated Engineers for replacing them.

This has got to be an opportunity to get the Guards from Discworld involved. So many brilliant characters in there that would be a shoe-in into this universe B).

Vetinari = control: or is he already here in the form of Obulus?

I will leave the rest to you.:)

I just bought the whole Blacksmiths roster at Salute, so I'm late to the party a bit, but I would like to see where they go with the minor guilds.

The new Navigators story mentions the Lawkeepers... now I imagine they would be a good pair for the Blacksmiths. You could maintain the Master and Apprentice by having Sergeants and Constables! :P