CurlyPaul

Defending against Striker Pincer attacks

Took the Farmers to a couple of events lately and found many people's answer to Thresher was to bring all their strikers and run them down the wings. You know the kind of game, high pressure football, probably ending before I can really get the Farmers cranked up.

So far Jackstraw has been most useful in killing the ball but I still can't hold on to it long enough to grind them out.

Perhaps I should bring Grange in those games? Grange has game, but I've been neglecting him in favour of Thresher to make the most if him before he gets the nerf hammer... 

What do you guys do against Midas, Shark, Honour/Mist/Flint, Pin Vice etc? I'm guessing vet Honour will help this :)

Also curious on the answer here.  One of my local players plays fish and I cannot seem to stop the scoring train no matter how hard I try.  (Shark fish obviously)

I did stop them with Windle next to Thresher where Thresher becomes the setup for Windle and Windle doing the take-outs (+1 VP).

Keep your Farmers close together and form a kind of cage where you can drop the ball. To score the Fish have to come inside the cage giving you a lot of parting blows if they want to get out. If they don't get out, sudden death is  their part.

It is a tight tactic that you have to hold on. Do not go for all the nice targets outside of the cage when the attack  would open the cage.

Yeah I have beat Shark with Murder Ball before. Jackstraw is pretty good at moving the ball great distances and not a bad place to keep it.

Tater can possibly be positioned to Counter Charge ball holders as well... it's not like there aren't options, but the problem I see is with pacing. Beater teams take time to win, any team that can score 3 goals before turn 2 is going to be tough. 

I'm really hoping Honour fixes is this for us, but who to take from my 10!

What about a “footbally” team that doesn’t have to clump together so much, but can still kill stuff? 

Something like Grange, Buckwheat, Jackstraw, Tater, Harrow, Bushel?

If you’re vs a Shark team, you aren’t really dealing with knockdowns all that much, so Peck/Millstone aren’t as needed.  Plus you still have Grange’s legendary to mitigate knockdowns for a turn if needed.

I actually tried this team vs my wife’s Fish and it did pretty well. You can still kill squishies (which is what a Shark team is) pretty fast with tooled up, Grange and Tater, and Buckwheat is very disruptive/fast and can score, plus you have the scoring threats that Jackstraw and Bushel bring.  Bushel is also another good ball holder, especially in cover and within 4” of Harrow.

Maybe it wouldn’t work vs more skilled opponents…idk.  My wife and I aren’t very experienced with the game yet.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:39 PM, AspiringPacifist said:

What about a “footbally” team that doesn’t have to clump together so much, but can still kill stuff? 

Something like Grange, Buckwheat, Jackstraw, Tater, Harrow, Bushel?

If you’re vs a Shark team, you aren’t really dealing with knockdowns all that much, so Peck/Millstone aren’t as needed.  Plus you still have Grange’s legendary to mitigate knockdowns for a turn if needed.

I actually tried this team vs my wife’s Fish and it did pretty well. You can still kill squishies (which is what a Shark team is) pretty fast with tooled up, Grange and Tater, and Buckwheat is very disruptive/fast and can score, plus you have the scoring threats that Jackstraw and Bushel bring.  Bushel is also another good ball holder, especially in cover and within 4” of Harrow.

Maybe it wouldn’t work vs more skilled opponents…idk.  My wife and I aren’t very experienced with the game yet.

I do indeed use that 6 from time to time, and yeah it's pretty good tbh! Having a goal threat is pretty essential when playing against Footbally teams, and Bushel is the best we have.

It's just so hard to keep control of the ball game long enough to get the kills in that we need