Furnace

What was your first Guild and why?

There's been some heavy topics lately so I thought we'd do a bit lighter discussion this time around. So the question is:

What was your first Guild and what attracted you to that Guild?

Do you still play that Guild or are you a deserter and play a new Guild yet? 

Does your original Guild still hold your heart or have you a new favourite? 

My initial pick during the first KS was the Butchers, I picked them solely for the art of Boar. Man that majestic moustache was an instant sale. Then we sort of didn't play Guild Ball for years and just lately steered into the game. I wanted to try something else rather than beat face as I usually play that faction in every game. So I ordered the Fishermen, then I stumbled upon a really good deal on ebay for the Hunters. And I also by accident ordered Blacksmiths1. I've played Fishermen mainly, with a few games of Butchers, none with the Hunters or Smiths.

Most success I've found with The Butchers, however my sights have turned heavily to the Alchemists. What I've been enjoying the most lately is painting up Guild Ball models, they're a challenge and a blast to paint. :) As far as a favourite Guild hard to say until I've collected them all. :P

Masons. The Aesthetic mainly. 

I do not. I just don;t 'get' them, and though they're supposed to be decent now I just can't be arsed with them. I then on to be not veru good with Morticians, Fishermen, and Hunters. Oh and Blacksmiths. 

I sold some stuff recently, but couldn't bring myself to sell the Masons. They represent the first properly finished hobby project of mine, and I really like the paint job. 

Blacksmiths. I was at GenCon 2017 and lined up two days to get them. They were new and interesting and seemed balanced between two win cons. Ended up trading that box for a huge lot of Morts and Union plus tokens and dice. 25 minis for 6 was too good to pass up. Got it again and haven’t used them yet lol. 

Kick Off Box Masons were mainly the team I played at the kitchen table for a few games over a few months early last summer. By the fall, because I fell in to playing up at my LGS and there was already a Masons player, I switched to the Hunters guild that we had picked up for my wife to paint/play. Around Christmas time I reverted back to Masons when the other guy who had been playing them moved away.

For now... it's Masons for me... at least for another few months as I try to level up to mediocre! :) 

What was your first Guild and what attracted you to that Guild? Brewers, I bought the kick off box and I just liked the idea of them straight away, masons have never been played except by a friend who chose them when I showed him the game. Being Scottish, I enjoyed the nod to Scotland Stereotype of the Brewers. 

Do you still play that Guild or are you a deserter and play a new Guild yet? Yes, I still play them, in fact I am taking them to an event on Saturday. Having said that, I have picked up a new guild too, Hunters, and play them quite a lot. 

Does your original Guild still hold your heart or have you a new favourite? Brewers will always hold my heart, they were the first miniatures I ever painted. Hunters have an equal place now though being the first team I performed well at a tournament with. 

4 hours ago, Furnace said:

1. I picked up the Fishermen. I wanted a team that played ball, first and foremost. I've played soccer my whole life and enjoy watching skilled matches with the focus being goals. At first, I thought not a lot of people in the local meta were playing them. Then I found out that they were kind of a second guild to a lot of folks that also wanted a quick, fast, goal scoring-game.

2. I've recently wanted to try a new focus and picked Engineers.

3. Of course. You never forget your first love. ;)

Miniatures and ideas of the Farmers Guild got me into this game, but . . . 

They weren't released when I started, so I got Butchers instead to learn the game with.

Then I picked up Fish to be my tournament game, before finally getting the Farmers I'd been waiting for.

Started with Hunters, because the models looked cool and the aesthetic appealed to me.  My first character in WoW ages ago was a hunter, green is my favorite color in Magic, etc.  They just fit, though maybe weren't the best place to jump into miniature gaming!

After a rough time learning to play the game with season 2 Hunters, I switched to Alchemists for a good while in season 3, then to Masons, but I'm back playing Hunters now, and determined to get competitive with them.  Mixed results so far, but I'm having fun with them and learning a lot.

The Hunters do have a special spot in my heart, but I identify with Alchemists and Masons, too.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the Falconers!

My first two teams were Masons and Union. Masons cause the guy on the trade stand recommended them and Union because I wanted to have access to all the additional players.

I gelled with Union instantly. I think it's because I don't like to be defined by a theme, I like to have the best in flexibility, and I haven't played another team yet that matches them for that. Nothing dances around the field causing bloody mayhem like the Union (with the exception maybe of a furious Skatha build).

Morticians was the starter that I bought while discussing Guild Ball with a player that had more experience the controlling type of play is something I really like.

Yes I mainly play the Morticians it's also the Guild at the moment that I will be using for the WTC this year.
I do have some new ones mainly everything except the engineers/blacksmiths/ratcatchers

I think it's shifted a little bit to where I value every Guild in a different way.
Yes the Morticians still are number one for me as my first love.
But I really like the goal heavy Fishermen style and being somewhat of a semi-farmer ofcourse the Farmers will be played heavily in the coming time.

Fishermen and Butchers, I liked the aesthetics of each and the fact that they were also to sides of an extreme play style.

YES.  In fact, I only own 5 guilds (Blacksmiths, Masons, Fishermen, Alchemists, Butchers), and I like them all primarily for their aesthetics.  I actually sold the Union and Farmers because even though I thought they were strong guilds that I could play well, I didn't like the way they looked on the table.

Yes.  I bought an Alt. Ox team listing and a Corsair team off eBay.  Both teams have a piece of my heart, but especially the butchers and Ox.  He reminds me of my grandfather, tough as nails but sweet when necessary.  Even if butchers are "considered" the worst team, I still play them all the time.

I started with the KS with Masons & Morts. (Another club member got Butchers & Brewers.) I had no idea what I was getting into.

I now also have: Union, Blacksmiths, Butchers. All of them painted. I also have Alchemists part painted the rest waiting in blisters. I just bought  an Engineers box. (LGS had a good deal. This also applies to the Ratcatchers who are on order.)

I wouldn't want to part with any of them. I am known as a Morts player and keep going back to them. But I am always clocking out so I try easier teams sometimes.

Just had my first game with the smiths and enjoyed them. But I am perennially unfaithful. Came last at the last tournament for the first time ever. There wasn't even a wooden spoon!

Butchers. The models, these are some of my favourite miniatures. Especially Brisket and Fillet. The fluff, I had the Season 1 rulebook for about 6 months before I actually bought any models, and I loved the Butchers story. Gameplay, nice and simple, point and kill!

Only played 13 games of Guild Ball so far and all with the Butchers. Just the solitary win so far!

They'll always be my favourite and I'll always keep using them. I'm just painting up a 2nd (Masons) and 3rd (Hunter's) team, then maybe buy a 4th......

Masons because a friend asked if I wanted to split a Kick Off! box with him and he wanted the Brewers.

But even though I had no choice in it I love the versatility of the guild and want to master it.

I still play them, but then again I've only played GB for half a year.

I do have half of the Blacksmiths and will be getting the other half when the box hits the shelves in a store near me, and even though BS have a strong scoring game I want to master Honour and friends. But a second team lets me invite friends over and give them an introduction to the game.

They do, but wathcing a couple of games on youtube where the pros play BS I'm itching to try out the full team.

1 hour ago, Jotnebane said:

They do, but wathcing a couple of games on youtube where the pros play BS I'm itching to try out the full team.

'The Beard' is fun to watch isn't he.B)

I saw this thread and remembered posting a similar one a while back. 

My first Guild was the Mason's. Mostly due to them being advertised as 'the Guild that can do a bit of everything'. As a new player within the table-top miniature gaming scene, I thought that this would be the best place to start.

I still only have the Mason's Guild in possession, although I have the first Brewer six lying around somewhere from a Mystery Box. I would actually like to expand beyond the Mason's, but I've got some more pressing matters coming up which require my money (wedding, WTC 2018, maybe moving next year).

Funny story: Mason's has actually never held my heart. It was just a practical decision. Aesthetically, I've always loved the Mortician's, and nowadays the Rat Catcher's. The Union has also always held my attention, so I think that when I'm expanding, these three are the first to be added to the collection. And the Solthecian Church as well, of course. #GottaCatchEmAll ;) Here's hoping the Mason's minor Guild will be awesome... ^_^

20 hours ago, Furnace said:

To preface I played half a dozen games during the opening of Season 2 and returned recently as we managed to get a new local club started.

I play Masons because I wanted to try the middle of the road team that could adapt to anything.

I have only played one game with another team of my 20 games. Considering Brewers or Ratcatchers come April.

Still loving Masons.

First guild was Brewers. I like beer, so seemed an obvious choice!

I've stuck with them since the start, but lately my main team us Thresher.

Tapper will always be my favourite though, always feels good to go back and throw out an Old Jakes :)

I backed the Kickstarter and chose Masons (supposed to be good all rounders), Morts (tried during playtest, seemed an interesting 'different' style), Fish (my wife's team she'd played throughout the playtest), Union (free model with each team ordered, so only needed to add-on Blackheart and Coin for another full team - bargain!) and Alchemists (AoE's and conditions all over the place and the best sculpts). Alchemists were the team I chose to play first, as Mercury and Katalyst were by far my favourite sculpts, and the KS Midas is also awesome. Quickly realised how bad S1 Mercury and Katalyst were, so Mist and Decimate got added in short order.

I played Alchemists almost exclusively from release until Vengeance 2017 when I decided 3 years with the same team (when I owned another 5) was too long. Played 1-2 events with Masons before that, a couple of games with Union. Tried Farmers, since the 2nd box have started loosing interest so am moving on to Union for a bit, and might go back to Masons as well.

Alchemists have essentially defined Guild Ball for me - they want to score, but will take sneaky kills where they can and have a player on their team who can just smash face but is liable to control (Katalyst). Having played now with 3 other teams, that basic scheme is how I want to play Guild Ball - Masons can score with Flint and Hammer (even Honour and Harmony), and Hammer can smash face, while Brick and Mallet control and get a little damage in. My Union want to score, but Decimate, Gutter and Blackheart can get in some damage, while Rage can smash face. Farmers don't work like that for me, as they have no reliable strikers/ball retrievers, hence the loss of interest. So yes, Alchemists do hold my heart and I can't escape!

I started Guild Ball in S2. Didn't know what Guild to pick, so I chose the Hunters because there was no information about what they did rules-wise. Blind pick, so to speak.

I play Hunters exclusively. With the changes to the Union on the horizon, I bought a captain and mascot for that Guild so I can use the models once they become unavailable.

As said, Hunters exclusively. I like every other Guild but every game playing something else would be a game I don't play Hunters.... and I have too little gaming time in the first place.

Kickoff Masons, because I liked the aesthetic. But at the time I was attracted to the Butchers because I played the Viks in Malifaux and I loved Brisket's sculpt.

I am a Fish player now. My brother convinced me to try something not-vik so I went with the polar opposite. Plus I loved the idea of having an old fart on the team. I've never looked back.

I still like the butchers and enjoy playing against them and Masons are currently my Jason Voorhies (OH god! Send Help it's Hammer again!), so I look forward to fighting against them.

Brewers ... because they are brewers :) 

Trying to play Union now,  too many loses with brewers.

Of course. But I think I'm not the best player and Brewers are hard to master.