boda317

Newbie help please

so I tried the game in season 1 and realized that the butchers weren't for me. A friend has gotten me back into the game and I was able to get my hands on both farmers sets for relatively cheap. Can someone explain how each guy with best? Or send me a link to a post that already explains that?

@boda317 Typically, the standard list would include Thresher, Millstone and Tater. Thresher would be kicking off himself, positioned centre pitch and tapping the ball as close to the line as he dares. 

If the opponent leaves the ball anywhere near the goal, Thresher immediately launches forward, hits someone for MP - maybe a KD, as this will allow him to dodge towards the goal, grab the ball and score.

If the opponent manages to get the ball in a safe place, Millstone activates, drops a harvest marker near Tater and uses Get Out to push Thresher and Tater up the pitch.

So, with a stock opening you should have a good position for the rest of the game. Not got time to go through all the models, but if there is someone you are struggling to understand, or you opponent has a team you just can't beat, please ask 

Jackstraw almost always ends up in the list as well, due to his ability to drop 2 Harvest markers almost wherever you want them. His teleport is great for getting him to the ball, crowd outs, tackles etc. If going for teleports I tend to place an HM in 4" of Jack, THEN place the AoE touching it, so you can maximise range and make it easier for yourself. Don't forget he has to move to pick up the ball, just the placement won't do it (been caught out by that...)

Typically Grange is more of a support captain, who relies on the rest if the team to do a bunch of work. Thresher is more of a do it all captain by contrast, who likes support from his team, to do most of the work himself.

As a result from this players like Bushel, Windle, and Fallow will only be brought by Captain Grange. Bushel is a serious goal threat when you use her Im open character play. She passes the ball to someone (usually someone with a 3 die kick stat which gets buffed to a 4 die with grange’s passive trait) then dodges 4 inches, bushel uses im open to get the ball passed back for her to dodge 4 more inches, walk up 6 inches and kick an 8 inch goal for a 22 inch goal threat. Windle is a damage dealer, but can be easy for the opponent to shut down. If you can get him rolling he is a machine. Fallow is absolutely amazing. She can be a deniel piece by using between a rock and a... to jog into melee to help teammates. Generally she activates close to the end of the turn to have a high tac, and go deal a tonne of damage. When allocating to fallow she likes 0,1, or 3 influence depending if she is near harvest markers or not going to be doing anything that turn, but the ability to get influence by removing the harvest markers makes her flexible where if she had zero influence she still can get 4 influence during her activation. 

Tater, Milstone, Jackstraw, and Harrow are players that work great with both captains. Tater IMO is the guild defining farmer. I take him in every lineup I play. He can deal a lot of damage, he has a great threat range with 2 inch melee and has counter charge next to harvest markers which makes him a nightmare to play against. Tater likes to charge into groups of 1 inch melee models to get scything charge on multiple models, then use mow dow to put out a lot of knockdown conditions. Millstone is very versatile. She can put out decent damage, and has bring a lot of support abilities with her character plays and being able to take conditions for the team. With grange she is a melee monster, with thresher she makes him ludicrously difficult to counter. To top it all of she brings 3 influence for the team and produces a free harvest marker, while not using manh influence on a turn by turn basis, which all the reapers like. Jackstraw is a footballer, that doesn’t look like he is a footballer on paper. The ability to teleport to harvest markers makes him deceptively mobile, with a long kick stat gives him weird angles to score goals. The teleport is also good for getting him out of bad spots to deny the opponent easy VPs, or can be used to get him into an advantageous position, crowding out key models. Crop dusting is the best way to put harvest markers right where you need them, like for Thresher to use don’t fear the... with. Harrow is a good support piece and battery. He sits back and keeps your team healthy, puts out a harvest marker if he is near the captain, and brings tooled up to buff damage. Like most farmers he has 2 inch melee which is my favourite rule in the game for models to have. 

Ploughman is the best player, that i never have a spot for. He is an incredible solid player and does neat things. Sadly whenever im picking a 6 man lineup he just doesn’t make the cut because there are so many great Farmers players that do what im looking for with that spot in the line up better. People will have better advice on him because i havent gotten him on the pitch too much to tell what role he does best. 

Mascot choices is mostly personal preference. Buckwheat is all offence, while peck brings a less potent offence for some support abilities. The donkey is a great goal threat with the help of harvest markers, and can contribute some damage and knockdowns. Peck has a heroic, a situational one, but when you use it, it is powerful. Cocky changes some match ups by being able to ignore a condition, which combos well with millstone and players you want to counter attack with. Momentous 1 on one in pecks playbook makes generating momentum if it charges via sic em or because you generated a lot of influence from harvest markers, and be a serious threat if you combine it with things like threshers legendary play, tooled up, honest labour, and all the crowd outs you can get with farmers.