• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Rob

Damage Trackers

The muse ones only seem to do 1-6, so they may not work too well.

I’ve been pondering this problem myself lately - I like the dials for my blacksmiths, but (obviously) my morticians don’t have them. Trying to figure out a convenient way to make myself some. I have ideas, but I need to try a few bits out...

3 hours ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I wanted to use those at first, but I didn't liked that they can roll around the place and didn't want to build a support so  bought magic commander life counter and I am happy with them.

They are bigger than I thougt tho, approx as big as a miniature

https://www.amazon.fr/Commanders-Arsenal-Spindown-Life-Counter/dp/B00LORKP80

6 hours ago, Chriscdoa said:

I'm really not keen. I can't see the opponent health easily, and they're easy to nudge by accident. 

But each to their own

I agree I don't use them at all.  I didn't even punch out the ones for my plastic team's. 

As a genuine question, because I think it’s a great idea for both players to be able to see the health of both models at a glance (and as you say, spinners don’t do that), what do you use @Chriscdoa @polluxx66?

I use magnets. I have one magnet on the bottom and one on the top. This allows me to slide the magnet along the card to indicate current health. It's like marking damage on the card but easier to heal.

I print out the cards (one: because I can have the front and back printed side by side for easier viewing, two: because errattas and changes) I put a piece os sticky transparent plastic (though I suppose transpaerent tape would work) over the health dots and use an erasable marker.

Does that make it significantly easier for the opponent to see though? A card with small dots on at the other side of the table isn’t something I can usually see quickly in enough detail to know what health everything has (also, I often flip a card face down when it’s activated, which means no one can see it without picking it up). I kind of assumed people had other solutions to what I do already, that were easier for their opponent :D

There’s always asking of course, which is what I do when I don’t know the health of a model, but that’s no different to if my opponent is using dials, or an app I don’t have etc. 

6 minutes ago, Mako said:

There’s always asking of course, which is what I do when I don’t know the health of a model, but that’s no different to if my opponent is using dials, or an app I don’t have etc. 

Yep, that's usually what's done. Sometimes I even tell them if they're new (linkinging back to the NPE thread. LOL)

2 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Yep, that's usually what's done. Sometimes I even tell them if they're new (linkinging back to the NPE thread. LOL)

Darn, I was hoping someone had a genius method for showing both players each model's health automatically!

Like a scoreboard that also has health totals on it for everyone, although that would be a loooong scoreboard :D

1 hour ago, Mako said:

Darn, I was hoping someone had a genius method for showing both players each model's health automatically!

Like a scoreboard that also has health totals on it for everyone, although that would be a loooong scoreboard :D

Ooooooo!

Brain spinning up into thinking mode. 

Arduino and lots of small 7-segment LED displays and buttons. 

It should be doable. 

1 hour ago, Jotnebane said:

Ooooooo!

Brain spinning up into thinking mode. 

Arduino and lots of small 7-segment LED displays and buttons. 

It should be doable. 

I had that exact same thought!  It's an elaborate, over-the-top solution to a rather pedestrian problem, but it would be amazing!  If you do this, you should definitely share the script/materials required.  :)

10 minutes ago, JimO said:

I had that exact same thought!  It's an elaborate, over-the-top solution to a rather pedestrian problem, but it would be amazing!  If you do this, you should definitely share the script/materials required.  :)

I've thought a bit more about it and it's truly over the top and would need 16 seven segment LEDs if you also want to track moment and points. and thats just for one team. I guess a potentiometer could be used to adjust the numbers so you don't need so many buttons.

Truly a monsterous build and I think I'll leave it at that.

But a digital scorboard is a lot simpler.

26 minutes ago, Jotnebane said:

I've thought a bit more about it and it's truly over the top and would need 16 seven segment LEDs if you also want to track moment and points. and thats just for one team. I guess a potentiometer could be used to adjust the numbers so you don't need so many buttons.

Truly a monsterous build and I think I'll leave it at that.

But a digital scorboard is a lot simpler.

You could go with a pair of LCD mini screens, that had spaces for the name and health of each model for each team, and a central one with momentum, score and clock for both teams. It’s insanely over the top, of course, but if/when I build a board it’ll happen, and be housed in a sculpted frame :P

10 hours ago, Mako said:

As a genuine question, because I think it’s a great idea for both players to be able to see the health of both models at a glance (and as you say, spinners don’t do that), what do you use @Chriscdoa @polluxx66?

For damage I use the card and show or hand it over.  

My dislike of them is the nudgeing and lack of accuracy.  That being said card also have that problem because as the name impllies dry/wet erase is also not permanent :). 

We only use the cards but we normally check during the maintenance phase how every model is standing health wise.

Enough extra space on the table also help so you don't smudge the cards during play.

Also I think the same goes for any other good relationships communication is the key!

I use cards and markers, but have been playing against people using tablet apps.  I found myself thinking it would be cool if there was an app that both players could use, that would sync up and let me see my opponents health stats in real time as they get updated from the other side of the table.

3 hours ago, Intergalactic Slacks said:

I use cards and markers, but have been playing against people using tablet apps.  I found myself thinking it would be cool if there was an app that both players could use, that would sync up and let me see my opponents health stats in real time as they get updated from the other side of the table.

Don't If they have synced up yet but there are some Apps: GBscrum/Tooled up etc.

With warmachine you can use War Room and get an (inter)active game this needs an internet connection though so I don't know how tournament capable this is.