Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Mako

      Training Ground   02/14/2018

      There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Jotnebane

Wrecker, anyone use him much

Recommended Posts

I've played Brick and Marbles in every one of my 10+ games so far but I'm considering taking Wrecker out for a test run.

On paper Ramming speed / Rollerball looks it's perfect against every 1" melee model out there and TAC 4 strikers can't do that much against him without help. 

So how to best use him, to push models towards the scrum or vlear a path for Flint or someone else on a scoring run?

How do you get the most out of him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowadays I use Wrecker a lot, and I really like the style of him. The first turn I pushed all my models 2" forward (except Hammer), after than I used him depending the situation. On the one hand I clear the path when I want to charg somebody, or want to free one of my models, on the other hand I try to push an enemy model out from the pitch for example. In total, I really like this Mascot, and I always use him with the Hammertime Team, but in the near future I want to try hiim w Honour, just for the experience :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zozo said:

Nowadays I use Wrecker a lot, and I really like the style of him. The first turn I pushed all my models 2" forward (except Hammer), after than I used him depending the situation. On the one hand I clear the path when I want to charg somebody, or want to free one of my models, on the other hand I try to push an enemy model out from the pitch for example. In total, I really like this Mascot, and I always use him with the Hammertime Team, but in the near future I want to try hiim w Honour, just for the experience :)

I think you've been misreading Wrecker's ability. It's not like Iron. Wrecker's Ramming Speed ability only triggers on enemy models, not friendly ones.

He's a great addition for when you want to push someone into range of your team, or push someone out of the scrum. With Follow Up and That's Not The Ball, he's also a menace to deal with for strikers that don't have buyable dodges. I like playing him with Hammer against teams that would rather not have Hammer get too close (Alchemists, Hunters, Morticians).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used him to push Soren off the board last week.  It was glorious.  Even as a crowd out he almost never gets attacked due to his stats.  There is almost always an easier target. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nykolae said:

I think you've been misreading Wrecker's ability. It's not like Iron. Wrecker's Ramming Speed ability only triggers on enemy models, not friendly ones.

He's a great addition for when you want to push someone into range of your team, or push someone out of the scrum. With Follow Up and That's Not The Ball, he's also a menace to deal with for strikers that don't have buyable dodges. I like playing him with Hammer against teams that would rather not have Hammer get too close (Alchemists, Hunters, Morticians).

Thank you very much for the correcting!!! In my local meta one of my friend told me that trick, and It was my fault that I didn't read his card, just believed my friend's words!

In that case, I apologize about my wrong advice. But Wrecker still very good to pust out from the Pitch the enemy models, or get free your models :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally always bring Wrecker (AND Marbles) in my 10 man team for Masons.  I always run him with Hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kryzak said:

I generally always bring Wrecker (AND Marbles) in my 10 man team for Masons.  I always run him with Hammer.

Who are the last 6 in your 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jotnebane said:

Who are the last 6 in your 10?

Honour, Hammer, Harmony, Flint, Mallet, Tower.

I don't use Brick that often anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kryzak said:

Honour, Hammer, Harmony, Flint, Mallet, Tower.

I don't use Brick that often anymore.  

Honour, Hammer, Marbles, Wrecker, Harmony, Flint, Mallet and Tower. That's 8; who are the remaining two? :) (Honour and Hammer were a given, I assume)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Honour, Hammer, Marbles, Wrecker, Harmony, Flint, Mallet and Tower. That's 8; who are the remaining two? :) (Honour and Hammer were a given, I assume)

Apparently a bunch of us can't do math ;)  He asked "who's the last 6 in your 10" and I just replied without thinking about whether it added to 10 or not. :P

With 2 more, I'd usually take Brick and Mist.  Sometimes Chisel and Mist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrecker is good. Never take him with Honour (obviously) but I think he's the best mascot to take with Hammer. Both mascots work well with Hammer however, so I'm not saying people are dumb for not using him.

He is a great model go help the scrum go in your favour. He activates and pushes one enemy model out of the scrum (1 less enemy crowd out) and then he joins the scrum for a friendly crowd out. It's kinda like the Fishermans Hag- but doesn't suffer from being a juicy target for a take-out.

Alternatively he can simply engage an enemy model who has no influence to prevent them re-positioning in their activation. This works best against strikers who have already scored the turn before. Either they pop their unpredictable movement on a dumb mascot with no influence and leave themselves vulnerable to hammer or their striker can't get into position to receive the ball until they pump influence and an activation into disengaging with a mascot. The knockdown on 2 hits is awesome for a parting blow.

The way he passively shapes the midfield is extremely valuable considering you're giving him no influence. As a Hammer player, the main tools you have to make a scrum work in your favour are;

-Brick's counter charge bubble

-Hammer using knockback defensively to run away from the enemy team

-Wrecker pushing stuff around and being a medium base in the centre of the pitch that isn't worth killing

I often feel that mason's are at a disadvantage in the scrum once Brick can't feasibly become disengaged because the other team has more 2 inch reach and therefore more crowding out. Wrecker helps mitigate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×