• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
FUSEWV

The Quench: The Starting 6 or The Right Tools for the Right Job

Nice post, I've been thinking some similar thoughts. My one problem issue, not with your opinions, but with my own roster design is Bolt. This dude is unreal, especially considering Stamina and "I'm Open". I guess the problem is I want all of the models on the pitch at the same time...

I'm also processing through a 3 goal line-up that looks like this, for the days when you've got to out ball em.

• Ferrite (c)
  • Hearth
  • Farris
  • Bolt
  • Alloy
  • Iron

I play that exact lineup as well, and boy does it get the goals. It’s a solid lineup, it just struggles for takeouts if you need them in the clutch. 

I have nearly finished painting all 12.

I am arranging a reason for Bolt to be in the air. He is the figure with least paint on.

Good information in your article.

Would the Captain generating an extra INF be an unreasonable request of Steamforged?

On 2/2/2018 at 6:29 PM, Seacitygamer said:

Nice post, I've been thinking some similar thoughts. My one problem issue, not with your opinions, but with my own roster design is Bolt. This dude is unreal, especially considering Stamina and "I'm Open". I guess the problem is I want all of the models on the pitch at the same time...

I'm also processing through a 3 goal line-up that looks like this, for the days when you've got to out ball em.

• Ferrite (c)
  • Hearth
  • Farris
  • Bolt
  • Alloy
  • Iron

This is my 3-0 lineup as well with the flex spot being for cinder and iron flip flopping. 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:20 AM, FUSEWV said:

Come check out my article on the Smiths you should be starting!

http://mountaineersguild.com/wp/?p=499

Nice article, was wondering how your games are coming out as a 2-2 seems to be your goal. I have had more issues with 2-2 games than any other I have tried with Blacksmiths. I have gone 7-1 in tournament with them and haven't lost a game with Farris and Bolt on the field going 3-0. Only loss was to Masons (I don't play against them often) and I chose to take furnace and cinder vs farris and bolt. 

1 hour ago, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

This is my 3-0 lineup as well with the flex spot being for cinder and iron flip flopping. 

Agreed, this is now pretty much almost my line up switching in and out Bolt with Cinder instead.

15 hours ago, Rendorin said:

Agreed, this is now pretty much almost my line up switching in and out Bolt with Cinder instead.

That would be an interesting line-up. What is the general gameplan with Farris w/o bolt? I haven't tried it yet. 

2 hours ago, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

That would be an interesting line-up. What is the general gameplan with Farris w/o bolt? I haven't tried it yet. 

I feel that Farris is still viable without Bolt as she brings a key ability to success with the 3-0 game which is the Character Play "Quick Foot", which is also not OPT.

She also has an excellent movement stat, in itself, which allows her to play a good midfield enforcer roll with just 1 MOM; if required through use of the "Impact" trait.  That combined with her 2" melee and "Sentinel" make her a good all round support piece for the other apprentices.

Cinder I feel is better at releasing up the deadball game and if tooled up potentially has a greater goal threat than Bolt.  She has a base 6"/8" move (which could also be bolstered with Quick Foot) and a not too miserly 3/8" kick stat.  This combined with Hearths bolstering abilities makes her a very viable goal threat, who can max out on 4 influence if required.

You then have 4 viable goal threats in Ferrite, Iron, Alloy and Cinder the latter being able to clear up better on a dead ball game and get the rest of the team moving. With Hearth and Farris providing a strong supporting role.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:25 PM, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

Nice article, was wondering how your games are coming out as a 2-2 seems to be your goal. I have had more issues with 2-2 games than any other I have tried with Blacksmiths. I have gone 7-1 in tournament with them and haven't lost a game with Farris and Bolt on the field going 3-0. Only loss was to Masons (I don't play against them often) and I chose to take furnace and cinder vs farris and bolt. 

My 2-2 is fine. Usually what happens though is I end up at 2 goals, and one takeout. My opponent then attempts to avoid the second takeout and I manage the third goal.