Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar Rok

How to Avarisse & Greede

Hey, I just got Avarisse and Greede, I'm using them with my FIsh right now, and am having trouble wrapping my head around them.  I played them into Farmers, and they generated probaby 5 MoM or more per turn. 

Any articles, or helpful tips on how to best utilize this pair of near do wellers?

Do you spit them up, then ups them at the end of the turn? 

How do you allocate for them? 

Are they an early round activation or late round? 

If they die is it the end of the world, (Greede died twice)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If Avarisse dies with Greede on him, Greede is not taken out. So it is not the end of the world. If Greede is taken out by himself, it's usually bad, because he gives up 2 VP, and he's unlikely to ever catch up to join up with Avarisse again, and the two of them do work best together. So, I recommend not leaving Greede on the pitch if you can help it.

Like all beaters, when they activate is dependant on game state. They need to be within 8" of a target, preferably one that doesn't have access to easy dodges. If they are within 5" they will reliably convert 5 Influence into 4 Momentum, as well as 6-9 damage + a Knockdown. Those numbers go up the lower the defense of their target is. Against a 4/1 model the activation goes like this:

Greede 2, Avarisse 3
Walk up, Drop Me Off!.
Greede buys an attack 4 dice, 1 net hit: Momentous Singled Out
Avarisse buys an attack 5+2 (Singled Out) +1(Crowd Out) dice, 3 net hit: Momentous 2 (+1 + KD from Thuggery)
Avarisse buys an attack 8 dice, 4 net hit: Momentous 3 (+1 from Thuggery)
Avarisse buys an attack 8 dice, 4 net hit: Momentous 3 (+1 from Thuggery)
Greede uses Pick Me Up!

Net Result: 4 Momentum, 11 damage, Knocked Down, Singled Out player engaged by Avarisse. If Avarisse starts wrapping (easy on 3 and 2 defense players) those numbers go up very quickly.

That's enough damage to kill a player that's already taken some damage, or set up that player to be taken out next activation. 

The thing to keep in mind, is that they're pretty slow, so if your opponent can stay out of their threat bubble. One of the things that makes them such excellent beaters though, is that they rarely have to worry about counter attacks. If you push Greede, he can just walk back in. If you save your counter attack for Avarisse, he has a KD on every column, and a double KD on 4.

As Fish, you have the best tools to get A&G into the fight, between Fisher's Lure, Drag and Tidal Surge.

1 hour ago, Merry Wanderer said:

If Avarisse dies with Greede on him, Greede is not taken out. So it is not the end of the world. If Greede is taken out by himself, it's usually bad, because he gives up 2 VP, and he's unlikely to ever catch up to join up with Avarisse again, and the two of them do work best together. So, I recommend not leaving Greede on the pitch if you can help it.

Like all beaters, when they activate is dependant on game state. They need to be within 8" of a target, preferably one that doesn't have access to easy dodges. If they are within 5" they will reliably convert 5 Influence into 4 Momentum, as well as 6-9 damage + a Knockdown. Those numbers go up the lower the defense of their target is. Against a 4/1 model the activation goes like this:

Greede 2, Avarisse 3
Walk up, Drop Me Off!.
Greede buys an attack 4 dice, 1 net hit: Momentous Singled Out
Avarisse buys an attack 5+2 (Singled Out) +1(Crowd Out) dice, 3 net hit: Momentous 2 (+1 + KD from Thuggery)
Avarisse buys an attack 8 dice, 4 net hit: Momentous 3 (+1 from Thuggery)
Avarisse buys an attack 8 dice, 4 net hit: Momentous 3 (+1 from Thuggery)
Greede uses Pick Me Up!

Net Result: 4 Momentum, 11 damage, Knocked Down, Singled Out player engaged by Avarisse. If Avarisse starts wrapping (easy on 3 and 2 defense players) those numbers go up very quickly.

That's enough damage to kill a player that's already taken some damage, or set up that player to be taken out next activation. 

The thing to keep in mind, is that they're pretty slow, so if your opponent can stay out of their threat bubble. One of the things that makes them such excellent beaters though, is that they rarely have to worry about counter attacks. If you push Greede, he can just walk back in. If you save your counter attack for Avarisse, he has a KD on every column, and a double KD on 4.

As Fish, you have the best tools to get A&G into the fight, between Fisher's Lure, Drag and Tidal Surge.

Well writtten, nicely done.

I can see them becoming even more valuable once you score that first Fish Goal w/Shark gaining that extra INF.  I think Hag could be their friend as well, since she brings 2, but rarely needs any. 

Thank you again.

Hag can also extend A&G's threat range with Fisher's Reel and her Legendary.

If the opponent has early dodges or pushes you might want to attack first with Avarisse to get the KD and then go for the Singled Out play with Greede.

Corsair with a friend(usually Tentacles) is great at setting up A&G as he can pre-KD an opponent's model (so you can attack with Greede first to get the Singled Out), push them into a better position/angle for A&G to approach and soften the target up a bit while offering a gang up to facilitate the wraps. With two gang ups (Let's say Corsair + Tentacles), you'll be wrapping on a KD'ed 4/1 55% of the time (70% if you bonus time or get an extra gang up).