Mako

The Casual Mortician

(that's a Mortician in chinos and a short sleeved shirt)

Recently, I’ve managed to get myself organised enough to start playing again. Just in time for the snow, it turns out…

My local pundit @Secondbreky has been gently easing me back into the game, so last week saw my Morticians face the Masons over vassal. My team was picked mostly by what I’ve painted and what I liked the look of, so it’s probably not tournament optimised, but that works out well as I’m definitely not interested in competitive play, I’d rather relax and have a laugh.

Which meant against the Masons starter six I took Scalpel, Dirge, Bonesaw, Brainpan/Memory, Ghast and Cosset.

It was a week ago so the details are fuzzy, but bonesaw and memory made a great right flank goal run which succeeded despite memory fluffing the pass back for Dervish, Cosset (with dirge setting up) took out Harmony, and scalpel (out on the left wing) scored too. Unfortunately, the masons also got two goals and claimed their takeouts from the obvious targets – Cosset and Brainpan, giving them the win 12-10.

This week, I took the same team into his Smoke alchemists, which was an education! Smoke took a first turn goal, and it was late turn two before I could sling Bonesaw up the centre (using Scalpel for dervish) to equalise. Then it became a bit of a brawl. Cosset, Memory and Dirge left Venin Singled Out, Screeching Banshee-d, and crowded out (but that left them and brainpan getting pounded with conditions), so Scalpel could farm some momentum to finish him off at the start of turn 3. She then killed Venin, gave Cosset Reanimate, charged Calculus, tackled the ball and scored to finish up a 6 point activation. Cosset of course died to condition damage at the end of that turn but was saved by reanimate (going from one health to three as a bonus), Memory died to fiery explosions, and Brainpan was barely alive. Bonesaw went down under another onslaught, making it 10-8 to me with no real chance of a takeout before brainpan died, and then it was a race to the final 2 points for both of us. Which I didn’t think I’d win with my fragile Morticians.

The end was a bit scrappy as we realised partway through the last turn that Katalyst had been Knocked Down when he charged (token got lost in the piles of things on the board), so some momentum use needed reassigning which then meant bonesaw could punt the ball up near Scalpel, waiting for her to stand up (she was Knocked Down as well… there was a lot of it about). In the end it came down to her going for a tap in and winning it with a Screamer (her second Screamer of the match), but it was really anyone’s guess at that point as we’d had to do some rewinding!

I think the weaker links in my setup at the moment are Ghast (whose :momKD: and unmasking did do some good, but the :momGBGB: wasn’t hugely reliable) and Cosset (who did much better in game one than game two, but in the end was a 2VP for 2VP trade). Between them and Dirge they aren't quite enough to run a decent takeout game, and Scalpel is usually off scoring goals so doesn't often help!

I might try ditching Ghast for Casket next time, see if I can use Cosset and Scalpel to set up a Casket time while he slows down the incoming enemy to keep my squishier players alive a little longer. He is painted, so I can use him. The other option would be silence, but I was tired of him fluffing Tucked and Shut Out rolls from last year :D

But they were fun, close games and that's pretty much all I care about - my threshold for doing well is scoring 2VP, so Bonesaw's consistent goals (and Scalpel's for that matter) have keeping me well above that line!

I might be wrong here, but when Scalpel gives a model reanimate that is a sustained effect which is removed in the end phase and condition damage happens in the maintenance phase. 

And as the phases are 1 - initiative, 2 - maintenance, 3 - action, 4 - end phase, then reanimate should have been removed before condition damage and Cosset should have died to condition damage.

Hm... quite true! So she'd have died then, instead of one activation later to being punched in the face :D

10 minutes ago, Jotnebane said:

At least you got momentum for the take-out the next turn. ;)

Yeah, if anything having her live just meant one extra corpse under the pile of burning and poison AoEs and one extra mom for the pundit :D

Last night I tried out swapping Ghast for Casket with our first game using the new gameplan cards. Unfortunately, I ended up facing tapper brewers, so a team of entirely 1” melee that was meant to claim some takeouts was a terrible plan :D 

Bonesaw did his usual long range goal, using Memory as a bounce point, but I spent a lot of the game with two players off the pitch before they activated because a single brewer could easily delete parts of my team, especially after tapper had gone. Also meant I was about 4-5 momentum behind every turn, so with my best gameplan card being +5 I wasn’t winning initiative any time soon! Lost 12-4, so I still got over my success threshold though ;)

First time I’ve faced Brewers though, and the first time I’ve felt like my models were truly outclassed. A lot of that came down to me just having picked the wrong team I think - Casket couldn’t use Casket Time when it was proving difficult to get even Friday down to low enough health, Dirge and Cosset weren’t able to get a decent target to pick on either, Memory could easily have spent the game KD if my opponent hadn’t been kind and killed him to farm MP...

Ghast would have been better for splitting up the scrum and provided a 2” melee, Having someone like Graves for another 2” melee could’ve been useful, as could Silence’s fire or shutout, and Vileswarm’s exploding death and cheap charges would’ve done more than I managed with Dirge :P

But of course I don’t have all of those painted yet. Graves is primed though, which might make him an option soon. So in retrospect, I might’ve gone with Scalpel, Dirge, Bonesaw, Ghast, Cosset, Silence or oGraves . Scalpel and Bonesaw are capable of handling goal runs perfectly as a pair, while the others should be better able to break up/slow down the brewers murder pack or drain health levels to where my Cosset can actually kill someone with average dice, and not spiking dice and 2-3 activations of pure setup. She might get dropped for Skulk when he’s painted though, as then I can try and ignore killing entirely in favour of stopping Friday scoring and playing keep-away. Making the last two Silence and Skulk, instead of Cosset and oGraves. 

Ah well, on to next week’s game!

edit: oh, and having a gameplan card give every one of my models showboating meant bonesaw’s goal run was really cheap - still got to pay one for the dervish pass back, and the goal kick, but that’s covered by the successful passing so it basically breaks even. Good times :) 

Silence is devastating to a Tapper led team. Shutting him out nullifies a lot of his tool kit. Graves is a great well round as well with 2in melee, a tackle on 1 success(which has led to many of wins), decent kick stats for Morts and Tooled up is great for the needed take outs.

I originally ditched silence because he could never get a shutout to hit anyone, but he might well get another run next time I face brewers  :)

My usual go to for Silence is to allocate 2inf to him. Go into a easier target to generate a point of MOM then Bonus Time the Shut Out. On Tapper is kills so much of his tools. Commanding Aura only affecting himself. Heroic is useless. Plus, hes then set up to be crowded out by your line up relatively easy so on his activation he's just struggling.

1 hour ago, Jynxed85 said:

My usual go to for Silence is to allocate 2inf to him. Go into a easier target to generate a point of MOM then Bonus Time the Shut Out. On Tapper is kills so much of his tools. Commanding Aura only affecting himself. Heroic is useless. Plus, hes then set up to be crowded out by your line up relatively easy so on his activation he's just struggling.

Does this makes sense? You gain one Die via Bonus Time and loose one Die via Crowded out... Or did i miss something?

edit: okey i got it... you stay on one Die after the Crowding out :)

I have terrible luck with bonus time, I’m one of those people that can roll physical dice as unpredictably as vassal does electronic ones :D

Typically the more dice I roll the more I fail as well. Silence just works for my line ups a lot. When I used to just rely on one die it ended up wasting more time and resources then anything. With the bonus time it lands a lot more often.

One of my favorite tricks with receiving a kick off was to have Silence retrieve the ball in range to shut out the kick off model. Pass the ball then use the MOM for the bonus time. Would usually then set up a PM or Lure that Shut Out Model in for the team to kill turn one with little retaliation from my opponent.

1 hour ago, CaerSidis said:

Does this makes sense? You gain one Die via Bonus Time and loose one Die via Crowded out... Or did i miss something?

edit: okey i got it... you stay on one Die after the Crowding out :)

You still get the bonus die so rolling 2 dice for the character play.

Bonus time is added after all penalties are taken into consideration. So for his 1 cost plays you will always roll a minimum of 1 then add bonus time.

Next time I’m facing a team with a single main amplifier (so I guess tapper, ox... Er... some others probably. Maybe honour?) I’ll give him another chance .

Though when I can miss four dice tap ins reliably, he may end up back in the box as soon as Skulk and graves are painted :D

OGraves is the one who surprises me constantly. Played a couple games last week where I used him for ball retrieval and his T on 1 was huge. Plus the 3/6 kick allowed him to still get it out to someone important and dodge them away.

Only problem with that (admittedly great) plan is that obulus isn’t even prepped yet, so confidence isn’t going to be available for a fair while! 

It’s Scalpel all the way :D

1 minute ago, Mako said:

Only problem with that (admittedly great) plan is that obulus isn’t even prepped yet, so confidence isn’t going to be available for a fair while! 

It’s Scalpel all the way :D

That's fair! I really lack any good advice for playing Scalpel as I've played less then 10 games with her. I did find she is awesome at getting someone in that box!

11 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

That's fair! I really lack any good advice for playing Scalpel as I've played less then 10 games with her. I did find she is awesome at getting someone in that box!

She’s not managed it for me yet, but that was because of the terrible decision to try it on the brewers, not her being bad :D

She does a lot for me as a dervish buddy for bonesaw (it’s tricky to get memory into position sometimes because of his puny 4” kick, so her extra two inches makes life easier) and scores herself at times. 

She’s an awesome model, and won my favour when I managed to get tormented agony on flint in her first game. My opponent was not impressed when he suddenly didn’t have enough inf to make his goal run, and had to find something useful to do with wrecker, who was miles away from anything!

Scalpel has been winning favor with me more and more. Even more so with Pelage's release coming up. Snared + SO is such a devilish set up. Plus now with Knee Slider being gone her Second Wind allows her to score easily and be far out of danger.

Another game against Tapper's Brewers tonight. It was a really weird result, as I lost 12-0 (my worst ever result), and yet I felt I had far more control going on in the first few turns. @Secondbreky agreed I was far more trouble than I was last week.

I had Scalpel, Dirge, Bonesaw, Cosset, Silence and Ghast. Graves is still on the painting table, so he's not quite an option yet (though could well be one next time!)

I kicked off (with Ghast) this time, which with the new game plans frees me up to pick one with a useful ability as there's very little chance I'll win turn 2 initiative. Everyone trundled up, Cosset luring Hooper out to one side for Ghast to charge (first time that's worked). Silence got shut out off on tapper twice I think, and once on Spigot while he had the ball. Three of the brewers ended up on fire (Scalpel's legendary dragging two into the burning effect), and general mayhem involving me using Unmasking and then Unexpected Arrival to really split up the fledgling scrum. Basically, Guild PinBall instead of regular Guild Ball. Unfortunately, I kept ending up one momentum shy of what I wanted to do, and not getting anything better than one +5 as Game Plans meant I could almost guarantee losing initiative if I wasn't decently ahead in the momentum race. Which meant turn three onwards I had to expect to get hit at least once, hard, before I could shut anything critical down.

Mostly though it was me not quite planning out things far enough - I killed the ball brilliantly one turn, but on Spigot, near the opposing goal line, and when I hadn't got any chance of winning a brawling race! I stripped the ball off Friday and got it out onto an open wing, but I'd had Silence and Bonesaw come onto the pitch on opposite flanks and so didn't have enough for a goal run...

So yeah, strange game where I made a real nuisance of myself but wasn't actually achieving much in the way of damage or goal runs :D

Entertainingly, Grave's expression this far in the painting process sums it up quite well:

wJhWl2n.jpg

On the bright side, Ghast and Silence did pull their weight. If I'd switched in Graves I might've had some more chances to do damage, but the main candidate for that is  bonesaw. He really excels when receiving though, so it might be that I use graves when Kicking and Bonesaw when receiving. After all, Scalpel Bonesaw and Silence have decent scoring capacity if I don't bog them down in melee!

I really enjoyed that game @Mako I think it mainly came down to you accidentally killing the ball for yourself which allowed me to focus on getting a couple of scrums started and get ahead via a couple of TO. I'm looking forward to next weeks rematch.

That does have to rank as one of the all time great tactical fails :D

Graves might actually make it to the table next week, I’ve been painting away!

One of my favorite Scalpel plays for an easy take-out/goal threat is to do a heavily weighted line up to one pitch edge when kicking.

Give it to Scalpel, try to get just barely over the line within 5" of the pitch edge. If they don't have an exceedingly fast model/someone with a good reliable kick, you can almost always get an easy push off if they go for it. Heroic after to second wind and get out of retaliation range. If they don't go for it, run up, grab it yourself and second wind to safety to setup for the turn 2 goal.

That has some interesting potential for scoring  - if Scalpel can get the ball back, then a quick pass to Bonesaw leaves them in position to try and squeak to a turn one goal too (because she’ll be a bit forward, and has a decent kick, to dervish off), if things go well. 

Of course, with my dice skills (last week I rolled 7 dice and got 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 6!) things going well is always a gamble :D