Sign in to follow this  
Cole

Mortician Roster with Pelage and/or Skulk. Any ideas?

Okay, in about three hours I am going to the club, and I thought I might play the Morts again (a bit spontaneous, I know :D ). Does any of you have any advise with Pelage and Skulk? Should I use both? Only one of them? With which model? 

I think my opponent will play Farmers. He likes them. Any idea? It doesn't need to be Farmers Captain specific, I expect to lose anyway. :D

EDIT: This could be used as a general thread on how to use those guys anyway, so feel free to post general tips.

I'm only just looking at Mortician's whilst I wait for the rat catchers to arrive. Will have to proxy Pelage and Skulk for a while. I'm aware that most of you will choke on your frosties, but I'm going with: Scalpel, Vileswarm, Veteran Graves, Ghast, Pelage and Skulk. I'm leaving Bonesaw behind, not because he's rubbish but just because I don't like the cut of his jib!

Played Scalpel, Dirge, Cosset, Pelage, Skulk and vetGraves.

Didn't expect that. Pelage basically wrecked the Farmers and the rest of the roster cleaned up after her. vetGraves generated 6 points. Pelage destroyed Harrow for 2 points and Scalpel shot a goal. He destroyed Cosset with Tater but with Pelage we finally have two models that can deal significant damage, so no matter if he kills of Cosset OR Pelage, there is another model that can still pose as train without breaks. Skulk wasn't that useful, though he completely negated the first turn goal with Horrific Odour, so he did something.

Pelage created big headaches for my opponent, as at one point the Scarecrow, Tater AND Harrow were in her 2" aura. So satisfying. He opted for 3 damage. Didn't really matter which one he took, both was hard to deal with. And Pelage just wrapped herself to MVP status in the first game. I've got a new favorite model, she instantly clicked.

I think Pelage and Ghast can also pose a big problem. Though the extra two Influence for killing Grange also helped a lot. Would have played differently if I would not have gotten that Plot card.

Okay, I've put some thought over the day into it and came to a conclusion.

Scalpel, Dirge/Vileswarm, Pelage, Cosset/Bonesaw, vetGraves, Skulk/Casket/Ghast

Not sure about Vileswarm. If I wouldn't include Vileswarm I would instead bring

Scalpel, Dirge, Pelage, Cosset/Bonesaw, vetGraves/Graves, Casket/Ghast/Skulk

The Slots are meant to be seen as "These models go together", so for example Scalpel, Dirge, Pelage, Bonesaw, Graves, Ghast. The third slot model will be the last model I draft depending on what comes last from my opponent.

With Dirge being the only former source of Singled Out (trying to get used to No Union) Pelage is a must for vetGraves. But yeah, the Tac Bonus is quiet nice. Cosset also gives you Lure which is also really good for isolating. Before Pelage you would have the decision between Damage or Lure, having both is quiet nice. I guess I will try to use Pelage as Goalscorer next. She has some capability.

In the round after he should be able to hit a target that suffers KD and maybe Snared with one or two extra dice which is really intense. Though I played vs Farmers, which means no armor.

51 minutes ago, Cole said:

Okay, I've put some thought over the day into it and came to a conclusion.

Scalpel, Dirge/Vileswarm, Pelage, Cosset/Bonesaw, vetGraves, Skulk/Casket/Ghast

Not sure about Vileswarm. If I wouldn't include Vileswarm I would instead bring

Scalpel, Dirge, Pelage, Cosset/Bonesaw, vetGraves/Graves, Casket/Ghast/Skulk

The Slots are meant to be seen as "These models go together", so for example Scalpel, Dirge, Pelage, Bonesaw, Graves, Ghast. The third slot model will be the last model I draft depending on what comes last from my opponent.

Very cool to hear about your experiences. What was your thinking with regards to only running Scalpel as opposed to both Scalpel and Obulus or just Obulus? What do you see as her advantages in this list?

Since the S3 changes to Obulus, which were required but in my opinion are a complete overshoot, I highly prioritize Scalpel. Her legendary helps a lot, she can redistribute Influence (which unfortunately didn't worko on tater, but meh, Def 5), her Heroic gives nice repositioning options really good against counterchargers in my experience, or to just get a ball carrier further up the pitch and out of range of enemy models. Her wake the dead is actually useful when you play Cosset and Pelage, because I have never had a use for it. Her damage is good and a momentous pus dodge on 3 is in my opinion one of the better results Morticians have alltogether. Obulus' Playbook is just useless in my opinion, at least with the TAC5. Though I guess Pelages easy Singled Out may actually equalize that. Tooled up from Graves, Pelage Singles Out and Obulus goes ham. A bit boring, and I really love Scalpels run and gun playstyle, but eh. Obulus also has confidence. Could be interesting on Pelage. I don't really care that much about Puppetmaster to be honest. It's incredibly expensive and I prefer to still do things with my Inf besides spending 5 just to get the ball and pass it.

Lure is a big thing, that's also why I didn't use Obulus. It did its job. Pelage and Skulk change a lot about how their Roster works and it almost offsets vetGraves lack of Character Traits. 

Scalpel is really good at supporting the team offensively AND defensively and gives speed. I really want to use Bonesaw at some point because Pelage is another models with a kick of 3/6 which so far has been pretty sparse in the Morts, and Scalpel, Pelage and Graves or vetGraves deliver 3/6 so Football Dervish is much more relevant.

I disagree about obulus being weak now. Especially with access to singled out, he has a decent playbook. 

Vet graves is the major discussion piece for me. His playbook is decent and he can fill a similar role to ghast with crowd control. His main problem has always been -1 tac and wanting to hit his 3 column.  Now he can. 

41 minutes ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I disagree about obulus being weak now. Especially with access to singled out, he has a decent playbook. 

Vet graves is the major discussion piece for me. His playbook is decent and he can fill a similar role to ghast with crowd control. His main problem has always been -1 tac and wanting to hit his 3 column.  Now he can. 

I mean, that's what I said. :D 

28 minutes ago, Selfy said:

Weak, or strong, the overriding factor, for me, is that Obulus is a dickhead.

Agreed. Though I prefer agression.

Last week I played the following into Smoke/Alchemists:

Scalpel, Vileswarm, vGraves, BP/M, Skulk, Pelage

This was meant to be something of a fun list and it worked pretty well.  I used Pelage to set up Scalpel to remove models from the pitch.  Pelage's passive traits put a lot of pressure on my opponent, even if her attack rolls were lackluster.  The Alchemists were able to put out multiple conditions out every turn, so a lot of my momentum was used for healing.  Pelage was very vulnerable to auto conditions due to her low health.  VetGraves actually performed well, and Smoke struggled to get the ball from him.

On 05/02/2018 at 6:39 PM, Selfy said:

Weak, or strong, the overriding factor, for me, is that Obulus is a dickhead.

No, he's the chief dickhead 

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Cole said:

1°) ....Pelage destroyed Harrow for 2 points ...

2°) And Pelage just wrapped herself to MVP status in the first game.

1°) Could you tell me how please ?

2°) What is MVP ?

Thanks

44 minutes ago, Leader9-1 said:

1°) Could you tell me how please ?

2°) What is MVP ?

Thanks

Harrow was engaged by vetGraves and she put Singled Out on him. He knew Scalpel would kill him for 2 points and then score a goal. He tried to walk away and completely forgot her damage, so she rolled her parting blow and did an additional 6 damage to the... I don't know, 15 or so she did to him after applying Singled Out. She's a beast against Male models.

MVP means most valuable player.

Edit: Oh also he chose Snared at the end of the activation, though there wasn't really a good choice for him at this point.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:13 AM, Cole said:

Since the S3 changes to Obulus, which were required but in my opinion are a complete overshoot, I highly prioritize Scalpel. Her legendary helps a lot, she can redistribute Influence (which unfortunately didn't worko on tater, but meh, Def 5), her Heroic gives nice repositioning options really good against counterchargers in my experience, or to just get a ball carrier further up the pitch and out of range of enemy models. Her wake the dead is actually useful when you play Cosset and Pelage, because I have never had a use for it. Her damage is good and a momentous pus dodge on 3 is in my opinion one of the better results Morticians have alltogether. Obulus' Playbook is just useless in my opinion, at least with the TAC5. Though I guess Pelages easy Singled Out may actually equalize that. Tooled up from Graves, Pelage Singles Out and Obulus goes ham. A bit boring, and I really love Scalpels run and gun playstyle, but eh. Obulus also has confidence. Could be interesting on Pelage. I don't really care that much about Puppetmaster to be honest. It's incredibly expensive and I prefer to still do things with my Inf besides spending 5 just to get the ball and pass it.

Lure is a big thing, that's also why I didn't use Obulus. It did its job. Pelage and Skulk change a lot about how their Roster works and it almost offsets vetGraves lack of Character Traits. 

Scalpel is really good at supporting the team offensively AND defensively and gives speed. I really want to use Bonesaw at some point because Pelage is another models with a kick of 3/6 which so far has been pretty sparse in the Morts, and Scalpel, Pelage and Graves or vetGraves deliver 3/6 so Football Dervish is much more relevant.

I know it's blasphemy, but when I played Obulus pre-adjustments, I would rarely use PuppetMaster, and usually just had him go off with his beat stick, or score, or perhaps both. Something to be said about just seeing that old man just destroy folks, and then score. It was always the threat of PUppetMaster that I thought adjusted my opponent's play style. 

I haven't played Morts in quite some time, focusing on my Fish, but when RatCatchers come out, I'll more than likely be alternating evenly between MOrts/FIsh when I play. I sorely miss playing Morts, but my main opponent is a Farmers player, and I've seen him destroy Obulus' Morts on too many occasions for that to be fun for me. 

How is playtesting going with these 2?  Skulk seems very, very good and plays so much better then just a goalie.  His ability to harass up field is very good.  I haven't used Pelage and wonder if she's not going to be a trap.

And not just her but building around her.  People building with VGraves with her seems insane.   Regular Graves is better in every way and if you are going for the Scalpel scoring team he's insanely better then the vet version.   He's better for damage, better for control, better for eating momentum.  Enables other fighters better.   People think it's cute to finally play him because of Pelage being new, hence her being a trap.

Scalpel, Dirge, Graves, Bonesaw, Pelage, BP&M could be a really interesting scoring/fighting combo.

I’ve only gotten One game in with her and she’s is strong. Obulus with tac 7 Is great

memory with singled out and snared on stuff.

i don’t think building with her as a lynch pin is a good idea but every player benefits from singled out and snared