• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

Played 2nd Tournament

Played in my second tournament now with the Morticians. It went four rounds, will give the breakdown on my match ups.

Round 1 (Mort on Mort)

My picks: Obulus, Dirge, Skulk, Ghast, Casket, and Graves

Opponents: Obulus, Dirge, Mist, Brainpan/Memory, Graves, and Casket

Won 12-0 (Casket time, goal, and two other take outs) I felt like in this match up I knew it would be a mirror, Scalpel doesn't like on the 2" melee with KD's. When he picked Brainpan and then Mist, I knew if I played heavy 2" with a lot of counters to him wanting the get at least one Casket Time off in the game I would be okay. I was able to isolate and kill most the game, kicking off helped my Obulus a lot because it got him up the board, we both Heavy Burdened each others Obulus's a lot. Though I felt I had way more hitting power on my side of the pitch. I just out grinded him and once I Casketed his Mist, his biggest goal threat was taken out of the game. This really swung the game in my favor. 

Round 2 (Mort on Union)

My picks: Obulus, Dirge, Skulk, Ghast, Casket, and Graves

Opponents: VRage, Turtle, Mist, Benediction, Gutter, and Minx

Won 12-4 (Casket time, goa, and two other take outs) I've played into this match quit a bit against really good players and felt like I knew what to expect. I also have played Union a lot as well. I was able to early on isolate Minx for a casket time, and this heavy burden Gutter. This left Ghast as the only model in the Union players threat range. With Fear, and Rising Anger I was able to keep Gutter out of combat, thus negating Red Fury, and then took her out. Later Obulus was able to create a goal him self, while the rest of my team just jacked up Benny. The opposing player did miss a tap in goal with VRage, after I knocked the ball out, and it scattered to him. All in all a good game.

Round 3 (Mort on Fish)

My picks: Oddly the same 

Opponents: Shark, Tentacles, Greyscales, Hag, Sakana, Siren 

Won: 12-8 (Casket time and all take outs) I played cat and mouse all game. Think for two turns Ghast held the ball an inch outside the goal, with Skulk doing his thing. This made the Fish player use a ton of resources to just try and get the ball back. The game was played in my deployment pretty much the whole game. I casket timed Siren, and all the rest where take outs. Was a slow grind of a game, and did all I could to keep that last goal from happening in the process to winning. Think I puppeted Shark on three turns just to keep him out of the action most of the game. Which worked out because he had to then load Shark up, just to try and get back into the game. Tough match, always is for me against Shark led Fish.

Round 4 (Mort on Farmers-or really Thresher)

My picks: I finally received so switched out Skulk for Mist, the rest stayed as they where

Opponents: Thresher with Donkey you all know the rest

Lost 10-12 (Two goals and a take out) So I think I lost the game because I was really dumb on the end of the turn I didn't pre-measure Thresher's threat and left Mist in a position to be killed on the following turn. At this point the game was 10-6. My influence allocation was stupid as well and I think this comes with tournament fatigue. The Mort's have so many options to do things in wonky ways that sometimes you just over think shit. I knew Mist was dead and that would give him the 8, and I brain farted Jackstraw movement ports. Once his turn started I realized my mistake. I could have loaded up Graves, with 4 influence, and sprinted base to base, tackle the ball and kicked it into dead space. Instead I was so focused on the take out of Thresher once I knew he would commit to Mist, that I didn't see the Scarecrow goal coming. Think that was my biggest screw up all game. Felt like I played it well. Used Casket to heavy burden Thresher for three rounds, tying him up on taking Casket out.  Used Ghast as a momentum generated and unmasked on Thresher to push him out of position. Though even when playing great on Thresher, there seems to always come the point where his take out train starts rolling and there is no stopping it. Took out Tater early to negate him, scored with Mist, and even setup a goal with Ghast (LOL). I had multiple models in threat to close the deal, but like I said forgot the Scarecrow. Had the clock on my side too. Here is the thing, the other player did great, and took advantage of my mistake, so good on him. Was a good game regardless, think I am getting better at Thresher, but still is a pain to play into. 

Got 2nd in the Tournament!

Sounds like you played great, interesting games! You seem to enjoy playing Ghast and Casket in the same list, do you feel that the one less influence hurts your gameplay? 

Other then the Fish game felt like the teams I ran into had access a take out a turn. Think Casket is a monster to remove and forces more effort to get rid of, and then Ghast gives me a 2" with early knockdown. Ghast, fear, also steals an attack and against certain killer types it can save a takeout. Players constantly during time turns forget the extra influence allocation for fear, but found the combo of Ghast/Skulk killing the ball is really great. What I will do is give Ghast the ball, and have Skulk put out at least Horrific Odor. This creates for most strikers to tackle the ball the need to have at minimum 4 influence. They will need two to get the ball off Ghast, they can't buy a second attack to dodge off him because they then need two to kick the goal. This leaves them engaged, and if I have at least 1 momentum, I counter attack, and hopefully KD. If they pull off the goal, their striker is in a bad way, if they dodge after the goal, Skulk engages, and then Ghast beats the hell outta them afterwards. Most players just don't think about the combo, it's two extra influence to keep planning for. Playing at 12 isn't bad, I push an early goal, and I am at 13 pretty fast after turn or two. When I played Fish, they had to constantly load up Shark, between Puppet, and the Ghast/Skulk combo, there was turns he just couldn't even attempt a goal. He ended up sacrificing models to just trigger fear, which is fine with me.