• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Redtiger7

Removing Paint

Painting my plastic models and there are some parts of them I'm not happy with and would like to redo. What can I use to remove the paint?

On a small area? Try a cotton bud (q-tip, or whatever the local equivalent is) dipped in a little isopropyl alcohol if you have any. Rubbing alcohol, basically. You should be able to clean it away without too much surrounding paint damage (and without any real risk of damaging the model). 

Haven’t tried to strip a plastic fully yet so I don’t know how they respond to various chemicals, unfortunately.

I normally use Biostrip for stripping models. It removes paint without damaging the model underneath, plus it has the advantage of being easy on the skin.

2 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

The rubbing alcohol didn't work I'm afraid. 

To clarify, I don't want to strip the entire model, just certain parts. 

That's a different type of problem. I'd either paint over the dodgy parts, or just strip the entire model and start again.

19 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

The rubbing alcohol didn't work I'm afraid. 

To clarify, I don't want to strip the entire model, just certain parts. 

Hm... may be worth trying other types of paint stripper then, with the same technique. What paints did you use?

(I have 98% isopropyl alcohol, and it still takes a decent bit of rubbing to remove Vallejo acrylics, so if it’s a lower strength and a different paint it may just not quite be enough).

Or as @ningu said, paint over it if the existing paint is smooth and thin enough.

11 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Ah. My alcolohol is 75% and I misunderstood. I didn't scrub it. I'll have to try that.

Let me know how it goes, it should be strong enough but it can take some work :)