Grenoir

Faithful of Solthesius in May

53 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

Hidden for Spoilers:

Hide contents

Didn't Harry die in UiC? His hat certainly went to someone else after he fell off that cliff and we saw a broken body.

It's a miracle!

4 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

Hidden for Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Harry die in UiC? His hat certainly went to someone else after he fell off that cliff and we saw a broken body.

Yes, that's what Solthecious gives out instead of coal.

Hi, folks.

I'm interested in picking this box up as I like the look of the models. I barely have a handful of games yet.  Could somebody outline their play style, please? 

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Hi, folks.

I'm interested in picking this box up as I like the look of the models. I barely have a handful of games yet.  Could somebody outline their play style, please? 

Thank you.

Well, you've got two strikers in the box. Mist w/ his 2" range, and the captain Seasoned Brisket, with her ability to move super far and make her goal kicks succeed more often. You've also got a winger Grace, with her long kick range, though middling accuracy (she's got a 2/8" kick stat), but she's pretty efficient, as she brings some free influence. Benediction will largely be used to control opposing players' positions in the middle of the pitch, and Harry will make teamwork actions, such as moving after the pass, cheaper to use (they will require 1 less momentum to use). Harry also has some decent re-positioning with pushes and his goad. Finally Pride, the mascot, is a goal tender with a bit of damage if you're into that, but he will generally be used to make it harder for the opponent to score (he can counter-charge if they get too close while he's in the goal, and is character play will increase the influence requirement to make a shot on goal by 1). They're largely a footballing team, with the support pieces pushing and tying the opponent down.

The order also runs with 14 influence (12 base + 2 from Grace's Blessed character trait) they look extremely fast from the box alone but I am hoping Seasoned Spigot and Veteran Fangtooth some damage to the team

the order reduced size.JPG

2 hours ago, LouisvillePitch said:

Here is something I have been wondering. Each of the new minor teams have a new ability or trait just for them. Will the Church team have a new trait as well?

It's anyone's guess what sSpigot and vFangtooth will do.  I expect it will be something like the Ratcatchers' dilemma mechanic in that it isn't a single keyword but instead a suite of thematically consistent effects.  Here's some wild speculation:
sSpigot: Trait: Impart Absolution: [6" Aura] During its activation, this model may attack enemy models inside the melee zones of friendly models within this aura as if they were in this model's melee zone.

vFangtooth: Play: Impart Humility: Range P Cost: :P: Sus: checked OPT: checked Effect: Target enemy model suffers [-2"/-2"] MOV and [-1] DMG to Character Plays that cause damage and playbook damage results.

44 minutes ago, MechMage said:

vFangtooth: Play: Impart Humility: Range P Cost: :P: Sus: checked OPT: checked Effect: Target enemy model suffers [-2"/-2"] MOV and [-1] DMG to Character Plays that cause damage and playbook damage results.

I like these and that doesn't happen often lol

3 hours ago, MechMage said:

I would prefer if this character play were called something else, just so it could be used by other big bruisers. Simulates a good clonk on the head stunning someone, and you could put it on there higher up the playbook with some damage to be a great clonk on the head.

13 minutes ago, Ranthoron said:

I would prefer if this character play were called something else, just so it could be used by other big bruisers. Simulates a good clonk on the head stunning someone, and you could put it on there higher up the playbook with some damage to be a great clonk on the head.

"See the Light"?

Anyone played pure Solthecians yet? I'm gonna start this weekend and give every model "Solthecians" so that Mist can bounce off them all (make Motivated "other" so he can't trigger himself).

It's looking like a tough ask that's got to be 3-0. I just can't see any take outs. I hope vFangtooth brings some damage, but I fear if he does then he'll become an auto include as the only way of setting up a 2-2.

At the moment With Aplomb might as well not exist. It's tough to get on the playbook, takes up a result which sBrisket needs to do work (and she's an influence greedy gal when she's doing a goal run), and the only way it could impact a game is if you play 2-2 with one being a mascot. Maybe sSpigot comes with With Aplomb too so that a 2Aplomb-1 becomes an option. To me that doesn't sound out of balance as, unless Fangtooth comes with some serious killing skills, that one take out is gonna take as much effort as Butchers use to get six.

As for vFangtooth himself, I'm expecting :P::PP: on his first two columns, Glut Mass and some way of controlling the movement of enemies around him. (and praying for 3" KD on 1).

@MechMageI love the idea of continuing the Impart theme.

I was considering playing them last weekend, but I still don't have Pride.

5 hours ago, Henry said:

Anyone played pure Solthecians yet? I'm gonna start this weekend and give every model "Solthecians" so that Mist can bounce off them all (make Motivated "other" so he can't trigger himself).

Sherwin did well at Vengeance this weekend using just using the Order box that's been released. If you check out the Vengeance stream on twitch he plays Grange farmers in round 4.

Played against them recently. Feels like Harry and Benediction are the usual great setup pieces for...nothing. It was like playing against Shark levels of beaters except they have 2 ball threats instead of 4, and those 2 ball threats aren't quite as good. Their mascot is there to slow the game down so their opponent has more time to win the fight they dont want

The box badly needs the New Beginnings :-)

On 23/05/2018 at 7:27 PM, 21B said:

If you check out the Vengeance stream on twitch he plays Grange farmers in round 4.

Thanks, that was a peculiar game. I know Dom's one of the top farmer players in the country but I couldn't see where he planned to get the rest of his VP from.

Played them three times last night against Hunters. First game Mist scores immediately, dies, then it's impossible to get the ball back and I get wiped out. Second game doesn't get past the first couple of activations. Mist whiffs, gets taken out and it was going to be a rinse and repeat of the first so I called it.

Third is a little better. First turn I get the whole team to move forward so that the strikers aren't isolated. Mist scores a lucky goal (that really should have been a repeat of the first two games), Brisket pops the legendary, using the dodge to get a ganging up bonus on the model I'm tackling, and scores. Amazingly Grace gets a take out on Hearne (five inf, getting two damage each roll thanks to lots of ganging up and knocked down). Harry pushes a model close to the edge of the pitch and Mist gets the final push to win the game.

Moment of the game was Benediction spotting a model in close range with the ball and barging his way through the team to make an attempt on goal. Would have been spectacular if it worked.

So my initial thoughts in no particular order:

Momentum generation is an issue. Mist needs his inf to ensure the goal, so can't waste attacks trying to get momentum for the goal. Harry and Benediction are the guaranteed momentum generators, so they can't afford to sit back. Your opponent does well to not trigger Rising Anger until after the Church have committed.

Take outs are tough. I had to spend ten influence in one turn to take out an already wounded Hearne (his team was in one half of the field completely surrounding Benediction while the entirety of my team was in the other half fully surrounding Hearne). I also got lucky that my opponent foolishly let a model get close to the edge of the pitch for a push off. Take outs are possible, no doubt, but that is almost a game in itself.

The team is vulnerable to take outs. Your strikers naturally want to go after the ball, but that leaves them isolated and vulnerable to gang ups. Benediction is key here. He stands in the centre of the pitch and comes to the rescue of stranded strikers. Committing the strikers without this support can be fatal.

Tac 4 sucks. In a normal Union team Mist can gain Tac bonuses in many ways. In Church his only bonus comes from gang ups. As he's off on his own so often this makes his playbook very hit and miss, especially when you are right on influence. Goals that need a tackle on route are not reliable at all. You can find yourself sacrificing your striker for no VP in return. The dodge from Brisket's legendary is essential for getting a gang up bonus, helping you hit something good in the playbook.

With Aplomb is worthless. In a normal Union team an extra VP opens up different paths to winning the game. One VP makes almost no difference to the Church game. Brisket also has an OK chance of getting it on the playbook thanks to Tac and Def modifiers in a Union team. Church has none of this, so you're entirely reliant on Brisket's natural Tac to get it. Against a 4+/1 you're wasting your time.

Playbook is everything. This team does no damage from its plays. Only two models have plays that affect the enemy, and one of those is Pride, who is limited to affecting goal shots. So really only Harry affects the enemy. Aside from him you can't reposition the enemy, you can't slow them down or make them weaker or more vulnerable. This team has to make attacks to achieve anything. That means you have to be close to the enemy if they are in your way. There's no Lure or Puppet Master here. No Deadbolt, Unexpected Arrival or Tidal Surge. You're whole game relies upon what you can do with your models, not what you can do to your opponent. (I dread the thought of a Church on Church match up. One of the Benedictions gets the ball and it will be the slowest, most boring grind of a game).

So those are just my first thoughts and I'm open to suggestions on how to work around the problems I've encountered.

I'm hoping Seasoned Spigot and Vet Fangtooth come with playbook damage results higher then 3 and one of them getting singled out, I'm not too worried about missing Tooled Up. Also, I'd like Vet Fangtooth to keep "Fangtooth Unleashed". That'd be nice.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, Henry said:

In a normal Union team Mist can gain Tac bonuses in many ways. In Church his only bonus comes from gang ups.

He has skilled within shadow and can make his own cover, but yeah this is inherently an extremely limited lineup until we get the last two players and a season 4 buff to Trisket