Sign in to follow this  
Varred

Captain pairings and ponderings

So as I am aiming for Hunters Guild after i paint pytanie Butchers, i have Vistę their forum and they have that topic that we seem to lack. That is which Cpt into which matchup and why. So let me share my (newbie) thoughts and feel free (obliged even) to share yours. 

Lets stary up the 'Paint Train' :

Masons - Fillet, i feel her speed and single dmg output is edging the Ox team dmg in this one. Also Fillet teams play Ball better than Ox's and vs Hammer that might come in handy

Brewers - Ox hands down. I made the mistake on the last match of the tournament this weekend and played Fillet into Brewers. Ox's aura is just too good against multiple Tough Hide. Then Come the fact that Tapper kills Fillet in one activation and she doesnt kill him and no matter what team, we play Ball worse than Brewers. 

Fishermem - no idea, probably Ox but it's Just because i am more comfortable with him right now

Alchemists - Fillet i think, Ox is too słów against Smoke to do anything and they never come close to make the aura worth it. Also this is the only matchupu i feeling Shank is a really big advantage on board. 

Engineers - Ox, the ability to make every model in a team a threat is great against them. High def means we will have low net hits so every point of damage counts (damn reanimate on the whole team) 

Union - Fillet i think. She might be able to take one or two pieces in an actuvation off of Rages team, Blackheart plays Ball so no real iea against him, just kill em before they Ball you to lose

Morticians - Fillet for me, speed + dmg potential is good and VOx is really good to get Obi to stick in one place i think, grab him into Fillet 1'' and destroy. 

Hunters - here, after reading the cards mailu as i played against them only once and on Vassal i think Ox is better. Again he makes the whole team a daner not only one model which u can Pin or Snare to uselesness. 

Blacksmiths - never played against them, but i feel Ox with Boiler and Boar would do much against them. 

Farmers - Ox Ox so much Ox, Thresher is far less scary (still mighty scary) vs Ox. Also Boar under Tool Up and Aura deals marvelous dmg. 

Mirror - Ox, Just because i feel him better, but Dmg potential is higher i think after Fillet nerf. 

That gives Ox-Fillet ratio of 7-4 

Okay i think thats all, didnt miss noone i hope. 

What are your thoughts fellow Butchers? 

Please share your knowledge. 

My take on it:

I take Ox into everything that is possible. A few matchups are better for Fillet, so I take her there. These matchups are:

Farmers: Ox prefers the scrum, Fillet is more like "pick models from the fringes and kill" them and you really don't want to get into a scrum with the farmers. And Fillet has a higher chance of surviving Thresher, Ox just gets deleted.

Blacksmiths: Both Fillet and Ox work very well into Blacksmiths, but Fillet works better into Burnish. So I just take Fillet.

Butchers: In the mirror, Fillet is just better.

3 hours ago, Mootaz said:

My take on it:

I take Ox into everything that is possible. A few matchups are better for Fillet, so I take her there. These matchups are:

Farmers: Ox prefers the scrum, Fillet is more like "pick models from the fringes and kill" them and you really don't want to get into a scrum with the farmers. And Fillet has a higher chance of surviving Thresher, Ox just gets deleted.

Blacksmiths: Both Fillet and Ox work very well into Blacksmiths, but Fillet works better into Burnish. So I just take Fillet.

I largely agree with you, except I've not tried the mirror, so can't really comment there. I'd also use Fillet vs morticians. Vet Ox shuts down BPM hilariously (oh, you've left a 3hp puppet in front of me, that you weren't expecting to care about losing? Well, thank you for letting me have the Owner this turn!) and Fillet has the dodges to cause them problems and the speed to get back into things if Obulus just puppet masters her away.

4 hours ago, Mootaz said:

My take on it:

Dont agree on Farmer matchup. Played thresher several times now and only W i could get where with Ox. Farmers dont love the scrum as much as Ox does. At least it felt that way playing him. If You are cautious enough You force Thresher to come into the scrum and then block the counter charge with Princess or either Brisket. From there it is an uphill battle for them in the scrum and not for us. 

20 hours ago, Mootaz said:

Absolutely don't agree that Fillet is better into Burnish. With a >> on 2 hits, re-inforced plating and reduction he is the last master I want to see in that matchup for Fillet. Ferrite is also pretty horrible for Fillet. I generally prefer Ox as the Legendary turn if popped at the right point is very scary for them, clumped up models and the damage bonus is generally pretty effective.

Alchemists - Generally Fillet for the threat range 

Blacksmiths - Noted above

Brewers - Preferably Ox as Fillet has a tough time into Esters. Tenderiser is gold against them too because of the lack of dodges.

Butchers - Played the mirror quite a few times. It really depends if I kick or receive. 100% fillet for kicking, but Ox receives the ball quite well

Engineers - Probably Fillet again, for the high defence model. Ox isn't bad into them though.

Farmers - Not quite found a team I'm happy with yet.

Fishermen - Either. Usually seeing Corsair which Ox doesn't mind too much if you can stop his drag (usually with the pup)

Hunters - Fillet probably, again for high defence and forcing Theron to shut her down. 

Masons - Generally Ox as Fillet struggles into the Brick/Marbles bubble a bit more.

Morticians - Fillet due to the fragile models that you can isolate and strange momentum generation mechanics. Plus what Ben said about BPM.

Ratcatchers - Ox probably. Fillet won't like the disease condition I dont think.

Union - Hard to call because of the big differences in captains. Ox is always good though since he doesn't need loaded up in the same way.

I've not really experienced Burnish yet, but I do agree that Ox has a really strong legendary into the smiths. I absolutely love playing against smiths. They've got models that are slow enough to pin down, and the apprentices are so light that any one of them can be killed in one activation most turns (I did some stats on Boar into each of them a while back, with 1 damage buff he's highly likely on pretty much any apprentice, so tool him up, mark a target, and have fun!)

I'm also thinking about Fillet over Ox into fish. I find Shark the absolute worst match up whichever captain, but at least with Fillet you've got a chance of catching some of them. That said, unless I was in some sort of crazy position where I was actually doing well, if I saw Shark against me and I hadn't drawn Knee Slider I'd probably just offer them the game and avoid wasting 30 minutes of my life watching them play the game on their own, which is how a Shark game usually feels :-).

Whenever I've played into hunters in the past they've always been quite keen to fight, so I'd have thought Ox would be fine into them. That said, it seems that people are playing them a bit more defensively nowadays, so maybe Fillet would be better. I don't think their tricks are much of a worry to either captain.

@Clanger I want to try Tenderiser into Brewers now. Do you get him out of the scrum and ground-pounding, or just held back as a keeper to knacker up Friday and Mash?

11 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

@Clanger I want to try Tenderiser into Brewers now. Do you get him out of the scrum and ground-pounding, or just held back as a keeper to knacker up Friday and Mash?

Hes just a great deterrent for models coming in due to the lack of dodges. Good at protecting the squishier set up pieces like Meathook and Ox. 

Don't get a huge amount of use with Groundpound but its a handy round ender.

5+ shots is a bonus not something I take him for against them as Friday and Mash are generally rolling 4 dice minimum.