Laughnchill

Sick of blacksmiths

Blacksmiths rely on there apprentices to earn the majority of blacksmiths points, and they play a strong goal scoring game. Ferrite being the exception, she can score goals all day. 

Generally against the smiths you want to try to protect the ball, which is extremely difficult if they have cinder. Tater and millstone are good ball holders against cinder in my experience. You also want to try and disrupt the set up of the smiths. For them to get take outs they have to set up the apprentices for it, sledge needs a lot of set up. This gives you time to disrupt him or make him activate at an inopportune time.  

What six were you running? What six is of the smiths are you having difficulties with? 

I often find that Thresher combined with Buckweat of all things can give Smiths a hard time. They tend to telegraph their setup for the turn, nothing is as satisfying as sending in the donkey to kick Sledge 4" back then make a free jog outta there with a well placed harvest marker.

Fallow on the Grange team can also make a mess of Blacksmiths.  If she activates last, with Tooled Up, attacking a target in Honest Labor range, she's TAC 10 and gets +2 damage on playbook results.  Even with their armor, that's often 5-8 damage a swing- enough to wreck most apprentices and even put a serious dent in their masters.  The Grange squad also makes enough Harvest Markers to fill her up from Making Hay, so she's not an influence drain on your team.

On 08/03/2018 at 9:09 AM, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

Fallow on the Grange team can also make a mess of Blacksmiths.  If she activates last, with Tooled Up, attacking a target in Honest Labor range, she's TAC 10 and gets +2 damage on playbook results.  Even with their armor, that's often 5-8 damage a swing- enough to wreck most apprentices and even put a serious dent in their masters.  The Grange squad also makes enough Harvest Markers to fill her up from Making Hay, so she's not an influence drain on your team.

My problems with this setup against them are:

Cinder - I simply can't protect the ball against her. Tackle from 6" is hard.

Bolt and Farris - great velocity to score , Farris can block Tater easily. 3 arm is a nut to crack with 5 tac. Bolt can knock from distance. 

Alloy - great speed. Back tô the shadows, dirty knife acrobatics, T MOM on 2, .... monster. 

So I'll try:

Thresher 

Fallow - I like Windle but he is too slow. 

Peck - my ball holder in cover near the goal - when you have to hit 5/0 in cover is hard. 

Harrow - tooled up. 

Jackstraw - as some friends explained to me in Facebook , the only way to put some H.tokens in advanced position to Thresher or Fallow.

And the question is: Tater or Millstone ? 

The points are: 

millstone can Millstonize things - absorb conditions etc... 

Tater can stay near the goal at first. If I can plant a token Just to avoid the 1turn goal run from when I have the ball. 

I'll try next game a 1st turn of more preparation ! 

8 hours ago, Rvianarpg said:

Cinder - I simply can't protect the ball against her. Tackle from 6" is hard.

Just put the ball on Tater? She can't do an Attack and not get Counter-Charged for huge dmg.

7 minutes ago, Edek said:

Just put the ball on Tater? She can't do an Attack and not get Counter-Charged for huge dmg.

The damage isn't that great. Realistically, it's only going to be 3 damage with a Counter-Charge. I'm not sure how much the Counter-Charge would help. If you take the Mow Down, she can still clear conditions to stand up, and shoot you anyway.

Cinder's tackle is on 3, so the ball should be safer on Jack.

18 minutes ago, ningu said:

The damage isn't that great. Realistically, it's only going to be 3 damage with a Counter-Charge. I'm not sure how much the Counter-Charge would help. If you take the Mow Down, she can still clear conditions to stand up, and shoot you anyway.

Any obstacle would stop that charge so that's a problem too.

10 hours ago, Rvianarpg said:

So... how to play against Blacksmiths? 

You take Harrow, tool up Thresher and put a harvest marker in 2" of him. Then Thresher with 5 INF takes 3" mellee and murders any one blacksmith model on the pitch.

Tater can take a good swing at another model as well and is especially good versus the lady blacksmiths.

Everything else are just nuances.

Seriously, I had Thresher come into the middle of my entire blacksmiths team once, with my entire team ganging up on him and I still couldn't kill him as the healing during his legendary turn is insane and he still managed to have TAC 6.

Even if someone manages to steal the ball from you, Thresher still has an insane reach (my opponent also regularly plays grace who gives him quick foot) and just tackles it from that model and kills it (if its an apprentice).

On 4/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, Rugi said:

You take Harrow, tool up Thresher and put a harvest marker in 2" of him. Then Thresher with 5 INF takes 3" mellee and murders any one blacksmith model on the pitch.

Tater can take a good swing at another model as well and is especially good versus the lady blacksmiths.

Everything else are just nuances.

Seriously, I had Thresher come into the middle of my entire blacksmiths team once, with my entire team ganging up on him and I still couldn't kill him as the healing during his legendary turn is insane and he still managed to have TAC 6.

Even if someone manages to steal the ball from you, Thresher still has an insane reach (my opponent also regularly plays grace who gives him quick foot) and just tackles it from that model and kills it (if its an apprentice).

Before or after errata?

After the errata he probably needs to spend all 5 of his INF to kill someone.

The story about thresher in the middle of my team was after the errata as well.