Sign in to follow this  
Michał

Fish influence spread

So, yesterday I have played my first 2 games with Fisherman's Guild, one with Shark against Obulus (yeah, I know...) and the second one with Corsair against Honour.

My teams were:

Shark, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, oSiren & Hag

Corsair, Tentacles, Sakana, Jac, Gutter & Hag

I liked Corsair, Shark was a bit too complicated for me, but a question for both these teams: how do you spread influence?

Corsair seemed easier, but Shark seems very influence hungry with him, Siren, Sakana and Greyscales. How many influence points do you usually give to what players in Corsair's and Shark's teams if you want them to work as best as they can?

I've only played a few games with the Fish but I try to look at the start of the turn what the situation is. And disperse influence accordingly. But most of the time Greyscales wants at least to sprint and dodge so that's minimum 2. Corsair usually rocks out with a full stack. Shark on the other hand is a tough cookie I've found, he usually gets very situational influence depending if he's looking out to die, if he can pick the ball and score or is there a surprise take out somewhere if the ball isn't an option. Sakana likes to run around so at least one. Then I try to see who can try for a goal run and juice that model up, then I think about who's going to pick up after that fails :D and that player will also get a stack. I'm not very good at the the whole managing resources part yet so I'm quite interested in this discussion as well.

Both captains are super influence hungry. I run Shark as a super solo striker. Give him 6 influence to go on an extremely reliable goal run or recover the ball, all while generating a ton of momentum. On the other hand, Corsair wants to grind out the scrum and wants to be able to use Drag and push people around. Also, since he's such a pain to take out, you'll very rarely actually risk losing any influence you dump on him.

So most turns I start out by giving the captain 6 influence. From there, it's just a challenge of identifying which players are in position to influence the game. One of the strengths of Fish is that they are very flexible in terms of playmaking. Sakana is always safe since he generates momentum so easily and has a ridiculous threat range. I always want to give Siren at least 2 influence so she can try for a charge to get Seduced, but this is fairly situational. Both mascots have stuff they can do with one or two influence. You're already bringing Hag, who is probably the most influence efficient model in the game. I almost never give her any influence and she still has a massive impact on every game.

Typically, I load up the captain and one other player (often Sakana) and then spread the rest of my influence around the other players so that I'm ready to respond to as many situations as possible. Sometimes this means only having three players with influence and sometimes (if I've scored a goal or two) this means having a couple of players with two influence each, but I've noticed that with Fish more so than almost any other team, the role of non-captain star player changes almost every turn.

21 hours ago, Penguin Warrior said:

You're already bringing Hag, who is probably the most influence efficient model in the game. I almost never give her any influence and she still has a massive impact on every game.

Could you elaborate a bit as to why she has a massive impact every game? Because I usually do take her but I wouldn't call her impact at all massive if even relevant other than generating 2 influence. She's actually twice even been the reason I lost the game because she seems to die to a breeze. :D

Shark is a fantastic captain but one thing I find most interesting about the line up I typically play with him (Shark, Salt, oSiren, Gag, Greyscales & Sakana) is how his approach to the game changes how you play. Your alive and threatening the ball or your dead, all of your activation's are pursuing the ball or putting people in places where you will you can best attack the ball after you've scored. 

I try to had my influence out to players I percieve as the best ball threats post a kick out, typically Greyscales / Sakana will get some and oSiren nearly always sits on 2. Shark gets whatever he needs. 

Have you found a good time to pop up that legendary? I usually just forget it since I don't use it on the first turn and end up never using it. And when I do remember it I don't want to throw it out there because it leaves her as an even easier target. 

12 minutes ago, Furnace said:

Have you found a good time to pop up that legendary? I usually just forget it since I don't use it on the first turn and end up never using it. And when I do remember it I don't want to throw it out there because it leaves her as an even easier target. 

No, but I have played just twice with this Guild. I plan to use it today haha!

The legendary is very good for disengaging a scrum, pushing a goal threat or just generally to better position the team. She's also a great battery for the team. 

1 hour ago, Furnace said:

Could you elaborate a bit as to why she has a massive impact every game? Because I usually do take her but I wouldn't call her impact at all massive if even relevant other than generating 2 influence. She's actually twice even been the reason I lost the game because she seems to die to a breeze. :D

Well the free two influence is already amazing, but the Fisher's Reel is soooooooooo good. The ability to disengage from someone is extremely powerful in Fish and the fact that you get to do it for free just puts her over the top. Think about Sakana; normally, you'd have to buy two attacks to disengage from a model in base to base and you can't do it with less than 3 against a model with reach. Suddenly, Hag has Sakana at the edge of melee and needing on the one attack, freeing him up to use Weak Point safely or run off to chase the ball with more influence. She extends Shark and Corsair's threat ranges on turn one and gives you some very powerful use out of influence that otherwise would have been dead. She can bump Sakana into cover to give him Cover of Darkness. Fisher's Reel is unbelievably flexible and efficient with Talisman, meaning that I bring Hag essentially every game.

1 hour ago, Furnace said:

I've had lots of trouble with this actually, since I mostly play Shark, who is usually so far up the field that her legendary really doesn't have much impact. But it is amazing with Corsair. I've had his entire team dodge into engagement with a model I'd thought I cleverly got out of danger. Suddenly, Corsair was swinging with 9 or 10 dice when he otherwise would have had to chew threw a 5 defence model on six dice. With Corsair, the ability to reshuffle a fight suddenly can help you go from an even fight to having a significant brawling advantage.

Then you add in Fear, Shadowlike, and 2" melee and Hag just becomes one of the best models in the game. Yes, she's fragile, but she demands a huge commitment from the other team to take out. She's a core part of the general Fish approach of being fragile but extremely slippery, all while being a battery who still does stuff. Ultimately, this means that Hag is a support model who repositions your playmakers without taking influence away from them, making influence distribution a lot easier.

Thank you very much! 

I've actually only managed to do a very few of those, Sakana into cover is what I've managed and it was actually quite nice. I do usually bump Corsair ahead with her as well. Also I've tried to bump A&G out of combat or into combat but usually due to rotating activations the next activation that happens just simply undoes what I just did. 

Her model is among my favourites though so she's on the table usually just for that too. :D The 2 inf is good that much I gathered. 

I did like the reshuffling the fight aspect with her legendary though. That was a very nice point. 

Odd you found shark complicated as he is the much simpler player.

Fish you can never really go wrong with loading your captain up with 6. Both get work done with a full stack. For the team's you've listed out here are some general thoughts and *default* allocations (which should always be adjusted based on board state)

1) Shark, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, oSiren & Hag

This team is all about who is in position to make something happen. Shark is almost always in position to make a play on the ball, and even if he's not, can most reliably pump up your momentum count. Sakana is 2nd in this regard. Greyscales almost always likes at least 1 inf to keep WDTG available. But you should always try to anticipate who, between Sakana and Greyscales, is going to be able to make the most out of their allocation. Usually depends on where the ball is. Osiren is a bit weird because she's normally going to take either 0 or 3 for seduced. Tentacles and Hag are fine with zero 90% of the time. Default: 6/0/3/1/3/0.

2) Corsair, Tentacles, Sakana, Jac, Gutter & Hag

Corsair and Gutter are going to take the majority of the influence on this team each turn. Sakana will take some each turn as well, but how much depends on his relative board state. He's your premire striker here, so does he want to support fighting or score? Jac normally takes 0, but may want 1 for the goad option or try to generate his own momentum for trident tested. Hag and Tentacles are just fine with 0. Default: 6/0/2/1/4/0.