Mattyg2787

Morticians post rat catchers

So now that we've seen pelage and skulk, how is everyone feeling knowing we are about to lose mist. 

I played an event yesterday where I went 2-2 and didn't run mist at all. My two games I lost were because I derped.  One was where I sunk too many pointless attacks into Corsair, the other I got cosset killed twice.

Curious what everyone else's thought's are

I like to run a 3 goal team of Obs, Dirge, Graves, BP&M, Bonesaw and Mist.

Gives me two midfield goal threats with Obs and Memory, Bonesaw and Mist on wings to threaten T1 goals and Graves running interference / supporting Bonesaw 's 1" melee to hook the ball if needed.

This style of play is going to suffer as Mist is there to distract opponent from the others and / or give me a quick route to goal that doesn't require jank and a ton of clock time / passing risks.

It is a very hit and miss style which either fails due to wiffed rolls or ball killing or gets to 12 before the opponent realises 3 goal Morts is a thing so while fun I don't think is reliable for reaching top tables. 

In this sense I personally will be very sad to see Mist go as I've been playing this style since season 1, but going for 2-2 is definitely not going to suffer long term but the goals will just require more thought than 'get the ball to Mist on 4 inf'. BP&M and Obs can easily get goals down the middle and Pelage should help up our reliable damage amounts.

My best tourny results have incidentally come from pure Morts teams and usually by our lesser used players catching out opponents. 

(Still secretly hoping Vet Hemlocke ends up being a striker though😉)

I’m thinking pelage and Scalpel could be friends - reanimate will give her more good chances to get grim caress to be painful, singled out is always nice...

Could be a laugh, anyway!

Skulk has been doing well for me as a whole against score focused teams. I am really looking forward to start testing Pelage. Both Captains will really like her, and think she is a better option then Cosset is as of now.

4 minutes ago, LouisvillePitch said:

..., and think she is a better option then Cosset is as of now.

And this make me think. ..why we get this Player?  Why we dont get something new. ..no guild need simple Player substitudes

Agree though she is a better Cosset I believe have to test her out. Again, I am sure everyone is tired of hearing it, but just do something to make Bonesaw viable on a consistent basis is the bigger issue.

22 minutes ago, LouisvillePitch said:

Skulk has been doing well for me as a whole against score focused teams. I am really looking forward to start testing Pelage. Both Captains will really like her, and think she is a better option then Cosset is as of now.

I can see her serving as a Cosset amplifier - she goes in, slaps singled out on things, drags down some health, then Cosset finishes things off with very little inf. But I’m just idly theorising, and I have a tendency to get Cosset stuck in melee by accident :P

I have a love/hate relationship with cosset. She will charge one game and dish out 10+ damage (record was 18 on the charge) then she gets killed by a stiff breeze. 

Pelage will have her own set of problems but unless your opponent kills her in a single activation, she's going to start printing money. 

1 hour ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I have a love/hate relationship with cosset. She will charge one game and dish out 10+ damage (record was 18 on the charge) then she gets killed by a stiff breeze. 

Pelage will have her own set of problems but unless your opponent kills her in a single activation, she's going to start printing money. 

I feel very similarly. Cosset is so fragile, I find that even when she does dish out a ton of damage, it is highly likely the enemy gets a free kill off of her in retaliation. 

With a 5 defensive, Pelage should be more resilient, even with the lamentable 10 HP. This, and the fact that her abilities would likely mean and could be a slightly more reliable damage dealer than Cosset. As someone pointed out, if you do run Scalpel, the reanimate synergy is particularly good with Pelage. 

8 hours ago, DrDoak said:

I feel very similarly. Cosset is so fragile, I find that even when she does dish out a ton of damage, it is highly likely the enemy gets a free kill off of her in retaliation. 

With a 5 defensive, Pelage should be more resilient, even with the lamentable 10 HP. This, and the fact that her abilities would likely mean and could be a slightly more reliable damage dealer than Cosset. As someone pointed out, if you do run Scalpel, the reanimate synergy is particularly good with Pelage. 

The other thing with pelage is they can't generate momentum by killing her. (Well 1 for the final shot)

So realistically, it's 3--5 inf to kill her for 1 momentum and 2 damage

Reanimate on Pelage is actually quite a cool idea. The models I think kill her the easiest are the ones with reliable knockdowns to bring her defense down to 4+, but if they have to first knock her down, deal 10 damage, then 3 more on def 5+ (or another knockdown and then 4+) without generating momentum on the damage results for bonus time, it might become more trouble than it´s worth. (Especially if they have to do it across 2 activations, giving you the ability to keep Scalpel back until she´s needed, healing 4hp and putting reanimate on Pelage after one model has already committed.) You might argue that keeping your captain close to Pelage for this interaction to work is a bit to much of an investment, but it´s a neat trick that can catch opponents off guard, and it´s not like Pelage with singled out and possibly snared is a bad combo with Scalpel from the get go.

4 hours ago, Frepet said:

Reanimate on Pelage is actually quite a cool idea. The models I think kill her the easiest are the ones with reliable knockdowns to bring her defense down to 4+, but if they have to first knock her down, deal 10 damage, then 3 more on def 5+ (or another knockdown and then 4+) without generating momentum on the damage results for bonus time, it might become more trouble than it´s worth. (Especially if they have to do it across 2 activations, giving you the ability to keep Scalpel back until she´s needed, healing 4hp and putting reanimate on Pelage after one model has already committed.) You might argue that keeping your captain close to Pelage for this interaction to work is a bit to much of an investment, but it´s a neat trick that can catch opponents off guard, and it´s not like Pelage with singled out and possibly snared is a bad combo with Scalpel from the get go.

Snared is also pretty nice to have in the Morts.

Yes, choosing to be snared is great fun, really digging her so far. Have just vassal play tested using Cosset as a proxy, but plan to start testing her against other players in my area. Just sucks we won't have her for a few more months. Also need to start testing Bonesaw again, because I have relied on Mist for my main striker. I don't even have Bonesaw painted yet.

So, more importantly then 6, what's our 10 now?

Ob, Scalpel, Dirge, Graves, Cosset, Skulk, Pelage, BP&M, Casket, Ghast?  Though Silence is never bad in your 10.   I am not sure we need both Cosset and Pelage.   

Though I still have to say that I am not really enthusiastic of getting just anOTHER model with such a low HPLevel. It's actually a new record. And Dark Allure could in return cause opponents to just opt for the higher damage results that don't yield Momentum. It basically creates an "I don't care" situation where the opponent can just ignore momentum and go wild, which I am not particularly a Fan of. Also Wake the Dead costs 2 Influence, and in my humble opinion it is still false advertisement to call Morts the guild with the most Influence in the bank. Objectively false. They are just on the average if you take Scalpel, and not really Influence efficient as well as far away from having the strongest Character Plays in the game. Casket and Ghast should just generate 2 Influence as well. Easier said than realized because of balancing issues, but so far at this point it seems to be the morts theme to lose one or two models per round. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said I don't think I am going back to Morts if HP isn't raised significantly throughout the Guild. Ratcatchers it is then, teaming with maaaaaaybe vetGraves and definitely Bonesaw. Love the synergy with that one particular model the Ratcatchers provide. (Pundits know which one I mean)

I wonder if simply removing the MP cost of using Football Dervish would make Bonesaw more appealing. It certainly would help if the risky play didn´t completely drain our momentum pool in addition to having a reasonably high chance of failing.

38 minutes ago, Frepet said:

I wonder if simply removing the MP cost of using Football Dervish would make Bonesaw more appealing. It certainly would help if the risky play didn´t completely drain our momentum pool in addition to having a reasonably high chance of failing.

That would mean, that Bonesaw could just stay still, and possibly generate 8 Mom with 4 inf. Sounds a bit much. I agree, that the play is risky as it is, but I don't think removing the MP cost is the way to fix him.

55 minutes ago, 6tus said:

That would mean, that Bonesaw could just stay still, and possibly generate 8 Mom with 4 inf. Sounds a bit much. I agree, that the play is risky as it is, but I don't think removing the MP cost is the way to fix him.

That sounds terrible xD My intent was to make it not be a net loss of momentum for the morticians to utilize the skill fully, but that was indeed a bad idea. Carry on! :D

I'm leaning towards trying a straight Obulus list. Lots of good options now.

Obulus

Dirge

Brainpan & Memory

Cosset

Casket

Ghast

Graves1

Pelage

Silence

Skulk

Just had a sneaky game, took Skulk, Pelage, Obs, Dirge, Bonesaw, and Graves. Opponent was playing sBrisket, who was new to him.

Impressed with the nuisance that Skulk made of himself, Pelage didn't get to do too much.. although when she did she took an enourmous chunk out of Fangtooth when she finally did. 

It's been a while since I've played Morts regularly, but new players have sparked my interest :)

On 2/1/2018 at 4:12 AM, Frepet said:

That sounds terrible xD My intent was to make it not be a net loss of momentum for the morticians to utilize the skill fully, but that was indeed a bad idea. Carry on! :D

Maybe it could become a Heroic play and have a stipulation that the additional pass doesn't generate MP?

In any case, it might just be my inexperience, but Cosset and Pelage sound awesome together.

Would a 1-4 or 0-6 gameplan become achievable? I'm thinking the following lineup.

Scalpel - Dirge - oGraves - BP&M - Cosset - Pelage