Moltry

Big League 10 advice

Hello fellow Hunters,

I'm quite new to the Hunters guild and in a few weeks I'm starting a Big League with some friends and i wanted to play Hunters (previous BL I played Fish). However, as i'm not that familiar with the Hunters, I could definitely use some advice on what players to pick for my roster as well as tips how to play them.

I've been looking a bit through several posts and thought of the next 10:

Theron, Skatha, Fahad, Chaska, oHearne, Jaecar, Zarola, Seenah, Egret and Minx

The other guilds that will be played in the BL are Masons, Butchers, Brewers, Farmers and Alchemists. We are quite casual players (not everyone even has the miniatures :P) and our level of play is not that high, many mistakes/misplays happen regularly xD

Looks good to me. I feel like roster decisions with hunters comes down to your favorite between Egret or Ulfur, and then pick 2 of either Chaska, vHearne, or oHearne.

Oh hi there, @Moltry. :P It might be a good idea to send an email about this, as your last email indicated that you were going for Fish. :lol:

For anyone else, I'm the Masons player he's talking about. :ph34r:

In my opinion (which is totally not biased whatsoever :P), your 10 looks fine. :) I'll leave the expert strats to the pro's around here. @burroboskov and @ForestRamboare good persons to ask for advice.

17 minutes ago, Moltry said:

We are quite casual players

By the way, who are you calling casual? Half of your competition is Netherlands' team 2 for the upcoming WTC. :P

@burroboskov I have played 2(?) games with hunters so far, while not having the Heralds players yet and no Minxy, so can't really say i have any favourites xD 

@Nykolae: At first I wanted to change my Fish roster to include A&G, but well......yeah...... So Leon told me to maybe play Hunters to learn them, so i've been looking into them a bit before making a definite choice :P

@Nykolae In no way do I want to be considered an expert! But I like to share my experiences at least.

Speaking of which, @Moltry I hope you have checked out my match summary thread, where I've detailed almost all of my games with Hunters. You can get an idea of how the Hunters play (at least, when I'm in control!).

7 hours ago, burroboskov said:

In no way do I want to be considered an expert!

Seeing as you and Aaron are the two people who are currently regularly throwing down Hunter bat-reps, I considered you two were the ones to talk to about game experience. ;)

21 minutes ago, Mo11usq said:

If vhearne is taking a shelf nap, what do you run with Skatha?

I normally run Cat, Bear, Jaecar, Minx and Ulf.

Skatha can throw the bear at people, you've got Minx and Jaecar to set up both the Cat and Bear and Ulf to collect the ball and score. Skatha can also score if the opportunity arises. 

2 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Your 10 looks solid mate, I leave vHearne & Snow at home as well. 

But what about Ulfr? @Moltry mentions bringing Egret over him. What are your thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

Skatha, Fahad, Jaecar, Zarola, Ulfr & Seenah. 

I curious as to you why you take Zarola here.  I find that Skatha has enough movement shenanigans to keep everybody happy, plus you don't have BotSF to power MO so you actually have to give influence to Zarola to use it. 

49 minutes ago, Nykolae said:

But what about Ulfr? @Moltry mentions bringing Egret over him. What are your thoughts on this?

Makes sense, both Ulfr & Egret fill the role of a striker. I value Ulfr's buyable dodge which is a trade for him being useless at doing anything apart from Scoring. Egret has 1" extra goal threat and is much more useful if she's not scoring a goal but lacks reliable means to disengage her self in rough situations / play around counter charge. 

30 minutes ago, ningu said:

I curious as to you why you take Zarola here.  I find that Skatha has enough movement shenanigans to keep everybody happy, plus you don't have BotSF to power MO so you actually have to give influence to Zarola to use it. 

I take Zarola because I think Midnight Offering is the best character play in the guild and I always want it about :)

On 3/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, Moltry said:

I've been looking a bit through several posts and thought of the next 10:

Theron, Skatha, Fahad, Chaska, oHearne, Jaecar, Zarola, Seenah, Egret and Minx

This is the same 10 I've been playing lately and will be running at a tournament this weekend.

Probably not the most useful advice, but IMO try to think in a tournament 6 instead of 10 (like a lineup that you are most familiar with, or a lineup that you think can handle your meta of 80% brawlers), then add other models if you feel the need of occasional swaps. In my experience this is the more efficient approach, especially if you don't have a firm conception of each model on your roster.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, angyi said:

Probably not the most useful advice, but IMO try to think in a tournament 6 instead of 10 (like a lineup that you are most familiar with, or a lineup that you think can handle your meta of 80% brawlers), then add other models if you feel the need of occasional swaps. In my experience this is the more efficient approach, especially if you don't have a firm conception of each model on your roster.

I like this suggestion a lot, since one of the hard things to do is make sure you bring the right players during drafting. If you've started with this logic during squad selection, drafting strategy will be that much easier.