Balrog

DC area Guildball groups?

Greetings all,

Longtime lurker here. I've been playing Guildball with friends for a while now, but have never found the time to fully enter the community. I live in Washington DC and was wondering if there were any groups in the area that meet regularly. I've looked online and there are a couple of stores in the area (Labyrinth, DreamWizards,  etc.), but none of them have any information about Guildball on their websites. My search is made a touch more difficult by the fact that I don't have a facebook, so can't find groups that way.

Was wondering if there are any DC area guildballers here that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Nice to have your here...hope there are more lurkers in your area. :P The Pundit map seems to show a couple of spots in the area that might... Dream Wizards in Rockville and GC Pairodice in Fairfax both have Pundits... might try and contact them. The Pundit map has some contact numbers.  Have never been in the area myself...so not sure exactly how close those are to you.

Edited by Malritch
additional information added

There is a Capital Guild Ball group on Facebook which a lot of events and get togethers are announced.

A few of us normally meet on Sundays at Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie. Though this weekend there is a tournament in VA which we will be attending instead of our normal sunday games.

Do you have twitter? Hit up @wanderson603 Ashburn Virgina, your backyard, is home to one of the largest GB tournaments in the country!

Another New DC area player here. I'm right near Dream Wizards and/or Play More Games in Gaithersburg. Play More Games seems to clearing out their Guildball stock, so I don't know if anybody plays up there. I'd love to get something going on the NW side of the beltway.

@abdiel

That is good to hear. I live in the NW quadrant of the city, so a lot of the places on the south side of the beltway are a bit out of my (convenient) reach. I contacted Dream Wizards and they apparently don't have much in the way of Guild Ball going on right now. I've never been to Dream Wizards or Play More Games, but I am sure that they have open tables where games could be played. I'd love to meet up at some point and get a game in if you've got the time. I'm sure if we played at Play More Games or Dream Wizards then other players would eventually come out of the woodwork. There's no way we are the only players in the NW area. 

Let me know if you are interested in getting together for a game and I'll drop you a PM with my contact info.

Thanks

A lot of us meet up no the regular on sundays.

We are now rotating between two different store with one of them being a new location.

Normally Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie.

New store Gritty Goblin Games in Fulton which is a little north of Laurel.

This sunday we are having a Blacksmith 2 release event at Gritty Goblin.

@Jynxed85

That sounds like fun! Games and Stuff and Gritty Goblin are a bit further from me, but I've got a car so its no big deal I suppose. 

I'm free Sunday and would love to come. As previously mentioned I don't have any social media, so facebook is out. How would I contact y'all and sign up?

No need to pre-sign up! Just show up and play some games! Store is open 11am-6pm with most of us playing as many games as we can under the unique format.

I don't know the full detail yet since I havent seen the Blacksmith Wave 2 release format. Its a fun alternative format. Trying to dig up any info that I can.

Hey all!

We've got a solid community in the MD area, and Gritty Goblin Games (new store) in Fulton is onboard with supporting the scene.

We just had the Blacksmiths 2 release event there this past sunday, and next saturday will be their first tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/events/141414456671548/

As mentioned above, Capital Guild Ball is the general FB page for the MD/VA/PA area, and we're looking to alternate our weekends between Games and Stuff, and Gritty Goblin, to make sure as much of MD is covered.

My name's Yann, so hope to see you on the pitch. :)

7 hours ago, Devilsquid said:

...make sure as much of MD is covered.

Living off 270, that still puts the closest location an hour away. Not complaining, just sad that there's nothing closer. With non-gaming kids, a two hour round trip just isn't feasible.

On 2/27/2018 at 4:05 PM, abdiel said:

Living off 270, that still puts the closest location an hour away. Not complaining, just sad that there's nothing closer. With non-gaming kids, a two hour round trip just isn't feasible.

Yeah, that spot is tricky to get to. Play more games had stock, but I haven't been there in a while, and Dreamwizards simply doesn't count.

Hopefully you come out for some events @abdiel when you can.

This doesn't necessarily help for your 270 commute, but there's a thriving (and growing) new Guild Ball community of a little over a dozen players just off the beltway in Springfield, VA at Curio Cavern that I'm the PoC for (Pundit application is in, so hopefully I'll be approved for that soon).  We've run a kickabout league, all launch events since the Blacksmiths1 back in November, and a small tourney so far and are set up to host our first major tournament on April 14th.

Outside of events, we play in the shop Wednesday afternoons/evenings and are often around Fridays and Saturdays.  You can find me on Facebook as "Wake Drannor" if you have any questions or interest in joining us- we'd love to have you!

On 3/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, Devilsquid said:

Dreamwizards simply doesn’t count

I’ll say this for Dream Wizards. They do seems to be slowly stocking product. A month ago all they had was Kick-Off. Then a few weeks ago they got Old Father’s harvest in, and now theyve got one of the Blacksmith team boxes in (with extra figure). So the potential is there, while Play More Games seems to just be clearing out their old stock. 

36 minutes ago, abdiel said:

I’ll say this for Dream Wizards. They do seems to be slowly stocking product. A month ago all they had was Kick-Off. Then a few weeks ago they got Old Father’s harvest in, and now theyve got one of the Blacksmith team boxes in (with extra figure).

I think DW is in a similar place stock-wise to Curio Cavern in Springfield.  Curio orders all the new stuff, and will usually have a few things on the shelves (they currently have three Old Father's Harvest and three alt. Millstones), but they don't have the space or inventory overhead to stock everything.  The manager at Curio is great about ordering stuff quickly, though, with fast turnaround times.

@Fish-in-a-Beer How regularly are there people playing at Curio Cavern?  I'm out in capital hill and am looking to get into guildball. I have a mortician team painted up but have yet to play a game with them. 

On 4/4/2018 at 1:32 PM, Veskit2k said:

How regularly are there people playing at Curio Cavern?  I'm out in capital hill and am looking to get into guildball. I have a mortician team painted up but have yet to play a game with them. 

Hi @Veskit2k- we've got people there pretty much every Wednesday night.  We've got a good spread of teachers and graduate students in the crew, so every once in a while, homework/grading will overwhelm the masses and we'll miss a week, but we're there most days and would love to see you!

We've also got a tourney going next weekend (Saturday the 14th), and like @Devilsquid, I or somebody else who are just hanging out during the event will likely be free to get a game in if you want to stop by- it'll depend on final numbers in case I have to go in as a ringer, but should be OK.

If you want, you can connect with me directly on Facebook, too- my username is Wake Drannor.

Hope to see you out sometime!

@Fish-in-a-Beer I guess I should have checked this thread sooner.  Can't make it to the tourney but I'll definitely check out the Wednesday group cat Curio Cavern.  I'm afraid I don't have a Facebook account but hopefully I'll see you there.