Sign in to follow this  
Fujin

Living in the new reality

#unionfree2018 is about to become the new standard for Guild Ball teams everywhere. And how lucky are we to be losing our Union options as the first team out of the gate with the imminent release of the Ratcatchers? :huh:

So... anyone put any thought and/or serious game time into this yet? i.e. playing pure Morticians (albeit maybe with Skulk/Pelage). I haven't played with any of the Union option aside from Mist for ages anyway but holy cow... losing Mist from the team... ouch.

I've dropped Pelage in one game (v Blacksmiths) and she was a beast, but my ongoing concern is a lack of (debatably) viable goal scoring options. Is this just our lot and a case of "suck it up, princess"? Do we wait until a Season Four errata buff and jump ship in the meantime?

What say you?

I started playing Morts at the beginning of the year. Only going pure since I knew we would be taking the hit early. 

Most of my goals have been coming from either captain or BP&M. Scalpel has been pretty nasty as Ive been proxing in Pelage. Pelage Has been doing some work. Free damage in the aura, setting up SO on target which dials Scalpel to 11.

Hopefully we see a little work done to our VGraves and Bonesaw but I dont see a heavy rework, but hopefully some tweaks that make them work a little cleaner.

I don’t have much experience, but Scalpel, brainpan/memory and bonesaw seems to to give me a reasonably decent scoring potential. Even when I fluff passes I can usually salvage something :D

Most of my goals come from Obs, Bp&M, oGraves and Bonesaw, with Mist if he is taken being a distraction from who I'm really trying to score with.

Obs and the creepy puppet pair can create goals from some really unexpected places, and a lot of people forget oGraves 2" T on 1 hit.

Really liking Skulk as a psuedo-striker as he suits the midfield nicely and his access to T << can be a surprise for your opponent. Just lacks straight line speed and range, but that's a Mortician problem in general we've always had to work around. 

I will miss Mist as I like to play for 3 goals and he makes this easier, but I also like playing pure Guild so don't take him that much anyway.

Not tried Pelage as I hate proxying but I'm looking forward to the headaches she'll cause opponents. 

Movement is rarely an issue with Puppet Master.  This isn't a scoring team.  We are at best 2-2 and realistically a 4-1 team.

I don't believe in the Scalpel Murderball team.  Pelage is a bodyguard, not a missile.   Obulous is just almost always better then Scalpel in every way.   But if he can get up field he can potentially score 3 on his own.  If not there is the puppet, Graves, Bonesaw, etc.  3/6 kick is very, very powerful

We are fine for scoring. Played a 15 player event over the weekend finishing second averaging 2-2 (and I think one 3-0 and one 2-1)

didnt run mist cause bonesaw is life. 

I took bonesaw every game. He really needs to score turn one to the point that some games I will pm him forward to score. Only needing one dodge to get an effective 6+ dice kick. 

Once he is def 5, he is a control piece.

over 4 games, bonesaw scored 7 goals. That’s a true striker

other notable strikers for the weekend included obulus, memory and even graves sunk one.

in short, for football we are fine.

As far as pelage, she is amazing. Proxied her in 4 games and every time she has made an impact. Whether it’s loaded up to kill someone or walking into scrums with 1. Her singled out is great but her biggest things are her auto damage, snared/damage dilemma and no mom when trying to kill her. 5/0 10 boxes takes more than a single activation for most models to kill her and so far, she has cost at least 10 mom to opponents.

She is mortians style exemplified. They either sink a moderate amount of resources into killing her, thus netting you an advantage while other models are left alone or they leave her alone and she starts running the table.

plus, 6/8 with 3/6 kick is nothing to scoff at

Looks like Bonesaw and Graves get no errata judging by todays stream. That leaves Spooks without a reliable striker therefire I'll play Engineers for now. 

50 minutes ago, Dragoon06 said:

The change to vGraves is that his heroics plays affect squeak, bonesaw i don't see any change in the live match.

So nothing changed from Morticians point of view, they suck as they did before and Mist goes away. That's sad.

I dunno, especially if draft remains after cards, we saw one that was just players get +1/+0 to their kick stat. Right there, that makes the bonesaw run dramatically more reliable. I'm going to wait to see what the rest of the gameplan deck looks like before calling fishbones(scoreticians? is there a nickname for footbally morticians?) a lost cause.

I've been playing footbal Spooks for quite a while now as I feel we can't compete in scrum. I often ended up scoring 3 goals (most if not all of them executed by Mist) and loved that playstyle that seems to be gone. 

Allthough this +1/0" kick card is great but You have less than 50% chance of drawing it and it's just 1 turn. One can't really base the strategy on it.

Underwhelmed by the Vet Graves changes. Don't hold out much hope for any alteration to Bonesaw. B'saw is my favourite figure and his playbook is 'OK' but he needs so much planning and set up to make him work. 

Suck it up and see how we go.

Finished painting the 'smiths.

I like Skulk. My new favorite model. He is a great control piece with ‚poised‘ his great playbook and of course the back of his card and he scored in every single game so far. Besides him I score mainly with Obulus. Just won ‚most scored goals‘ at an event. 

I like Bonesaw but I‘m very careful with when to use him and how to keep him from harm until he can score. 

Lately Casket is one of my most important players. He controls the middle of the pitch and with his movment shinanigans he can really ruin the opponents turns. And ‚Casket Time‘ is a pure joy! I won a few games with two goals, one Obs and one Skulky Boy, and one Take Out with Casket Time. 

I‘m thrilled for Pelage and what she will change. Skulk is just brilliant! Good job with the minor guild so far. 

I believe the spooks are more of a 2-2 team than a 4-1 team actually more a 1-3 or even 2-1 team (including casket time)
I find with the new gameplan deck the morts have some really usefull and new tricks up their sleeve.
For instance:

- Grudge match is a card we really can get good use out of because of our long playbooks.
- Go For The Knees for Casket (Time).
- Keep the Ball Moving ( we have a lot/some  2/6 players that are used most of the time).
- Stick To The Plan (Bonesaw Move).
- Kick 'Em When They're Down (Casket Time again).

Also with Knee Slider gone Scalpler is one of the few players with acces to second wind also due to her Heroic Play this really upped the Spooks game in terms of scoring.

Cheers,

I'm switching to Engineers cause BSaw just doesn't do the trick for me. Huge base, 1" melee, low def and low threat range without setup are significant flaws for striker with no real compensation. Gameplans are helpful but they help all the others guild aswell. Spooks are benched until the season 4 comes. Cogs for the win!

Bonesaw is the striker with less survival in the game and bad options to do his job due to Kick stats from his two guilds.

When you see Bonesaw and compare with Bolt, you see that two have similar style of play but Bolt have more options and survival and for me this is the reason that Bonesaw need a change.

O think this options:

-showboating

-unpredictable movement

-shadowlike

-meditation for entire turn or aura 6" 

-football dervish give the others +1/+2 Kick to the pass.

-swift wind increase +2/+2 movement or ignore parting blow

-offensive defense give him poised or increase TAC or Dodge.

Honestly, I’ve played bonesaw a lot and the only time I don’t like him is when he can’t score turn 1 (whether it’s bad dice or more likely, competent opponents)

once he is def 5 slippery, he’s actually quite a solid piece. I generally find he only needs 2 passes from football dervish (one from him and one from silence usually) to get an extra 8”. 

Once hes scored i use him to break up scrums. Unexpected arrival is really easy to hit on the charge. Like, really easy.

while there are a lot of changes I’d love to see (+1 tac, unexpected, 2” reach, rowdy) the only one I desperately want it to get rid of offensive Defense and make him def 5

any Game where he can’t score early, he’s a victim. Obby can screw with kick off for him but scalpel or rat catchers he won’t get a start unless I receive 

I don't understand why most people think Morts aren't good. I only play Bonesaw when I receive and have done so 20+ times. I have only failed to score a 1st round goal once. Even did it once with a 0"/0" move by using football dervish three times. If memory is dead at brainpan's activation then they have a 17" threat. Obs has an 18" threat and that's if you only use pm to take an extra jog and not use it as football dervish.

I saw someone say morts can't handle a scrum which I think is funny. Obs creates scrums for me all the time. Pm someone in, kd, b&m and pelage finish it. End up with plenty of mom and either a TO or an auto TO top of next turn.

They're not the powerhouse that they were last season but they are still plenty competitive into pretty much every team. I usually hate when people say you just need to get good with them but.... If what you're doing now isn't working then try something different. They have plenty of options.

Mortician for me is a good guild but bonesaw, vGraves and vileswarm need a little Buff, the rest of the team it's ok.

I used bonesaw too much but others striker do his job more easy, vileswarm for me don't exists and vGraves only need that packmaster be better or hace anatomical precision.

How are people NOT scoring with Bonesaw?! It's almost broken, how good he is. He's Def 5 after the first goal too (so from mid-late Turn 1 usually).

Complaints about his large base and short melee fall flat imo - when you're Unexpectedly Arriving in to a bunch of players, you scattering them out further, allowing other Morts to get up the pitch with less interference.

Get Dirge on Ball collect/drop duty with him and you're laughing.  

I appreciate peoples thoughts on Bonesaw when you compare him to a lot of strikers. Flint, Vitriol, Mist are prime example of strikers that make Bonesaw a little bit jealous.

Bonesaw feels like he has to jump through hoops to be a really efficient striker where as other "good" strikers are just flat out good at scoring goals. It's not that Bonesaw can't be made to work and he will have games where he achieves a good amount it's just when compared to other players in his role he feels hard done by. 

He does seem to gain a lot from the gameplan that grants him (and everyone else friendly) Showboating, not sure if that would be as pronounced on strikers that didn’t use dervish as there’s a fair few teamwork actions in his goal runs. Always nice when his goal generates you MP, instead of not quite replenishing the stuff you burned getting it!

2 hours ago, Lee said:

How are people NOT scoring with Bonesaw?! It's almost broken, how good he is. He's Def 5 after the first goal too (so from mid-late Turn 1 usually).

Complaints about his large base and short melee fall flat imo - when you're Unexpectedly Arriving in to a bunch of players, you scattering them out further, allowing other Morts to get up the pitch with less interference.

He CAN score, it's just harder than the same thing with REAL strikers. It's hard to recover the ball with him, hard to disengage, goal threat is short or hazardous.

You need 3 net hits to trigger UA. Good luck with that vs typical 4+/1 model as long as they can use def stance.

@ForestRambo is right - BSaw is not bad, it's just other strikers that are flat-out better. Please nerf Flint, Friday, Vitriol, Sakana, Mist and others.

Look at this problem this way: Angel is basicaly never played by Fish because there are better choices. If she were a Spook I'd play her over Bonesaw every game... It's like Sakana>Angel>Bonesaw. That's how big is the gap between our 'striker' and real strikers.

On 16.3.2018 at 11:12 AM, Lee said:

I usually fail the pass :(:P

8 minutes ago, The_Question_NL said:

I usually fail the pass :(:P

Snap :P

Though in my last three games I’ve failed about half my dervish efforts (sometimes due to vassal dice. Even in person, I can roll four dice and get straight ones...), and in all but one case I could recover the ball and still reach the goal. So it’s nice for the range, but often I can weasel something at max range with it only half going off and having to go out of my way a bit to retrieve said ball. 

Mostly I laugh, especially when memory starts in base contact and I miss the pass...