Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Devilsquid

Chiseling away at the fallacy.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Scapegoat_Stephen said:

I'll see what I can do :)

Got the kit so likely going to do some video battle reports in the future which will be spread a cross multiple guilds for variety but may try some tactics videos too.

It would be great!!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will see about adding photos at the weekend :)

Football vs Football. Honour, Wrecker, Chisel Flint, oHarmony and Mallet vs Ferrite, Iron, Farris, Bolt, Hearth Alloy.

Takeout on oHarmony after I mess up placing. 2-0 to Blacksmiths.

Flint picks up a lose ball after Wrecker knocks down Ferrite. He passes to Chisel. She gets a crazy, Singled out, ganging up charge on Farris bounces off her with a triple dodge and taps in a goal in. 2-4

Farris gets taken out. 2-6

Ferrite gets the ball bounces around and scores. 6-6

Goal kick goes to Mallet who charges Hearth smacks her out the way and slots in my second. 6-10

Alloy is passed the ball and slots another home 10-10.

Blacksmiths fail to take out Flint and I half kill Hearth after tackling the ball from her (terrible scatter). But I am unable to take a shot as ran out of influence.

Blacksmiths win initiative due to the old dice roll system (haven't printed new cards yet) and Iron kills Flint taking it to 12-10 loss for me.

Chisel spent the game providing crowd outs and scored my first goal. She never went below 8 health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scapegoat_Stephen said:

I will see about adding photos at the weekend :)

Football vs Football. Honour, Wrecker, Chisel Flint, oHarmony and Mallet vs Ferrite, Iron, Farris, Bolt, Hearth Alloy.

Takeout on oHarmony after I mess up placing. 2-0 to Blacksmiths.

Flint picks up a lose ball after Wrecker knocks down Ferrite. He passes to Chisel. She gets a crazy, Singled out, ganging up charge on Farris bounces off her with a triple dodge and taps in a goal in. 2-4

Farris gets taken out. 2-6

Ferrite gets the ball bounces around and scores. 6-6

Goal kick goes to Mallet who charges Hearth smacks her out the way and slots in my second. 6-10

Alloy is passed the ball and slots another home 10-10.

Blacksmiths fail to take out Flint and I half kill Hearth after tackling the ball from her (terrible scatter). But I am unable to take a shot as ran out of influence.

Blacksmiths win initiative due to the old dice roll system (haven't printed new cards yet) and Iron kills Flint taking it to 12-10 loss for me.

Chisel spent the game providing crowd outs and scored my first goal. She never went below 8 health.

Wow, nice report, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm giving her a spot in my 10 for a tournament tomorrow.

Looks like 4 rounds so there is a good chance that she'll see play.

I'll try to do some theoryball with her tonight and see what kind of matchups can be favorable for her.
I guess she might take Harmonys spot with Hammer if I don't need condition removal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chisel ended up only  in the game against Smoke where I wanted an additional 2" model to deal with unpredictable movement. Hammer and Flint still did most of the job with v.Harmony helping out with condition removal, but Chisel did get a chance to go in and pick the ball off of Naja.

I still lost with 2 VP, but I it's the first time I played against Smoke so I had no big issue with that until I found out after the game that my opponent being new to the game had misunderstood some rules and ended up getting a goal he should not have gotten due to a counter charge by Marbles. So my goal going forward is going to try to play some vassal games with different guild so I learn their models better and don't end up taking my opponents rules claims for granted just because I've never seen the model in action before.

But Chisel even though she did not do a lot did just what she was supposed to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had always tried Chisel as damage dealer and it has gone pretty bad. After reading this post I wanted to try her as ball retriever and the results were interesting.

I took her to a small tournament and used her only in my last game against Blacksmiths. He kicked, I moved the ball to Flint in the right side and he sent Iron and Alloy very deep to try to get it. It lead to a couple of rounds of  beating and not much ball playing, so Chisel just stayed in the middle of the field in cover not really doing anything. Finally I managed to send Flint up and score, and he kicked the ball to the left side, where he had a clear advantage. And then it was when her time arrived. I position Chisel, generated a lot of momentum and managed to win initiative. She charged, got the ball, attack again for a dodge and kick it kicked it to the other side. There was nobody in range to get the past, but she managed to put the ball in an open space where I had a clear advantage and I end up winning the game. 

So she just got one real activation in the whole game, but then she did what she had to do. I would say that if you are facing a team whose ball carriers have 1 inch melee she can be a good choice. But you have to accept that she has a very specific role and it is not going to help a lot in other tasks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 4:25 AM, Jotnebane said:

I still lost with 2 VP, but I it's the first time I played against Smoke so I had no big issue with that until I found out after the game that my opponent being new to the game had misunderstood some rules and ended up getting a goal he should not have gotten due to a counter charge by Marbles. 

What was the scenario with the goal and Marbles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coach Z said:

What was the scenario with the goal and Marbles?

At the begining of the game I asked which models had UM and he as he was knew to the game he had misunderstood I've been burnt before... and mixed it with UM so he pointed her out as being one of the models that had UM.

So when later Vitriol moved into goal range I still did a countercharge with Marbles ending in base to base with Vitriol so that she (with the UM she does not have) had to dodge out of goal range if she wanted to avoid my countercharge. Then after looking at the card he claimed to be able to dodge due to Marbles having the poisoned condition and just then the TO happened to come by asking what was going on and only half explaining the situation he confirmed that she could dodge due to the condition. This was game 4 and I'd been up very early do to my kids getting up at 05:30 so I just took his yes she can dodge as an OK for the dodge when due to us not having explained the situation completely he thought it was start of activation for Vitriol and not after her advance.

So I got punished for not knowing the rules of the Alchemist models well enough. I should have gotten the charge and hopefully pushed Vitriol out of goal range.

So going forward I'll try to play som games on Vassal with different teams so I learn them better and know what I'm up against. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jotnebane said:

At the begining of the game I asked which models had UM and he as he was knew to the game he had misunderstood I've been burnt before... and mixed it with UM so he pointed her out as being one of the models that had UM.

So when later Vitriol moved into goal range I still did a countercharge with Marbles ending in base to base with Vitriol so that she (with the UM she does not have) had to dodge out of goal range if she wanted to avoid my countercharge. Then after looking at the card he claimed to be able to dodge due to Marbles having the poisoned condition and just then the TO happened to come by asking what was going on and only half explaining the situation he confirmed that she could dodge due to the condition. This was game 4 and I'd been up very early do to my kids getting up at 05:30 so I just took his yes she can dodge as an OK for the dodge when due to us not having explained the situation completely he thought it was start of activation for Vitriol and not after her advance.

So I got punished for not knowing the rules of the Alchemist models well enough. I should have gotten the charge and hopefully pushed Vitriol out of goal range.

So going forward I'll try to play som games on Vassal with different teams so I learn them better and know what I'm up against. 

That's a pain in the neck, you'd hope the TO would be able to read the card and give you the right answer. This is a reason I quite like having Tooled Up on a phone at an event as I can then look at all the cards quite quickly and check what I want to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

That's a pain in the neck, you'd hope the TO would be able to read the card and give you the right answer. This is a reason I quite like having Tooled Up on a phone at an event as I can then look at all the cards quite quickly and check what I want to know.

The TO answered correctly given the information he had. 

I don’t blame him at all. This was all down to me not asking the correct questions and the other player misunderstanding some rules. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Devilsquid said:

Always take the time to read the cards, especially if you're unfamiliar with them.

 

I know. 

I blame it on this being game 4 and I was really tired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jotnebane said:

I know. 

I blame it on this being game 4 and I was really tired. 

I've always felt that some team/faction choices suffer unpopularity because of the brainpower needed to run them in tournaments after 3/4 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsquid said:

I've always felt that some team/faction choices suffer unpopularity because of the brainpower needed to run them in tournaments after 3/4 games. 

I recently watched Round 4 of the British Championship Qualifier where Stephen Easton plays Blacksmiths against James Long with Corsair. 

The amount of bad moves towards the end of that game kind of makes your point. 

And my other team just happen to be the Blacksmiths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yeah my first video battle report file corrupted so i knocked out a discussion video on Chisel instead...

Happy for any constructive comments and criticism on the video itself or content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marbles said:

I feel than any argument for Chisel can be countered by "why not take Mist instead?"

Last time I checked he had a different role, was planning on deserting us when our minor guild arrives and didn't take in faction buffs ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He also has a dick, which Brisket likes to slap when he tries taking the ball off her.

I agree with @Marbles at the moment though, in general Mist does ball retrieval better and doesn't really need faction buffs. However, when he flies the coop, Chisel is replacing him for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

He also has a dick, which Brisket likes to slap when he tries taking the ball off her.

I agree with @Marbles at the moment though, in general Mist does ball retrieval better and doesn't really need faction buffs. However, when he flies the coop, Chisel is replacing him for me.

I don't disagree she has competition there but I do think she can't be dismissed so easily. After consideration perhaps depending on your own meta and experiences. I have tried to play her based on suggestions in this thread and the sum total of the 6 games I have played her in led me to my thoughts in the video. She WOULD have a place in a 12, in a 10 she deserves consideration but might not make that cut :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Chisel is a lovely model BUT we are being apologists for poor design. Crazy models have low TAC outside their activations as a downside to having above average TAC in their activations and access to wraps. That is a design that makes sense on all other Crazy models. But not Chisel? Some have said this is because Guild buffs would make her OP but that’s just an excuse for bad design. 

Basically she needs to either have TAC 7 with 7 columns or more likely TAC 6 and shrink her playbook as it’s quite stretched. 

So my problem with Chisel is not that she is bad. Just she is badly designed now and that needs fixing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Devilsquid, you being the resident Chisel expert, could you give a list over matchups where you would take Chisel?

I get what she does, and how she does it, I just don't feel comfortable with dropping someone else.

Since her big point is ball retrieval I guess we're talking about matchups where we are mainly trying to score goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jotnebane Well, I bring her in pretty much every list, because I like her overall package, and the ball is important every game. If she's not getting the ball for me to score with, she's getting the ball to stop the opponent from scoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She has game into 1" melee strikers or ball killers due to the 2" melee. She thrives on players like Brisket1 for instance. Can sit outside the 1" melee and can't be counter attacked and is female so doesn't care about fancying Brisket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully vChisel gets the much deserved buff in S4. Having trouble finding space for her in my 10 when Wrecker fulfills the same job at higher efficiency. /s

(But really, super excited for our guild to be getting a new take on a hotly debated character)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×